Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Does anyone regret NOT having an epidural?

I doubt anyone would regret going natural but I'm still curious nonetheless. If you are, can you state why?
TTC#1=Feb 2009: 50 mg Clomid+Ovidrel shot+Metformin+Dexamethasone+TI=BFP!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2=July 2011: Surprise BFP: Chemical Pregnancy

Re: Does anyone regret NOT having an epidural?

• No way. i did not have a choice, I wanted one but went too fast. I think I pushed more effectively without one (14 mins, it was really only 3 pushes though).

Im curious to see if anyone else regrets it, having chosen to go natural though.

• I regret my epidural not working, does that count?

Are you planning on going natural? If so, you can use my story to keep motivated to say no to drugs. The epidural failed but I was still stuck in bed since I had one. When you're having contractions, the one thing you want to do is MOVE. Not being able to was the worst part of labor. 

DS May 12, 2009 DD September 7, 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • imageflutiefrostie:

I regret my epidural not working, does that count?

Are you planning on going natural? If so, you can use my story to keep motivated to say no to drugs. The epidural failed but I was still stuck in bed since I had one. When you're having contractions, the one thing you want to do is MOVE. Not being able to was the worst part of labor. 

I agree with this...I was moving all over the place with my contractions. I asked for an epi but by the time the anesthesiologist got there, I was 10cm. I couldnt imagine not being able to move throughout that kind of pain.  

• imageflutiefrostie:

This is my biggest fear as far as epis go and one of many reasons I'll go sans epi again.

imageimage

• imageflutiefrostie:

This is exactly what happened to me. If I ever give birth again, I'm not getting one. The pain was brutal, and I couldn't move. It blew.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • Yes, but not for the reason of your intended question.

I didn't want an epidural for pain, I was going to go nautral. BUT I had a few complications and ended up needing an emergency c/s. I had to be completely under on general anesthesia instead of getting the epi/spinal block.  So my reasons for regretting it are: I didn't get to see my son until 3 hours after my surgery when I woke up and even then I wasn't sure what was going on.  I missed all of those first moments...seeing him, hearing him, seeing DH's reaction, etc.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My epidural failed....3 times.  The pain hurt so bad (he was sunny side up), that everything is a complete blur.  I don't remember anything except for the pain.  That might not sound so bad, but believe me...it's not.  My DS was in distress (they believe he was on his cord) and they put an oxygen mask on me...I don't remember a thing.  Kind of scary I don't remember something so big and important. 

ETA:  I may be in the minority here, but I didn't want to move.  I stayed in the same position on my left side for the majority of the time...after they broke my water (so about 20 hours).

• I know this isn't your question...but I loved not having an epi. I knew nothing was getting to my baby that wasn't natural, and I was up and about right after she was born. I did a Hypnobirth & waterbirth, and I went completely natural. I gotta say though...if I hadn't prepared for it, as in doing the hypnobirth, it would have been difficult for me.
  • Yes.  I think childbirth sucks and, all things being equal, I'd much prefer the experience numb from the waist down because I see nothing fantastic about being in mind-blowing pain.

However, after having a horrific epidural experience, I decided I'd never, ever go through that again and went without with my other 2 deliveries.

I don't really REGRET not having it, but I really wish my 1st experience with it wasn't so awful because, for the hour that baby worked, it was pure heaven!

• I got the epi but didn't work so I ended up feeling everything. In the end I'm glad I felt it all. It was such an amazing (yet very painful) experience.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I plan on going natural but the thought of it terrifies me since I have a low tolerance for pain. Then again, an epidural makes me run the other direction as well.

I know I didn't ask if you guys loved going natural but I would absolutely love to hear natural birth stories as well!

TTC#1=Feb 2009: 50 mg Clomid+Ovidrel shot+Metformin+Dexamethasone+TI=BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2=July 2011: Surprise BFP: Chemical Pregnancy
  • I have a pretty low pain tolerance and I was able to get to 7 cm without medication, and even then I thought it wasn't *that* bad. But the worst times were having to lie in bed while the nurse got a baseline on my contrax or monitored the babe for a bit. Sucked.

I got epis with both kids-- with DD I felt nothing, but with DS I was able to move my legs, etc, and definitely felt the urge to push and was able to feel DS crown, etc. I think the epi was good to get me to rest, and relax a bit (he was born at 504AM so we'd been in the hospital all night!) but I was still able to experience the birth.

