Babies: 0 - 3 Months

I'm afraid I'm going to have to switch to formula

I have a chronic pain disorder that has finally returned. I have a doctor appointment (rheumatologist) next Wednesday. He'll run blood tests again. He was looking for Lupus before I got pregnant, so he'll probably run that panel too. Basically, we'll be looking for the blood results to confirm an increase in inflamation at which point he will put me on medication.

Sadly, and I'm almost crying just typing this out, this will be the end of me nursing my baby girl. My goal was a year, and it looks like I've only made it to 6mo. I feel like my body is failing me. Logically, I always knew it was an option. In my heart, I made it so long without any pain at all. I wish I could say I can just tough it out, but I know my body and I know that if I let this go untreated it will only get worse. I know that formula is not poison, Scott and I were both on it as babies, but I also really wanted to give her breastmilk til she was 1. Scott has terrible allergies and I have lots of stomach issues, so I was hoping to help prevent those.

I'm really sad about it, dreading my appointment. At the same time, when my arm and calf are throbbing and burning, I'm ready for medicine.

I'm just really sad.

Charlotte Elizabeth - March 15, 2009
Natalie Kate - October 4, 2011
Blighted ovum, d&c at 9w, July 2012
Blighted ovum, d&c at 10w, September 2013
BFP May 28, EDD February 4, 2015

Re: I'm afraid I'm going to have to switch to formula

• I'm so sorry, this must be so hard! Just try to keep reminding yourself that you are doing what is best for you. You'll be able to take care of your LO better if you are not in pain! GL.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Give yourself a hug and know that 6 months is quite a mile stone!   You did everything you could.  First and foremost that absolutely adorable baby needs a health mama and you are doing what is best for that baby by taking the medication!  GL and I hope everything goes well at your appointment.Smile
    DD #1 Amber Lynn 12/2000, DD #2 Leia Elizabeth 6/2009, DD#3 Aayla Ruth 08/2012. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm very sorry about your pain disorder and sorry that you are sad about the end of nursing.  But honestly I just don't understand why this upsets you so much.  Everyone has to stop nursing eventually, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with formula, except that it's more of a pain to make bottles all the time and expensive.  ;-)  Breastfeeding is not a cure for allergies or stomach issues.  I'm not trying to downplay your feelings in anyway, I hope you understand, it's just when people get so upset about not being able to breastfeed, I truly don't understand it.  You gave the gift of breastfeeding for several months and that is nothing to sneeze at!! 
  • I'm sorry to hear that you suffer from this pain but you should be so proud that you were able to bf for 6 months,that's great! Whatever is best for you is also best for your baby so don't feel disappointed.
  • I applaud you that you were able to BF for 6 months.  I am hoping to make it that long!  Plus by now ur LO should be eating foods too, so she wont be getting as much formula as she would have a few months ago.  I know its hard, but you have to do whats best for all of you!!  GL at your appt!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You did an awesome job!  6 months is amazing. 

I understand how you are feeling.  I have Rheumatoid Arthritis.  It was so bad before I got pregnant and I'm waiting for it to come back.  When I was pregnant I didn't think I would want to BF so I secretly hoped that I would get a flare up and that would take the guilt away from not nursing.  

I would be upset if I had to stop now too.  I am so sorry.  Just remember you did an awesome job.  You need to take care of yourself.  That beautiful baby needs a momma that isn't in pain and can play with her.  That's most important.  

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageberry25:
    I'm very sorry about your pain disorder and sorry that you are sad about the end of nursing.  But honestly I just don't understand why this upsets you so much.  Everyone has to stop nursing eventually, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with formula, except that it's more of a pain to make bottles all the time and expensive.  ;-)  Breastfeeding is not a cure for allergies or stomach issues.  I'm not trying to downplay your feelings in anyway, I hope you understand, it's just when people get so upset about not being able to breastfeed, I truly don't understand it.  You gave the gift of breastfeeding for several months and that is nothing to sneeze at!! 

Really? Because I think you are.

As a kid, weren't you sad when Christmas was over? How about the summer? Did you enjoy going to the doctor to get shots? You knew all of that was going to happen at some point. That's how I feel.

