Parenting

Bump Contest: Share a pregnancy/post-pregnancy fitness tip

Hi All,

We have a new contest and chance for you to win a Belly Bandit Ultimate gift bag ($572 retail value).

See here for rules and a description of the loot: https://tinyurl.com/nzuhr8

How do you enter?  Just reply below with your best health or fitness tip for new moms or moms-to-be on how to get back in shape after baby.  Whether it's something you're done, read, or heard,  we'd love your health and fitness tips. 

TIA and Good luck! 

Re: Bump Contest: Share a pregnancy/post-pregnancy fitness tip

• Make your workout something to look forward to and not dread. Do exercises that challenge you but don't bore you (for some that's the treadmill for others group classes) and make sure to fill your iPod with good motivating music. If I feel sluggish about going to the gym I'll upload a new song to have something to look forward to during my workout.Big Smile
  • Keep working out during your whole pregnancy. Whether its 20mins on the treadmill or an hour in an aerobics class, nothing gives you more energy (and helps you sleep better at night) than being active during the day. Exercising during pregnancy can also help you have an easier transition back to the gym post-pregnancy.  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Love to dance and hate to exercise?  Prenatal Bellydance is a great way to stay fit during pregnancy and a good way to shore up those abs post partum.  Make sure the class or workout is modified for pregnancy.    Bellydance is based on women's physiology and it's a lot easier than it looks!  It's also great for DH to watch you progress as you learn (trust me, beginner or advanced, it won't matter--bellydance is HOT!)

ETA:  and trust me, there aren't a lot of ways for pregnant women to feel sexy after a while! Wink

• I love taking my dogs for a walk everyday and I don't plan on stopping while I'm pregnant.  Walking is an easy way to get some exercise without overexerting yourself.  My OB suggested it help circulation.  You can take hubs with you to keep you company and to chat!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Be active with your baby after pregnancy, which will make it easier than 'squeezing in' a workout between naps, feedings, laundry, etc. For example, during naptime, take baby in the stroller for a walk around the neighborhood. Or, join a 'baby and me' class that will not only help you get fit, but is also quality bonding time for you and your little one.
    imageimage

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • As a working mom, I feel like my time with my son is so limited during the work weeks and I don't want to have to choose between spending time with him and working out, so, I incorporate my son into my workout routine - I take him out for walks in the stroller (which he loves!) and I even found a pilates dvd especially for moms that makes the baby part of the routine!
  • Buy a "Mommy and Me" yoga DVD. It's great for bonding with baby and great for you.
  • Find a group of moms to walk or exercise with (with babes in tow) so that it's both a social support group AND helping you get back in shape.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • The best tip I've heard is to take a Mommy Bootcamp/Stroller Fitness class. I plan to do that after our baby arrives... spend time with the baby, socialize with other new moms, and get a killer workout!
  • Eat well.  Walk with your baby - often. 
  • I have no idea as I have fallen off the workout wagon this pregnancy, but I look forward to hearing everyone else's responses.
  • Breastfeed if you can! The pounds literally melted away after my first because you burn so many extra calories. 

Also using the work out time as bonding with baby helps--there are lot of mommy and me yoga/work out classes out there!

BFP#1 twins--m/c Baby B-- DC#1 DS 03/22/05 BFP#2 m/c 2006 BFP#3/DC#2 DD 10/22/09 BFP #4! EDD 9/15/12 at 9 dpo BabyFruit Ticker
  • Make exercise a social time - you'll be more likely to keep up with it. Taking a boot camp class at the local YMCA was how I got back into shape after having my son. I looked forward to hanging out with my friends twice a week, it made the intense workout that much more fun!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Other than the normal videos and walking my dog, I like to tone my abs by sitting with my legs pointed strait in front of me leaning back with my arms stretched to support me and doing leg lifts.  I lift my feet about 6 inches off the ground and do 3 sets of 10 at a time.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Go on walks with your baby (and your husband!). I'm looking forward to this as a great way to get back in shape, and also to make sure I get out of the house and experience the world again!
    "For a long time there were only your footprints & laughter in our dreams & even from such small things, we knew we could not wait to love you forever." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Definitely start a program as early in your pregnancy as possible.  Find something you enjoy and stick with it.  I joined a prenatal water aerobics class and I am so glad I did!  Three days a week, I am getting a great workout and feeling weightless for an hour is absolute bliss!  Another great stress reliever and fitness outlet is yoga.  There are so many great DVD's available that make working out fun and easy for any level of fitness.
  • Let people help you!! That is the most important piece of advice I can offer. So much energy is zapped taking care of baby and house, working out and fitness can be the last things on our mind. The most useful tip I have been given and have thus far used, is that keep my health and fitness a priority by allowing others to help you reprioritize those other things which might take your time and energy!
  • Don't try to do too much too soon. It too 9 (10!) months to put the weight on, it's not going to come off over night. It's better to have realistic goals, instead of an outrageous goal of losing all the weight and getting back to pre-baby body in a month (or 2, 3!).?

