3rd Trimester

Not here much and don't want to start drama

but my curiosity is piqued now. What is Alice Springs deal? Why does she want a preterm baby so badly? What am I missing? I've read several posts by her and by other posters about either her having contractions constantly and going in to false labor or doing silly things that are rumored to trigger labor should her body be in labor mode.

WTF gives? I think the goal is to keep the baby IN your body until around 40 weeks or so, not trajectory force it out via tropical fruit ingestion. 

Re: Not here much and don't want to start drama

• Shallow Gene Pools.
    ?
    That is the only believable answer.?
  • Well my deal is I am at 37 weeks and I am going to be induced on the 24th so I would rather go naturally than on pitocin.
  • Loading the player...
  • why is your dr inducing you on the 24th? You arent' a passenger in your body, you do have a say over what happens.
  • 1.   That is TWO whole weeks away

2. Why are you being induced?

• to avoid shoulder dystocia.
  • do you have a medical condition that makes you unable to go the full 40 if not 42 weeks?
  • that makes no sense.
  • Now this explains things for me too... I was wondering what the heck had 3rd tri plucking their feathers out for. Hmm. I guess I have no opinion, I just wanted to find out what was going on.

• imageBonzer:

trajectory force it out via tropical fruit ingestion. 

i know it's a touchy post subject, but the visual image is pretty hilarious. 

• Isn't 37 weeks full term?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• 37 weeks is full term but it doesn't mean the baby's lungs are fully developed yet. 37 is just the point at which there is a greater likelyhood that the baby WON'T end up in the NICU. It doesn't mean anything other than that.
  • imageAliciaSpring:
    to avoid shoulder dystocia.

How is this going to avoid it? First of all, true dystocia is super rare and second it's not like your baby's shoulders are going to change size drastically between now and 39 weeks or 40 weeks or 41 weeks...  They just gain more weight (and even then, not all that much to make a huge difference at the very very end) and develop more. 

• imageSoap1:
    Isn't 37 weeks full term?

Yes, but there is a lot of development that goes on between 37 and 40 weeks and if you can keep them, safely, in there growing, it is best for them. 

• You would think if the Dr thought it was SO needed to have baby out ASAP he would induce sooner than two weeks from today right?

But nope, AWlicia has been trying to "naturally induce" for a few weeks now. Because we all know how safe and effective that is. She has also been keeping us all well updated on her status, eventhough she knows most people question/are sick of hearing about it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSoap1:
    Isn't 37 weeks full term?

It is.... but.....

• Hmmm... If Dr's are genuinely concerned don't they usually suggest a c-section to avoid the risk all together? I know that when I got to week 42 the dr's advised me that the safest thing to do to get my ELEVEN pound son out was have a c-section. But I went a full 42 weeks and knew he was large from week 29 on.

I'm confused why your dr's are making you get induced at 39 weeks to avoid it. That doesn't even make sense.

• imageJCM083009:

imageAliciaSpring:

How is this going to avoid it? First of all, true dystocia is super rare and second it's not like your baby's shoulders are going to change size drastically between now and 39 weeks or 40 weeks or 41 weeks...  They just gain more weight (and even then, not all that much to make a huge difference at the very very end) and develop more. 

I have never agreed on much with you, but I could hug you for this responce.

• imageAliciaSpring:

Just FYI induction boosts the risk for shoulder dystocia.

Have fun.

• imageBonzer:

Hmmm... If Dr's are genuinely concerned don't they usually suggest a c-section to avoid the risk all together? I know that when I got to week 42 the dr's advised me that the safest thing to do to get my ELEVEN pound son out was have a c-section. But I went a full 42 weeks and knew he was large from week 29 on.

I'm confused why your dr's are making you get induced at 39 weeks to avoid it. That doesn't even make sense.

She doesn't WANT a c section, wants to go naturally. I would think LO and Mommy's safety would be my first concern.

• imageJCM083009:

imageAliciaSpring:

Also, according to the AAFP (American Academy of Family Physicians):

Evidence is lacking to support labor induction or elective cesarean delivery in women without diabetes who are at term when a fetus is suspected of having macrosomia.14 In two studies of 313 women without diabetes, induction for suspected fetal macrosomia did not lower the rates of shoulder dystocia or cesarean delivery, nor did it improve the rates of maternal or neonatal morbidity.15 [strength of recommendation (SOR) evidence level A, meta-analysis] While labor induction in women with gestational diabetes who require insulin may reduce the risk of macrosomia and shoulder dystocia, the risk of maternal or neonatal injury is not modified. Not enough evidence is available to routinely support elective delivery in this population. (LINK)

When I failed the first glucose test, I did quite a bit of research on this.

• imageAliciaSpring:
    Well my deal is I am at 37 weeks and I am going to be induced on the 24th so I would rather go naturally than on pitocin.

don't you think there is MAYBE a reason you are being induced in 2 weeks and not today...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKrystalD7:
    imageJCM083009:

imageAliciaSpring:

I have never agreed on much with you, but I could hug you for this responce.

hehe I can live with that :)

• imageBonzer:

Hmmm... If Dr's are genuinely concerned don't they usually suggest a c-section to avoid the risk all together? I know that when I got to week 42 the dr's advised me that the safest thing to do to get my ELEVEN pound son out was have a c-section. But I went a full 42 weeks and knew he was large from week 29 on.

Lurking here... Couldn't help but read the "ELEVEN pound son" part of this.

HOLY CRAP. You deserve an award or something. This goes for anyone else who has carried and 11+ pound baby. Wow.

K, carry on...?

• Shoulder dystocia happens with a vaginal birth. Induction = vaginal birth. If this was a true reason for your Dr to want you to deliver early, wouldn't they schedule a c-section?

Just sayin...

• imageJenn.J.:

Shoulder dystocia happens with a vaginal birth. Induction = vaginal birth. If this was a true reason for your Dr to want you to deliver early, wouldn't they schedule a c-section?

Just sayin...

this. sounds like someone is just completely uneducated about pregnancy/labor/delivery in every way possible.

:::heads back to own board:::

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBonzer:
    37 weeks is full term but it doesn't mean the baby's lungs are fully developed yet. 37 is just the point at which there is a greater likelyhood that the baby WON'T end up in the NICU. It doesn't mean anything other than that.

Thank you.  Full term does not necessarily equal ready to be born!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"