3rd Trimester

Does DH attend your weekly appts with OB?

Wondering if yoru DH attends all your weekly appts as you are much closer to delivering? If he does attend does he stay in the room during yoru internal exam....

I'm not yet at my weekly appts so I am curious what most are doing? Thanks!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Does DH attend your weekly appts with OB?

• Nope.  I don't see the point of him coming.  All they do is weight, check my pee, doppler, and do an internal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • He hasn't been going to every appointment this pregnancy (instead he'd stay home and watch our girls). Every now and then they'd all come along just to hear the heartbeat.

Now that I'm down to my weekly appointments he's going to HAVE to drive me. I'm not comfortable driving myself, even though it's not far. Steering wheel crushes my belly.

And yes, he stays in the room for internals. I just have him come stand by my head.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DH only comes to U/S appointments. 
  • I already know DH won't be able to. If he happens to be off at the time, he'll join me, but he's saving up every minute of personal/sick time for after the baby is here.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DH has been to all except for one appt with me. Last week I had my GBS test and he didn't leave the room. You'd be covered up, I'm sure. Plus, it isn't really anything he hasn't seen (or likely done -- well, maybe not check your cervix...) before. ;-)
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagegoldenleaves:
    I already know DH won't be able to. If he happens to be off at the time, he'll join me, but he's saving up every minute of personal/sick time for after the baby is here.

This.. If I need him to, he will. But we are saving the time.

• No, he has only come to three of the u/s.

It just doesn't make sense for us for him to take time off for a standard issue pee-in-a-cup/blood pressure/fundal height appointment.

As the u/s were not with my doctor, he will come to one appointment before I am due to meet her. Naturally, she may not even deliver our baby but he would like to meet her once.

• No, I've been having weekly visits and he has not been coming.  He is saving his time off for the birth and after the birth.
  • DH came to the ultrasound appts. He came to the one this week in case they decided to induce. He will be taking me next week (hopefully  will not be going) if LO isn't here. He stayed in the room for the internal.
  • He hasn't been to an internal yet because of his work schedule. I want him to come to at least one..so he will probably come to 39 week..and 40 week if we have one. He came to the monthlys..but weeklys are just too much for both of us to work out with out work schedules.
  • No. DH has only been to 3 appointments: 2 u/s and my first dr. appt confirming I was pg.
  • With DS he only attended the "biggies" - basically when we were going to get a sonogram. We got like 5 sonograms so he went to most.

With this pregnancy he's been coming to them all, because I like to have him deal with DS so I can talk to the doctor without being distracted :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • nope. they are not too exciting.
    DS1 10/5/09 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We aren't there yet, but I don't know if he will be able to come to all of them. Maybe if we do later appointments, or Saturday ones. He's come to all of them so far, but he's been able to plan ahead and work from home those days. Or at least leave early, like he'll schedule meetings in the am and leave after then.
  • I'm not yet at weekly appointments either, but I think that he'll definitely come to my 36-week appointment, since my OB said that would be sort of a question-and-answer session about L&D (though of course I can ask questions any time).

He likes to come to the appointments he can, so we'll just see when they are scheduled!

"For a long time there were only your footprints & laughter in our dreams & even from such small things, we knew we could not wait to love you forever." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We schedule our appointments around DH's work schedule. He works 4 10's so we make our appointments for Tuesdays. I asked him in the beginning if he wanted to go to them and he decided he wanted to be there every step of the way. He's been there for the internal and GBS test, he doesn't care. He's more concerned about my comfort.
  • Mine has been to every one! And yes, he stays for the internals. He's just as excited to hear how things are progressing (or not) as I am!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yup! My DH has been to all but one appointment with me (and he caught hell for that one because it was the first meeting with the midwife). He likes to know exactly what's going on and it's nice that he can tell his family stuff and I'm not repeating myself eleventy billion times to family.
  • imageAMYfromKY:
    Nope.  I don't see the point of him coming.  All they do is weight, check my pee, doppler, and do an internal.

this, i haven't started having internals yet but we both agree it doesn't make sense for him to take time off work to go when it's not really going to be anything big.

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• imageAMYfromKY:
    Nope.  I don't see the point of him coming.  All they do is weight, check my pee, doppler, and do an internal.