I also agree to include baby/children in exercising. You're not as rushed because you don't have to worry about squeezing in time to exercise during naps, etc.

If you can't or don't want to exercise with baby, feel comfortable to leave DH alone with the baby so that you can have some Mommy time to exercise. Don't feel guilty about it. Working out and doing things for yourself only makes you a better Mom :) ?

• Yoga has been wonderful this pregnancy. As I've gotten farther along it has gotten more difficult, not only because I am tired, but because I am HUGE. However, afterwards I feel great!

Also, being pregnant in the summer has definitely been my friend (I know I might be in the minority)! But the pool has been great.  I love getting in and just kicking around. It doesn't feel like I have worked out too hard, but I know a good couple laps is better than nothing.

Lastly, like PP mentioned...walking the dogs.  DH and I have had a dog for over year, but I did most of the "taking care of." As I have recently incorporated long walks into our routine, DH comes along.  It is not only great exercise for me and the dog (DH, too!) but gives us a chance to relax and catch up without the interruption of TV, computer, work or chores. 

• Take baby out for walks everyday!  Either in a sling or stroller, it is great for both mommy and baby.  Not only is it great for burning calories, getting baby outside of the house, and helping to "tire out" baby for better naps, but it's also great for baby's vision.  Beng outdoors and having so many things to focus on both near and far really helps fine-tune baby's eyesight!
  • Pack away your maternity clothes as soon as you can.  Those belly panels are too forgiving and won't provide the motivation that is needed to get back into shape. 
  • Go for a walk..even if you don't feel like it, do it! It helps!

• Limit the junk food / empty calories, drink lots of water and walk/move often.  You don't need an elaborate diet or exercise regime.

• The best advice I've ever heard was from my mother. She was back to her prepreg weight within 6 weeks. She said with a combo of breast feeding (burns 500+calories a day), walking A TON and cutting calories (eat healthy!). It is a lot of work to stay on track but is worth it in the end!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • take your baby for walks everyday! good for you and baby. That's my plan :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Walk every day--even if you don't feel like doing it or the weather isn't cooperating. It is the least expensive exercise (only takes some comfortable shoes) and can be done almost anywhere.

Take your newborn with you, your dog, your neighbor, or your DH and just walk for about 30 minutes...especially after dinner when your metabolism slows down. It will help lower your blood pressure and avoid unnecessary weight gain. In no time you will feel soo much better.

• My DH and I set up a deal that if I lost the baby weight, I get x amount of money to spend on just myself!  That is going to be a HUGE motivator to do whatever I can to become fit again!  I plan on making it fun as well, by making workouts into a game thanks to the many fitness programs on Wii, and by including the baby in any way I can (walks, mommy & baby workouts, etc).  Reaching my goal of pre-pregnancy weight will be a great feeling, and having that $$$ at the end to pamper myself with will be so rewarding!
  • My hospital offers a stroller walking class after the baby is born to help with exercising.  My doctor said just walk.  You can break it up into 10 minute sessions during the day of needed.
  • Join a Strollerfit class!  It allows great exercise targeting your "mommy muscles" with your baby.  It is always easier to exercise with people in similars circumstances as you!

