1st Trimester

Going to Disney 10-11 weeks pregnant

First, I am going to ask my Doc at our visit next week BUT...

We made reservations to go to Disney World before I was pregnant. We have a little one who will be a year old when we go. The grandparents are coming along and since they never get to see the lil one they are super excited about spending time with him.

So...does anyone know about riding rides while pregnant in your first trimester? For those that have been at Disney World there are low key rides and some fast rides but most of them aren't like Six Flags rides that toss you around.

Re: Going to Disney 10-11 weeks pregnant

• I am going to guess that almost every ride will have one of those signs that tell you not to ride if you have heart problems or are pregnant if they aren't appropriate.  I would think the basics like Its a Small World would be fine but I would stay away from any of the roller coasters (like Space Mountain) or plunge rides (like Tower of Terror).  They are tame compared to Six Flags rides but still too much when pregnant.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • ugh, the thought of going to disney makes me want to throw-up...I would say you are going to have to base your decisions on how you are feeling that day...
  • Loading the player...
  • my sister rode pirates of the carribean at 12 weeks... her baby is fine!
  • We went to Universal Studios when I was 9 weeks pregnant. You pretty much can't do a whole lot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCiconrad:
    I am going to guess that almost every ride will have one of those signs that tell you not to ride if you have heart problems or are pregnant if they aren't appropriate.  I would think the basics like Its a Small World would be fine but I would stay away from any of the roller coasters (like Space Mountain) or plunge rides (like Tower of Terror).  They are tame compared to Six Flags rides but still too much when pregnant.

Ditto this.

~DD born 3-25-10~DS born 6-5-12~
    imageimage
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • imageCiconrad:
    I am going to guess that almost every ride will have one of those signs that tell you not to ride if you have heart problems or are pregnant if they aren't appropriate.  I would think the basics like Its a Small World would be fine but I would stay away from any of the roller coasters (like Space Mountain) or plunge rides (like Tower of Terror).  They are tame compared to Six Flags rides but still too much when pregnant.

this and just because other people have done it and had healthy babies doesn't mean I would. I mean some women smoke and have healthy babies but would I want to do the same and risk it. NOPE. Talk to your doctor but I doubt you will be able to get on much sorry. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm in the same spot.  We made reservations to go for our 1st anniversary in Sept.  We jsut found out we're preggers which means I'll probably have to forgo the rides :(  I'm a rollercoaster lover & was looking forward to that part.  We see our doc on the 3rd so I'm going to talk to him.  I've read mixed things online (1/2 the women say "don't do it!!" the other 1/2 says "I was on rides when I was 3 months preg & didn't know it, baby was fine")
    Dylan Gabriel 04/29/10 Aiden Drake 04/28/12
  • I was suppose to go to Disney this week with my family but decided not to go.  I don't think the rides are going to give you much problem.  My fear was the heat and all the walking and standing.  I always loved the heat and went on many trips to Disney in August but now that I am  preggo i am having a hard time dealing with the humidity.  When I am outside for a short time I feel very dizzy.  So just make sure you keep drinking lots of water and eat mni meals throughout the day.  When you are having fun in Disney it's easy to loose track of time from the last time you ate something.

I would just check with doctor about the rides.

• No rides. I would say SOME kiddie rides would be ok, ones that don't toss you around. Merry go round, perfect! LOL....I'd use your common sense, if it looks rough, don't do it. Even though a one year old probably wont be going on the tea cups...
  • imageelissa808:
    my sister rode pirates of the carribean at 12 weeks... her baby is fine!

That ride is nice & slow compared to a roller coaster (compared to the bobsleds).  I say stay on the slow rides.

But.....good luck!  We thought about going to Disney Land when I was 10w and I was sick as a dog!  M/S, full force.  I'm happy we didn't go, I would have been miserable in the Happiest Place, vomiting in the trash cans & bushes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • no thunder mountain rail road for you.  but i'm betting the teacups, pirates of the carribean, dumbo, haunted mansion will all be fine.

when in doubt, send your DH ahead to ride and report back to you if there is any bumping around.

• IF you go to the Magic Kingdom, you should be able to do quite a bit.  Every ride has a sign in front with all the warnings.  The hardest thing will be the heat (it doesn't cool down in FL until the end of October).  I wouldn't cancel it just because you are pregnant.  My DH and have a trip planned for December and I left it up to him as to if we are still going.  He wants to go, so we will be there.
  • My husband and I are leaving for Disney on Saturday. We made the reservations before we got pregnant. Silly me....I thought it would take longer. I will be about fifteen weeks pregnant by the time we go. We thought long and hard about it and decided that going would be the best thing for us. It has been a stressful pregnancy so far and both of us need a little fun. The first thing I did was speak to both doctor's in my practice about going. Neither had a problem. One told me not to carry anything on my back, and to stay hydrated and the other said to take it easy, drink water, and get up every forty-five minutes while on the plane.

