Babies: 0 - 3 Months

XP- newborn screaming at the breast

She won't latch without screaming bloody murder for a few minutes... and I feel awful trying to force her on. I feel like I'm hurting herSad Once she starts sucking she calms right down. Ideas?

Re: XP- newborn screaming at the breast

• Maybe change the position that you are feeding? Also if you are really full she may have a hard time latching. Or try expressing a little so that she can smell the BM and taste it right away, as it may get her to latch quicker.  Good luck!
  • DS did this for the entire first week he was born, but he wouldnt even latch on.  I started pumping and giving it to him in a bottle.  Now I'm an exclusive pumper.  He is definitely getting the hind milk because he is gaining weight so quickly.  I couldnt bare to have him screaming like that.  And DH can feed him too, which helps.  Keep at it though!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine did that too for a lil while. He only does it occasionally now. I have 2 ideas but not sure if either of them were the case.

-I wondered if it was because he got so hungry and worked up but still wasn't a pro at nursing and just got really frustrated.

-Also, I was wondering if the milk soaked up by the breast pads could have soured and made the nipple taste bad. 

Not sure, but keep working on it. It has basically stopped now for us.

• imagesnflwrs13:
    DS did this for the entire first week he was born, but he wouldnt even latch on.  I started pumping and giving it to him in a bottle.  Now I'm an exclusive pumper.  He is definitely getting the hind milk because he is gaining weight so quickly.  I couldnt bare to have him screaming like that.  And DH can feed him too, which helps.  Keep at it though!!

I get barely any output from the pump.. .probably because I DESPISE it! She does a little better if I give her a bottle to suck on for a few seconds and then try the breast. I know she is getting enough milk, the nipple shield is always full when I pull her off. I just wish I didn't need so many things to BF- a nipple shield, a bottle... I can't even breast feed without sitting in the recliner at the moment! 

• My LO did that. I would sing to her to calm her down. I am not a singer and sounded dumb to everyone but her. 
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO did this and still does on occasion - she also thrashes her head around like she is hunting for the breast, even though I'm trying to shove it in her mouth. The Happiest Baby on the Block actually talked about babies like this - said they get so worked up that they can't calm themselves back down, even when you are giving them what they want. It's becuase they have "poor state control" and just need some help calming down.

Keep trying and stay calm yourself - you can do it! It usually takes me 1-2 minutes at least to get LO to latch on, but once she does she is like a little barracuda! One thing that has helped is that I often give her gripe water or the baby gas-x before I feed her. I stick her in a bouncy chair on the table in front of me (usually while she's screaming for food) and put some in her mouth. As soon as she tastes it she knows dinner is on its way and she stops screaming long enough for me to get my breastfeeding pillow and get her situated to eat. Perhaps a routine like that would help you!

Hang in there!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"