Baby Showers

Did your mom give you your shower?

I always thought this was a big NO but I see alot of ppls mom giving showers....

Re: Did your mom give you your shower?

• My mom and 4 friends are doing mine.
  • From what i've heard, it's a no-no for bridal showers but ok for a baby shower. My mom is doing it in conjunction with my SIL.
  • Loading the player...
  • My mom and sister are doing it together.
  • My mom and friend are hosting.
  • My mom & sister in law are throwing one of mine.  His Mom & aunt are throwing the other one.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • NO! I thinks it's super tacky. Whether it's a bridal shower or baby shower it's still an event where you are asking for gifts. Immediate family (grandma, mom, MIL, sisters, and SIL) should not be begging for gifts for you.You are right...it is a big NO. I see no difference in the people who's mom host their shower and those who host their own.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageKenza:
    NO! I thinks it's super tacky. Whether it's a bridal shower or baby shower it's still an event where you are asking for gifts. Immediate family (grandma, mom, MIL, sisters, and SIL) should not be begging for gifts for you.You are right...it is a big NO. I see no difference in the people who's mom host their shower and those who host their own.

Gosh, that's funny...my mom and I just hosted a shower for my sister and we never once "begged" someone for a gift.  People have their own brains and their own free will.  They could come or not come, bring a gift or not send one.  In fact, guests were all treated to a very nice lunch, dessert, and we received many emails afterword about what a nice gathering it was.  But I guess you would know better, being that you weren't there and all.  Confused

OP, I think it really depends on your circle.  In some more "traditional" areas, this could be seen as a no-no, but I think even that perception is changing.  My sister's high school and college friends all live out of state.  None of them were able to come, but that doesn't mean that my sister shouldn't have had a shower.  In my family and in our circle of friends, showers are frequently hosted by family members, so nobody thought anything of it.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageJennyAnne022776:

imageKenza:
    NO! I thinks it's super tacky. Whether it's a bridal shower or baby shower it's still an event where you are asking for gifts. Immediate family (grandma, mom, MIL, sisters, and SIL) should not be begging for gifts for you.You are right...it is a big NO. I see no difference in the people who's mom host their shower and those who host their own.

Gosh, that's funny...my mom and I just hosted a shower for my sister and we never once "begged" someone for a gift.  People have their own brains and their own free will.  They could come or not come, bring a gift or not send one.  In fact, guests were all treated to a very nice lunch, dessert, and we received many emails afterword about what a nice gathering it was.  But I guess you would know better, being that you weren't there and all.  Confused

OP, I think it really depends on your circle.  In some more "traditional" areas, this could be seen as a no-no, but I think even that perception is changing.  My sister's high school and college friends all live out of state.  None of them were able to come, but that doesn't mean that my sister shouldn't have had a shower.  In my family and in our circle of friends, showers are frequently hosted by family members, so nobody thought anything of it.

No need to take offense. I was just giving my "traditional" opinion. I never said anything about a shower not being a nice event whether it's hosted by mom or someone hosting their own. I wasn't trying to be rude I was just answering the question.

• I've read all this before but I still believe in the old fashion way. That's how my family and friends all feel.

• my mom is doing it for me... I don't understand what is so wrong with it??
  • imageella.mabel:
    From what i've heard, it's a no-no for bridal showers but ok for a baby shower. My mom is doing it in conjunction with my SIL.

?

This.?

• I'm sure my mom will throw my baby shower when I have a baby, and she'll probably throw my bridal shower when I get married. To me its more important that someone very close to you throws these showers than whether or not its traditional or considered bad ettiquette. My mom is my best friend and I can't think of a better person to plan some of the most special days in my life!
  • there is nothing wrong with your mom hosting or cohosting your baby or bridal shower, the only major no no I have heard is hosting your own bridal/baby shower, always keep in mind that you should do what you feel comfortable doing no matter what other posters thoughts are, the majority of the time you are not invitng people here,
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKenza:

I've read all this before but I still believe in the old fashion way. That's how my family and friends all feel.

While I honestly would love it if this still worked everywhere...not a single one of my friends ever even thought about a baby shower.  My MIL and SIL kind of offered, moreso assumed they were hosting (odd but sure...) and my aunt is hosting another.  I don't have a very large group of friends actually since leaving high school and many of them are male and bachelors to boot so I appreciate the offers I got from family to host a baby shower.  I was fairly certain I wouldn't have one thrown by anyone outside my family but they are both pretty much just family showers too....IDK if that makes it any better traditionally?  I like old fashioned but I know that it can't always work...

• yes, my Mom threw me one
  • I had 4 showers (3 with the first baby) and 1 with the 3rd.  My mom did not throw any of my showers.   The first 3 were thrown by 1) cousin, 2) friend from church, 3) co-worker and the 4th shower I had was a friend from our new church.
  • Mom and good friend of family are throwing it together :)
  • My mom and my BFs mom threw my shower
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom did along with my grandma and best friend. It was at my parents house and my dad made all the food. I am happy she did, it was special for her to get to be involved in that way.
    www.guyandevashop.com
  • My mom is with the enlisted help of her sister (food, invites, behind the scenes). My one friend is doing the hosting the day of since my mom and aunt aren't comfortable with that part.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I see it being done more but my Mother would NEVER ever offer or even entertain the idea.  I would not let her do it either.  Just not something we have seen personally and I don't think our circle would accept it.
  • My mom and MIL threw mine....so!  No biggy if my friends weren't involved in organizing it.  I even wrote out the invites but filled in the RSVP # as my mom's and the return address on the envelope was my MIL's.  I could care less about etiquette at this point.  Party turned out great.
  • I think all the showers I have been to have been thrown by the person's mom. I don't see what the big deal is.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• i had no one else to throw me a shower....
  • My mom and sister threw one, my 2 aunts threw another one, and 2 co workers threw the 3rd. 

My mom said, "well we need to start planning the shower!" when i was about 20 weeks or so.  She didn't think twice about it and I know she had a good time planning it.  No one thought anything of it. 

• Actually my mom will be throwing the shower down in California with my sister as I'm in Oregon and up here my mother-in-law will be throwing it... As it happens I was forced to co-host my bridal shower as no one but my sister stepped forward to do so, and she lives in Cali and therefore there was no where but my house.  I don't think it was wrong at all, depending on your circumstances.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagemamachama:
    I'm sure my mom will throw my baby shower when I have a baby, and she'll probably throw my bridal shower when I get married. To me its more important that someone very close to you throws these showers than whether or not its traditional or considered bad ettiquette. My mom is my best friend and I can't think of a better person to plan some of the most special days in my life!

This.

My mom and maid of honor hosted my bridal shower.

My mom is hosting my baby shower.  

She is my best friend and is finanically able to host the shower as well.  Additionally, it is going to be held at my house *gasp* as it was the best choice out of our 2 homes.

I guess it just depends on your social circle...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"