2nd Trimester

How much do you have to pay out of pocket for your hospital stay?

I just spoke with my insurance company, I have to pay $2,000.00 out of pocket, they will cover anything over $2,000.00. Is this standard? I better start putting more money aside then I already am...
Little E born 12.10.09 Little A born 04.19.12

Re: How much do you have to pay out of pocket for your hospital stay?

• I will be paying around 2,000 also.  I've already paid $750 in my deductible for the year.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have like a $1500 out of pocket max per year.  We've already paid about $450 of it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My hospital stay is free. I will have a balance of co-pays and fees to pay at the end of it all, but I'm actually not expecting that to be TOO much (meaning less than $1,000). This is on DH's insurance.

When I was on my own, the plan was that the copay for hospital stay was $150/day for a max of 5 days.

• I guess it just depends on your insurance.  I had to pay one $40 co-pay and there's no out of pocket for the hospital.  I'm sorry ~ that kind of sucks! 
  • You better save more than that. I paid about $4000 total. You pay for your stay AND your baby's stay. Then your anesthesiologist if you get an epi, plus your doctor (he/she charges separately), plus a circ if you have a boy. I thnk that's it.

I have 75/25 coverage. The actual bill was over $12,000 just for me!!! Good news is that you probably won't have to pay for anything else medically for the rest of the year, so if DH wants surgery, tell him to go for it!  :)

Good luck. I'm still paying for my L&D at 4 months PP.

• Every insurance plan is different. The way mine is, I will have a $450 deductible for me, a $450 deductible for the first baby, and will be responsible for 10% of the charges up to a Family cap of $4,000. My deductible is included in that.

Because I will likely have a c-section ($15,000 hospital charge) and with twins, run the possibility of NICU time, we are planning on paying the $4,000 at the time of the birth. The good news is that if anything happens that any member of my family has a ER, hospital stay, or surgery after the $4,000 cap is hit, everything is covered at 100% for the rest of 2010. 

TTC#1 since Mar 2008. Serious MFI due to cancer. 3 cancelled IUI's, just about every test in the book. IVF#1 - BFP! Twin girls arrived 2/5/10 at 35w2d. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a high deductible plan so it's 2,000 but my company gives us a HRA account with the money in it to cover the deductible so the amount I have to come up with is actually 0.
  • I have to say that I am lucky. My entire pregnancy is 100% completely paid for. I don't even pay a co-pay when I go into my monthly appointment.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyName Ticker

• We have a $500 hospital copay for the delivery.  (And $20 for all prenatal appointments and $20 for sonograms...so it should cost $560 or $580 all thogether, depending on how many sonograms they do.)
    Bianca image.
  • $300 for me.
    DD #1 born 12.28.2009 Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am expecting to pay my $250 deductible but am prepared to pay more than that.

I have heard that often the anesthesiologist who administers the epidural is contracted and therefore out of network so you typically will receive a separate bill from him/her.  I have heard the same thing about the pediatrician that comes to check on baby...sometimes they are out of network and I may receive a bill from them.

• Our estimate for a basic delivery w/o complications for me or the baby is $2300-2500. If we hit complications we could be around $4500 - 6000. $6000 is our combined max out of pocket though... regardless of what happens. (That's my $3k max out of pocket combined with bebe's $3k max out of pocket.)

We've talked to the hospital's account's payable office and we get a discount from the hospital if we start paying up front though. I'm not sure how much off it'll be yet, but we'll be taking that route.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • The nice thing about being due in February, is that I can plan my flex spending deduction amount to cover the hospital copay.  Yea!
    Bianca image.
  • $1450 and then 20% of everything else up to $4k.  They say that I should expect to pay between $2500 and $3500 total depending on the birth and any complications.
  • With the insurance we had up to Sept 1 it would have been covered under my $10 prenatal care co-pay.

With the insurance that we have starting Sept 1 our max OOP per person is $1,250/person. So if LO gets billed as a separate person (and we can't get a clear answer on this) we'll have to pay $2,500 for the delivery but then that will be it for the rest of the year (the whole month that will be left). 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • I'm paying 2K out of pocket -We have already paid over half.
  • imagenemtown:

You better save more than that. I paid about $4000 total. You pay for your stay AND your baby's stay. Then your anesthesiologist if you get an epi, plus your doctor (he/she charges separately), plus a circ if you have a boy. I thnk that's it.