• Don't use pregnancy as an excuse to over indulge and become a couch potato. If your Dr. gives you the ok, do some kind of physical activity through out your entire pregnancy. You will feel better, look better, it will help with labor, and you will bounce back a lot faster. It's ok to enjoy indulgences but in moderation. Don't over do it. You will regret it later.
  • I've read that exercise is good for the baby and if you exercise while pregnant it will allow you to get back into shape easier after the baby comes.  While pregnancy brings exhaustion, the motivation I use is to remember that it is good for the baby.

• Stay active throughout your pregnancy and eat as healthy as possible. Afterwards, develop a routine and stick with it... in the first couple weeks do light exercises until your able to really work out and your cleared to do so. Stick with atleast 30 minutes of cardio a day if possible and you'll be good to go!
  • Yoga on dvd, it is fun too. 
  • Make sure not to neglect exercise during pregnancy, it's just like training for a race. Your body has to be prepared for childbirth.

The better you keep yourself in shape the easier your birth will be.

Try to walk/swim/elliptical etc 3-4 times a week and don't neglect strengthening your muscles! Lift weights as your body is going to be carrying around some extra weight for a few months!

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Swimming!!  Its great for the large muscles in your arms and your legs, back pain relief, and soothes sore joints and ligaments. It helps  to keep yourself cool, and the feeling of weightlessness is a necessary relief after walking around with all of the extra weight and fluid that pregnancy brings. What could be better than that?!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • You have to stay active during pregnancy, and at the same time realize your limitations. What worked when you weren't pregnant may not work during the pregnancy and that's ok. 30 minutes of walking or swimming makes all the difference in your energy levels and sleep quality.
  • For pregnancy the best advice I have so far against morning sickness is to eat often! I feel like I am constantly eating but I haven't thrown up once and I'm past 9 weeks now! I eat every 1.5 to 2 hours, try to eat as healthy as possible. I'll have toast with jam in the early morning then breakfast, a snack of yogurt or fruit then lunch, another snack of pudding or more fruit then dinner and another snack, usually cheese sticks for me at night. I'll indulge once in a while with ice cream or cake but I keep the portions small so my stomach doesn't get too full since that will bring on the upset stomach!
  • I found that swimming is the most wonderful form of exercise for me!  For one, in the summer it got me out of the heat and took ALL of the pressure off of my joints and allowed me to move like I could pre-pregnancy.  It was also something that was able to do for longer periods of time (hour plus) and do it a little less intense for those days with less energy.  It is also something you can do with other people, kids, DH AND while on vacation!  It is great!!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Beyond breastfeeding and taking baby for walks, I needed something serious to get the ball rolling and lose those last stubborn 10 pounds. The C25K (couch 2 5k) program worked for me. Because it's for people who never run, it starts off slow and builds your stamina and endurance over a 9 week period. It took me about 12 weeks to complete, but I got UNDER my pre-pregnancy weight AND ran two 5Ks before I got pregnant again. It worked wonders and I'll be doing it again after this LO arrives.
  • Focus on eating all your vegetable servings a day. The more veggies you eat, the more likely you are to fill up before consuming too many calories! Also, invest in a crockpot! An amazing low calorie soup not only makes a great lunch/dinner/appetizer, but since it's in the crockpot, you have extra time to play and work out with baby instead of slaving over the stove or eating something not as good for you. Here's a recipe for one of my favorite low-cal soups, that's really filling (but warning you, cabbage smells TERRIBLE!) :

Spicy Cabbage Soup

1 large onion
    4 ribs celery
    4 carrots
    1 small head cabbage, shredded
    48 oz. spicy tomato-based juice  (e.g., bloody mary mix, V-8, etc.)
    2-3 cups water
    Low sodium vegetable broth
    1 big pinch dried parsley
    1 big pinch basil
    3 sprigs thyme
    1 bay leaf
    2 sprinkles garlic powder
    2 turns of pepper mill

Optional:

2 cans Rotel tomatos

Mushrooms, sliced

Chop vegetables. Combine all ingredients in large pot, cover and simmer at
    least 1 hour. Remove bay leaf. Makes about 3 quarts. Or, in crockpot: combine all ingreients, leave on low overnight, crank up to high 1 hour before meal time. So yummy!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"