• imageJenG329:

You did an awesome job!  6 months is amazing. 

I understand how you are feeling.  I have Rheumatoid Arthritis.  It was so bad before I got pregnant and I'm waiting for it to come back.  When I was pregnant I didn't think I would want to BF so I secretly hoped that I would get a flare up and that would take the guilt away from not nursing.  

I would be upset if I had to stop now too.  I am so sorry.  Just remember you did an awesome job.  You need to take care of yourself.  That beautiful baby needs a momma that isn't in pain and can play with her.  That's most important.  

I have fibromyalgia. The doc is looking for lupus also. I wish none of this stuff, RA included, existed. I hope that you dont' have any flare ups for a long time!!

• Congrats for making it to six months!  You've given her a great start.
  • imageberry25:
     But honestly I just don't understand why this upsets you so much.  

Wow. That was pretty craptastic.

I'm so sorry to hear of this. I know I'll be upset when I wean my DS as well. As many of the pps have said though, 6 months is definitely an accomplishment, & your LO's tummy is much more mature now.

Good job & good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejen_and_scott:
    imageJenG329:

You did an awesome job!  6 months is amazing. 

I have fibromyalgia. The doc is looking for lupus also. I wish none of this stuff, RA included, existed. I hope that you dont' have any flare ups for a long time!!

Thanks, Jen!  I'm so sorry you have to be in pain.  I hope the meds work quickly and that you are feeling better soon.  If your daughter could talk, I'm sure she would tell you that she would rather have a mommy that feels good to play with.  That angry face she is making is in your siggy is because she's saying "Mom, I'm fine...stop worrying about me!!!"  

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congrats on making it to 6 months!  I know how hard it is to make that decision to stop breastfeeding.  It's that one bond you have with your LO that no one else has - before it was the bond during pregnancy that no one had.  You are right, formula is not poision, but it makes you feel so guilty not being able to give them what nature intended.

I only made it 2.5 months with my first baby, 4.5 months with my second.  I am now at the 4.5 month mark and praying I can make it to at least 6 months, but I am just taking it day by day.

Good luck with your appointment.  I hope the drs can give you some relief so you can enjoy some pain free days with your LO.  

• I know this feeling all too well. I had to stop breastfeeding after only 6 weeks due to DD's sensitivity to everything I was eating. It was a very sad time for me when I had to dry up my milk. But DD is doing much better on formula, and it's great to have DH's help with feedings.

Hang in there.

• I'm sorry you're so upset you can't BF till she's 1...but 6 months is really good.  You sound like a wonderful mommy and should be proud you made it this long!  Cheer up...it'll be just fine!  Stick out tongue 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry to hear this.  You deserve a big pat on the back for 6 months! 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Congratulations on your BFing success!! Know that you tried, and were successfull for a whole 6 months. That is an accomplishment. 6 months of BM is better than none! FWIW, after 6 months, they don't make as good of use of our immunities as they used too anyway..

I was in a similar boat a month ago, and formula isn't that bad. My supply tanked and I supplemented but gradually made the switch over. DS is happier, I'm happier, so it was worth it. (BFing got frustrating for the both of us.)

I know it's upsetting, and a kick to the ego, I was disappointed in myself too. But you need to take care of yourself also. If your happier/healthier, your DD will be happier/healthier. It's okay to feel down about it, don't let anyone tell you otherwise... it will get easier once you wrap your head around the idea.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am so sorry to hear that.  I know it probably doesn't help to hear this but 6 months is amazing.

I have Crohn's disease that has flared since I had Conor.  I'm terrified it will mean I have to start back on immunosuppressants, which means the end of breastfeeding.  I know what you mean about feeling like your body failed you, and wanting to just tough it out but knowing that only means you could get worse and that would be an ever worse outcome for your baby.

I hope by some miracle your doctor's appt. goes better than you expect and your pain goes away.  If not, I hope you're able to get some relief with the meds.

• 6 months is far more than most people do and a tremendous gift to your daughter.  Be proud of yourself.  Formula is not ideal, but it will allow your DD to get the nutrition she needs while you get the medication you need.  This is precisely the situation that formula is perfect for.  I know you're disappointed and sad, but try to remember that you're taking care of both of you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"