I have 75/25 coverage. The actual bill was over $12,000 just for me!!! Good news is that you probably won't have to pay for anything else medically for the rest of the year, so if DH wants surgery, tell him to go for it!  :)

Good luck. I'm still paying for my L&D at 4 months PP.

Acutally anything OVER $2,000.00 is covered 100% by my insurance, so I am only responsible for $2,00.00

Little E born 12.10.09 Little A born 04.19.12
  • I honestly have no idea.

I know that I only have to pay a certain amount out of pocket (like $2500 maybe?) each year before it starts being covered 100%...I hope hospital stays are part of that.

:::logging into my insurance account to check:::

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • 20%, whatever that will be!  My insurance is not the best and I've had to pay about $500 in bills so far. 
  • $500 my max family OOP is 3k so we won't have to pay more than that.
  • IDK we have an HSA so once we reach our limit its all insurance. But DH keeps up with that account, not me.
  • imagetantandancr@yahoo.com:
    I have to say that I am lucky. My entire pregnancy is 100% completely paid for. I don't even pay a co-pay when I go into my monthly appointment.

This. I haven't had a copay for anything so far. My hospital stay is 100% covered if I stay 2 days for a regular birth or 3 days for a C-section.

I have to say that I am lucky. My entire pregnancy is 100% completely paid for. I don't even pay a co-pay when I go into my monthly appointment.

Thankfully, same for me.

the boymom is expecting a girl!
    big brothers 12.2009 and 02.2012
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • it's the same for me too.

This. 

• $250 copay for the hospital stay. The only thing that has ot been covered 100% is all my labs. I have been paying these weird little 5 dollar and 10 dollar lab bills.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • $25 co-pay forthe first appt, $100 for hospital stay. That's it.
  • I definatley think you ladies should make sure you are only paying these small amounts- I have a 500/year deductible with a so called max of 1500 a year- when I had my baby in 2008 I paid over 6000 for a vaginal delivery with an epicural, circumsicion. And I have really good insurance- so just be sure!
  • We have a $500 copay.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had a $35 co-pay for my first prenatal visit and that will be it.
  • I have to pay my 250 deductable and then I have a 1500 max out of pocket per year so $1750 total! I was so relieved after talking with my insurance company. They were so nice and explained everythign in detail. All labs/bloodwork/sonograms are 100% covered.
  • imagelacikirkman:
    I definatley think you ladies should make sure you are only paying these small amounts- I have a 500/year deductible with a so called max of 1500 a year- when I had my baby in 2008 I paid over 6000 for a vaginal delivery with an epicural, circumsicion. And I have really good insurance- so just be sure!

Why do you just assume everyone has no idea what they are talking about or how their insurance works?

• I'll pay $1000 for me and $1000 for baby. That's our deductible and after that everything is covered at 100%. We are paying our OB installments on my portion now so we'll just have to pay the baby's in Jan.
  • $5 for all visits, and $5 for the hospital stay.  We did check to make sure.  I guess I'm lucky though because DH works at the hospital.
  • imageLadyJavy:

imagetantandancr@yahoo.com:

This. I haven't had a copay for anything so far. My hospital stay is 100% covered if I stay 2 days for a regular birth or 3 days for a C-section.

Ditto, no payments here.

• We have a $500 copay for all prenatal and delivery including hospital stay, what I did not realize with my first is that I would pay another $500 deductible for my epidural, so be expecting that as well!  FYI it was worth every penny!!!!
  • I haven't even spoken to my insurance company....is that bad?
  • It's 100% covered. The only thing I've had to pay so far is my first copay of $25 at my first dr. visit. With my DD, they sent me a check for the $25 refunded after she was born, so I ended up paying nothing. DH also works for the hospital and we have very good insurance. I'm a little shocked at how much people have to pay OOP actually, I had no idea!
  • $500 for me and baby.
  • No cost for anything, but I live in Canada and we have socialized medicine

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"