I'll probably try to go with Nubain with #3 to see if I can go naturally. What are your fears about the epi? 

• After my horrific epi experience with #1, I swore it off for the others.

#2 was an induction.  I was 4cm and 100% effaced and she was right there, so they broke my water.  4.5hrs later, she shot out with no pushing.  It was really easy, actually.  I walked.  I got in the tub.  I sat in a rocking chair.  I used a peanut birthing ball.  

#3 was an induction 2wks early due to Pre-E and PIH.  I was only 1.5cm and 50% effaced and she was up in my ribs.  I got oral Cytotec and walked....and walked.....and walked.....I started to get really depressed because I was barely dilating and she wasn't moving down.  But, I was effacing, which I guess is the point of the Cytotec.  Then, they hit me with the pitocin.  I walked some more.  I used the ball.  I sat in the rocking chair.  I got in the tub.  Finally, I was at 5cm, but she was still really high up.  I got in every bendable, pretzle-like position known to man trying to get her to come down.  Finally, she did and they broke my water.  Things went pretty fast then and, 2.5hrs later, she came flying out with one tiny push.  That one was hard.  It was long.  I was convinced I had set myself up for disaster with an induction when I clearly wasn't ready.  Not that I had choice because my kidneys were shutting down, but still.....I was getting so depressed walking that hall for 20hrs given my last labor was only 4.5hrs.  

Like I said, I'd prefer to be numb and not feel any of it.  But, that wasnt an option.  So, I made the best of it.  I had a doula with me for the 3rd.  I kept a sense of humor about it all, screamed my head off sometimes, but, unlike my 1st delivery with the horrible epi, I wasn't mean to everyone.  :-)   I'm surprised my OB even spoke to me again after that 1st delivery!  

• I am happy that I went natural and wouldn't have done it any other way (assuming I had no medical complications and had a choice). I think what helped me (and DH) was being prepared to go natural - being educated about what was happening to my body, why it was happening, and how to manage it. While I can't deny it was painful, I think since I knew what was happening, it was far more tolerable. I highly recommend the Bradley Method - it was great for me and for DH, who was AMAZING while delivering.

ETA: I delivered at a birthing center, so an epidural wasn't an option. I did most of my laboring at home in the tub and arrived at there 10cm dilated - DD was born 45 min later.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a homebirth, so an epidural was not even an option, let alone something I even wanted or considered. ?That being said, during the most difficult part of my labor (you could call it transition, but in all honesty when you're there you aren't remembering all that stuff from books and child birth classes and what "stage" you're at) I did think "oh this is why women want an epidural." ?It wasn't so much the pain it was the not knowing when it was all going to be over. ?It's easy to feel overwhelmed and impatient, which makes the pain seem unbearable, but it totally is bearable and you can do this. ?However, you really have to be committed to the idea of natural childbirth and do the deep, yoga-type breaths...don't scrunch up your face and tense up your body and yes, moving around (or at least having the option to) is key. ? I labored in the shower with my husband for an hour and that was soooo WONDERFUL to have the warm water running all over me. ?I also labored in bed on my left side in an effort to try and rest up before the pushing and that was helpful too. ?I also would like to mention I had my husband next to me for the last 4 hours of labor rubbing my back during every contraction...every little thing helps even if I doesn't take the pain away completely. ?Pushing is wonderful because it means you're at the end and all those contractions are now going to help you get your baby out and before you know it, you have your baby in your arms and the pain is just a faint memory. :)
  • I've done it both ways and don't really regret either experience.
  • I went in with my birth plan in hand stating "no epidural" - after almost 10 hours of excruciating back labor I was salivating for the epidural.

I am glad I got it, I was able to enjoy LO's birth & the first words she heard outside of the womb was not the string of curse words & prayers for God to kill me. My first wasn't nearly as bad, but I decided to get the epi ahead of time so that was my birth plan.

Honestly, the second time around (pain & all) was the most enjoyable out of the 2. I was well informed & made decisions as things went along.

Just go in with an open mind. You might make a different decision to fit your labor. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • nope so happy I went natural..
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Just so you have a contrasting opinion, I'd like to say that my epidural went FANTASTIC. I have a low pain tolerance as well, and was ready for the epi when I was around 5-6 cm. It didn't hurt too bad at all, and IMO it was worth that little stick compared to the pain of labor. P.S. I could still move, but just felt numb everywhere. It wasn't at all like I turned to stone from the waist down. GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"