3rd Trimester

ANyone not take any classes?

I was about to sign up for a class for DH and I and was wondering if they are worth it.  ANyone not do any classes?

Re: ANyone not take any classes?

• We didn't take childbirth classes, but we did take a breastfeeding class.
  • Well my Dr. told me the breastfeeding class really is not worth it.  I have read a few books, but she said the best way to learn is to just do it.

We were thinking of the new parent class, but wondering if it is things we really can't just figure out.

• Loading the player...
  • I didn't and I'm glad. Everything I read in books and on here was enough for me to feel comfortable and confident going into labor.

I did take a breastfeeding class and found that to be a waste of time. Again, books, 0-6 and the breastfeeding board helped me way more than the class did to prepare and then once he was here, the nurses and lactation consultants at the hospital were phenomenal in helping me when I needed it.

If you don't want to take a class, don't. Just do some reading and you'll be fine. I don't think the classes introduce too many women to new info, I think they just help husbands be actively involved.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We aren't taking the childbirth class either. I'd like to take infant care/cpr, but DH doesn't seem to be too interested. I think I may sign us up anyway. Of the two I think infant care would be much more useful.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    imageimageimage
  • imageMrsErinnElizabeth:
    We didn't take childbirth classes, but we did take a breastfeeding class.

this..my sister said it was helpful to her.  Even though she ended up not being able to BF long due to her LO being tongue tied.

• i thought about signing up for a birthing class, but haven't made any final decisions yet.  so as it stands now, we are not taking any classes.
  • My DH and I aren't going to take any classes. I read a bunch of books including La Leche Leagues book on breast feeding. i was present at my nephews birth so i feel confident in our doctor (who also delivered my nephew) and the hospital staff. I also trust my body to do what it is supposed to do and that my DH will help me get through the hard stuff.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPhotobucket
  • For DS I took the childbirth class and the breastfeeding class.  I liked the childbirth class for DH more than myself...so he had an idea of what to expect.

With this one we aren't doing any classes, just a hospital tour since we are delivering at a different (closer) hospital.

• My hubby and I took the classes with our first one, which is now 7 years old. I found it very helpful for breathing exercises and what-not. It was also helpful for him because then he was a lot more aware of what was going on with my body during labor. It gave him a sense of empowerment, like he was going to be able to help me through the contractions since he had the information. However, now that we are on number 4, we have are not taking any classes (same thing with 2 &3). Between the other stuff we've learned through experience, books and the internet, we are fully prepared...We know our "options".
  • I took classes because that's how my learning style works.  I need to be sitting there listening to someone talk and demo something as well as letting me have a go at it.  I do agree with PP's about it sometimes being more for the dads.  I think it helps the dads to see this more as a reality and to fully understand their role in supporting the moms.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We aren't taking a childbirth class...I'm still thinking about signing up for a breastfeeding class.  We have the "Laugh and Learn about Childbirth" DVD that a friend is letting us borrow. 

We took our L&D tour this weekend and the tour guide would have been our instructor.  I'm so glad I didn't sign up for the class...she was so annoying!!!  I could barely stand her for the 1 hour tour let alone 4 2-hour sessions!

• I've only taken the breastfeeding class it was somewhat helpful most of the things that were covered I had already read about. Other than that no I'm not planning on taking any classes.
  • imagei*heart*him:

Well my Dr. told me the breastfeeding class really is not worth it.  I have read a few books, but she said the best way to learn is to just do it.

This is strange advice from a doctor, IMO.  Most BFing problems stem from the mother not being aware of how to achieve a correct latch or what to do when problems arise.  I would think that prior knowledge would be far superior to trial and error in this situation.  Obviously you still learn as you go, but it's best to know as much as you can before you start, rather than going in blind.

JMO, anyway.

• Not signing up for any classes...not doing the hospital tour.  I figure a baby has NEVER not been born b/c mom didn't take a $100 class to tell her how.

Most moms that took it told me that what little they learned they forgot once labor started.

• I just took a birth class this weekend and it wasn't worth it.  If you had read any of the usual pregnancy books then you already knew all the info they brought up.  I couldn't believe the stupid questions some of the other class members brought up though.  OMG!  If you think people ask stupid questions on here....good lord. 

I've already signed up for a breastfeeding class and I plan to go.  Lucky for me, my insurance covered both of these classes or I think I'd have been pretty pissed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The only class I'm taking is an epidural class, which is required by the hospital if you want one during labor. I don't want one, but I'm taking the class just in case I change my mind in the heat of the moment.

Other than that, no classes for me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We took three classes, a childbirth class, a breastfeeding class, and a baby care class.

Personally, I wish we would have skipped all three.  The childbirth class didn't teach me one thing I hadn't already learned from a couple pregnancy books and an episode or two of Baby Story.  It was also pretty pricey, so for the money I wish I would have just rented a movie or something from the library.

The breastfeeding class was alright, I suppose.  Didn't really learn anything too earth-shattering there.  Again, nothing you couldn't get from reading a book/watching some shows/renting a movie.

The baby care class was more for my husband than anything.  I think it helped him feel a bit more prepared.  We went over things like how to bathe a baby, soothe a baby, swaddle a baby, etc.  For $20, this class was probably the best.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• Also...

As far as the breastfeeding goes... I learned more from the lactation consultant at the hospital and at my ped. office than I did from the class.  You really have to learn in the moment, and not by watching a woman with a fake breast nurse a doll.

One class I wish we would have taken was the Infant CPR class.  I assumed it was part of the Childcare class, but it obviously was not.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"