This. He's only been to one appointment with me. The rest is all my mom coming along.

DH works odd schedules so it's pointless for him to come along. He tried to make the 2nd U/S but juuuust missed it. He waited in the lobby and we opened the gender envelope together.

God Bless our sweet baby James. Our son, born 11/22/09. Unplanned, Emergency C-section image
    "Wearing his BING CROSBY clothes and crooning...buuuh buuh buuuh" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We do them at home so DH works from home every Friday for the appts.  I have opted out of internals thus far but he would stay during those as well. 
  • He takes me whenever he can, which is most of the time.  I'm on bedrest right now and can't drive, so we schedule appointments when he gets off work.  This week my MIL took me.  And yes, DH will be in the room and has been in the room when I had internals.  He watched me give birth, it's not a big deal.  LOL. 
  • Mine comes with me. I schedule them on his off days. He likes to be involved and I like having his support. He does stay in the room, just up at my head if MD is "down there".
  • My hubby hasn't attended any appointments this time around and I don't think he will.  If he was there during an internal tho he would stay for it. 

• One ultrasound is all he went to. He's at work usually when I have my appointments.
  • DH has been laid off since January and just went back to work last Tuesday.  He had come to every appointment before my appointment last Tuesday when he went back to work!  We definitely can't afford for him to take off work to come to my appointments, so my mom will come to any that he can't. 

PS.  DH is a union ironworker and they have no sick/vaction time.  He only gets paid for the hours he works, so if rains and they can't work he doesn't get paid!

• As boring as the appointments are, DH loves them. He's been to every single one since I hit 2nd tri. He says it's because it's reassuring to him that the pregnancy, the baby, is doing okay. Especially the HB part. I'm fine with it. Wink

• Yup.  He hasn't missed a single appointment.  But our OB has been great at scheduling us for a time slot after 4pm.  So DH just goes to work early that day to make up for the missed 1/2 - 1 hour.  His boss doesn't care.  DH likes to go because he gets to hear the HB and he likes to asks questions.

It helps that our house, the OB, and DH's work are all less than 5 minutes away from each other.  If this wasn't the case I don't know if he would have been able to do it.

• My husband comes to appts., unless he is out of town on business.  It does seem kind of pointless when I'm just peeing and getting weighed but he likes to hear the heartbeat.  When I have exams, he stays at my head.  I try to get the appts. first thing in the morning or late in the day to fit his schedule.  It makes me feel better to have him there in case I forget to ask a question I had or if something comes up (once we had to get an u/s unexpectantly because the dr. couldn't find the hb with the doppler).  I guess what it comes down to is that my husband likes to be there and I like the support.
  • Yep, DH comes to them all and always makes sure I schedule for when he is off work. He gets more excited than I do, I think. =)

During my 1st internal at the last appt, he held my hand and let me squeeze his since it was really uncomfortable. We joke that it's practice for labor.

It doesn't matter if he came to them or not, but really, it's just one little tiny ritual that we share and make fun, and I love it.

• Absolutely! DH hasn't missed one OB appt. with either of our children. He drives his truck so he can go to work right after each appt. He loves hearing the heartbeat at each appt. and there is a curtain in the corner they can draw shut for visitors that don't want to see internal checks. He doesn't use this though, obviously, since he is the one who got us into this predicament in the first place! LOL! ;)
  • Nope. It'd be a waste of time for him.
  • He has always tried to come but has missed a few here in there. But since I'm now labeled high risk due to pree he refuses to not be there in case I get admitted again. 
  • And yes he has stayed in the room for it all even my colposcopy. 
  • DH has gone w/ me to every single appt. The only thing he missed was one blood test..which I didn't really care about. I don't make him go, but he wants to...so it's nice :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH only went to the very first appt. and the big u/s.  There is nothing exciting for him to see at any other appt.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH has only missed 2 appointments so far. However he changed positions at his job and will not be at the remaining unless needed.
  • imageAMYfromKY:
    Exactly
  • Yes he goes.  I am not doing internals but he stayed during my strep b test.

Heck, he was there for my HSG, so he's seen my tubes with dye being shot through them.  He can certainly handle being there for an OB exam

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"