I've done a lot of research on going to Disney while pregnant and found that it is, actually, quite common. If you go to Disney.com and find the Mom's Panel they have some great advice for expecting moms. There is actually more you can do than you can't do. Most rides are fine because they are slow and plodding. You must stay away from the coasters, for obvious reasons. The teacups are a no-no because of the forces exerted on the body. No Tower of Terror, or Star Tours at the studios. At Epcot you have to miss out on Test Track and the Maelstrom. Animal Kingdom is the park with the least to do for pregnant visitors. You cannot ride Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids, Kilimanjaro Safaris or Dinosaur. What's left are all the shows. I highly recommend the Nemo musical.

Before you go you must have a "plan of attack". I have planned this trip down to the minute. We will be getting to the parks when they open and going back to the room at around 11:45. This way I can nap, swim, or rest. This way you are not in the park at the hottest and most crowded time of the day. Then, back to the park around 3:30. I broke each park up into manageable sections. We will be spending the least amount of time in the Animal Kingdom because there is little for me to do there and it is the park with the least amount of shade and air conditioning. We will spend the most time in Epcot because it is the biggest and will take the longest to cover. 

We, also, made a special request when it came to the room. We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside which is a large and expansive resort. I asked to be placed on ground level and closest to the food court. I didn't want to hike a mile every morning for breakfast.

Good luck. It just takes careful planning to pull everything off. 

• imageIslandchick9:

Before you go you must have a "plan of attack". I have planned this trip down to the minute. We will be getting to the parks when they open and going back to the room at around 11:45. This way I can nap, swim, or rest. This way you are not in the park at the hottest and most crowded time of the day. Then, back to the park around 3:30. I broke each park up into manageable sections. We will be spending the least amount of time in the Animal Kingdom because there is little for me to do there and it is the park with the least amount of shade and air conditioning. We will spend the most time in Epcot because it is the biggest and will take the longest to cover. 

This is great advice.  I have been to Disney a million times and there is plenty to do.  There are maybe 5 rides that you can't do.  I would recommend that you stay the whole day just to be able to do everything, especially if you have never been.  There are several indoor activities to use as cool down time.  The Hall of Presidents (in Frontier World) is one of my favorites because its kept pretty cool.  There is also the Wheel of Progress in Future World and I thinks its Lion King in Fantasy Land.  Just put the shows between the rides.  You could also get one of the spray bottles with a fan so you can mist yourself with water to stay cool when in line waiting.  My best advice for food is to get kids meals - they are cheap, small and include fruit.  You can also take your own snacks to the park.  If you don't want to carry a bag they offer locker service at the front of the park.  If you start to feel bad you can also rent a wheel chair.

• imageelissa808:
    my sister rode pirates of the carribean at 12 weeks... her baby is fine!

I rode it about a million times with my 4 y/o nephew. I was 8 wks when were there in early July, full force m/s so I was pretty miserable most of the time. Just make sure you're with understanding people who let you rest and eat often. There are only like 5 rides that they tell you not to ride. I was surprised at how much I could do. It's not like Six Flags where everything is fast and crazy. ?

?I wouldn't worry about it. I didn't ride the rides that had no pregnant ladies signs, but there was so much to do that I didn't miss anything. I have no desire to ride Tower of Terror anyway.??

• imagegypsywitch:
    No rides. I would say SOME kiddie rides would be ok, ones that don't toss you around. Merry go round, perfect! LOL....I'd use your common sense, if it looks rough, don't do it. Even though a one year old probably wont be going on the tea cups...

What? No rides? They tell you what rides aren't appropriate for pregnant women, and there are only a few. I was just there, and I'm a total Disney hater, but this lady should have a good time. I would assume that they want to avoid a lawsuit as much as you want to avoid risking your pregnancy, so they probably warn you not to ride rides that would most likely be ok. That said, I kept it safe and rode the million other rides that didn't have those signs. You won't be stuck on "It's a Small World" the whole time, don't worry. It is hot as hades though, so drink a lot of water.?

• I went on all the rides at around 13 weeks.  My dd is 4yo now and she is fine.
  • We're annual passholders and go to Disney all the time.  There are a few rides that Disney recommends that pregnant women do not ride, but you will be able to go on the vast majority of rides at the four theme parks. 

If you want an idea of what you can ride and can't ride, visit the AllEars.net web site and they have a section on touring WDW when you're pregnant.

You'll probably get tired out easily due to being in your first tri, plus it's so hot and humid here, so plan to drink lots of water and take lots of breaks.  When we go, I find a shady seat every 45 mins. to an hour and take a 5 minute break.  Make use of Fast Passes so you can bypass some of the long lines.  Mix indoor rides/attractions with outdoor ones so you don't get overheated.  Have fun!

• I was told NO carnival rides. Even the Ferris wheel can cause problems (if it stops suddenly, or has fast drops).

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Ugh, just the thought of a rollercoaster not pregnant terrifies and nauesates me, let alone now :(  Not sure how much you will enjoy it if you have the slightest bit of m/s, but I would just look out for signs that state whether they are safe for  pregnant women or not...

Chemical Pregnancy 5.2011. BFP 9.2011 MC @ 8.5w D&C 11.4.2011 sweet pea is always in our hearts. BFP 3.23.2012! Our baby turkey is due 11.22.2012! Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"