2nd Trimester
Options

For anyone who's dr said a little wine

is fine.  When did you first have a glass?  I'm thinking now but I may wait til 20 wks.  I know it's a conflicting topic of coversation but my dr said a glass every few wks is completely ok.  Moderation is the key. 

Re: For anyone who's dr said a little wine

• Options
     I had a doctor, Not OB, who lived by that. She had a glass of red wine every night. Not a ballon but a small glass.
  • Options
    I have had 3 glasses up to this point and Im am 18 weeks.. My doc said it was fine.. I only have a half glass of red..
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers After years of struggling with infertility issues (PCOS since I was 16) and 15 medicated cycles we finally got blessed with our son. We got lucky with our 7th IUI using stims...Now we are back on the roller coaster to try for another miracle..IVF cycle in May resulted in a chemical pregnancy. 2 snowbabies FET 7/16-transferred 2 blastocyst...Faint bfp 4dp5dt! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't asked my doctor, I don't plan on drinking but I think anytime now would be fine.  I did some research about cooking with alcohol, and found lots of things all pretty much saying a glass or wine here and there is no big deal, throughout pregnancy but I am sure now that you are in 2nd tri your fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My OB ok'd a glass or two of wine or beer a week after the first tri.  Personally I limit myself to one glass a week and with every pregnancy I enjoy that glass starting as soon as I hit the second tri. It's not every week but most.  He said it's totally fine and actually a good thing to relieve a little stress.  I have followed his advice through two pregnancies and am following it through my third now with no problems.  Enjoy!
  • Options
    My doctor said no amt of alchol is fine during pregnancy. I don't plan on drinking any alcohol.
  • Options
    I asked at my last appt, which was around 21 weeks. Said it was totally fine. I still feel a little weird about it, but it was nice to have a very small glass (maybe 3 oz) at dinner last weekend when we had family in town.
  • Options

I was so sick my first tri that I had no desire for wine. And then my parents were in town and they went to Napa and brought back some wine so I had a short glass and let me tell you how it tasted: corked. tannins. acid. vile. vile. vile. Everyone else loved it. Yay pregnancy tastedbuds!

The champagne my mom,sister, and I had while shopping (I think I was 14 weeks and again - short glass) was DIVINE, though. And every now and again I'll steal a swig of Husband's beer and that's always tasty.

• Options

imageleffe1:
    My doctor said no amt of alchol is fine during pregnancy. I don't plan on drinking any alcohol.

That's what mine said too.  Luckily alcohol is one of those smells that I can't stand right now.

• Options
    I had a few glasses with my first two pregnancies.  Actually, I only had one glass for my anniversary with my first and that was at 36 weeks.  And I had maybe 4 glasses with my second...again it was in my 3rd trimester...during the holidays.  (I seem to have December/January (winter) babies.)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My Dr. Ok'd it but I haven't had any. My taste buds are shot right now...
  • Options
    I had a quarter of a glass of wine the other night. It was soooo good! But I couldn't get myself to drink more then just that little bit. lol
  • Options
    I've heard all sorts of responses from people around me and my doc but I don't plan on having any. I think its just a personal preference.
  • Options
    I asked mine about this recently, he said personally he thinks pregnancy is the time to not drink, but if you must, then 4oz/day is ok. I still haven't yet, but I am so tempted.
  • Options
    I'm sure some in the 3rd tri is fine. Personally I wont touch alcohol while pregnant. It's only 9 months and it's my precious baby.
  • Options
    It is NOT ok to have wine while youre preggo or any other amount of alcohol.  EVERYTHING crosses the placenta and FAS can happen even in a small amount.  In my Anatomy and Physiology class we learned about that.  I asked my teacher about the wine and he said 1 glass of grape juice has same amount of antioxidants and what not as 1 glass of wine.  That's just like OB's giving Percocet after C-sections for pain while women breast feeding.  It does pass to the baby in small amounts through breast feeding. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Allright, well my OB said that while they don't really condone it that a glass of wine or a beer once in a blue moon won't hurt the baby (AFTER first trimester).

I have only had one glass, and it was this week for my birthday dinner.  My friends laughed at me because my glass lasted me aaalllll night.

• Options
    Hmm... I'm hung on this subject. I believe the recent studies that say that a small glass of wine once every couple weeks is okay. But I just don't want to risk it. I can wait another five months to have a relaxing glass of wine. And boy am I ready for it!
  • Options
    Haven't had any but I am not totally opposed to a small glass once a week. I am just still so queezy that just the smell of alcohol gets me. Last week for one night I craved it but didn't drink any. I was at a wedding yesterday and planned on having a small glass of champagne but when the waiters came out the family was anti alcohol and the toast was done with sparkling cider so I guess that wasn't meant to be. I think its any time after the 2nd tri that its OK.
  • Options

imagecamarotempress:
    It is NOT ok to have wine while youre preggo or any other amount of alcohol.  EVERYTHING crosses the placenta and FAS can happen even in a small amount.  In my Anatomy and Physiology class we learned about that.  I asked my teacher about the wine and he said 1 glass of grape juice has same amount of antioxidants and what not as 1 glass of wine.  That's just like OB's giving Percocet after C-sections for pain while women breast feeding.  It does pass to the baby in small amounts through breast feeding. 

I would love to see any documented case where a baby was born with fetal alcohol syndrome from a mother drinking small amounts of alcohol while pregnant.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor said it was totally fine once or twice a week to have a glass or two. I haven't yet but if I wanted some I wouldn't hesitate. And for the woman who was talking about percocet, I'd love to see proof of it damaging the baby, especially since my OB told me it was safe to take narcotic pain meds during pregnancy for migraines.
  • Options

imagecamarotempress:

It is amazing to me that humanity not only survived but thrived and produced such stunning feats of art, architecture, scientific discovery, philosophy, political science given that alcohol was consumed in large quantities regularly as the safest thing available to drink prior to water purification plants and refrigeration.  You know, since it is so entirely dangerous to consume any amount of alcohol ever in pregnancy.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

My Blog

• Options
    To answer the original question, my midwife said up to twice a week after the first tri was fine, but I've never been a big drinker, so I haven't had anything, though there is a wheat beer sitting in the fridge waiting for me when I want it.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

My Blog

• Options
    imageeasjer05:

imagecamarotempress:

It is amazing to me that humanity not only survived but thrived and produced such stunning feats of art, architecture, scientific discovery, philosophy, political science given that alcohol was consumed in large quantities regularly as the safest thing available to drink prior to water purification plants and refrigeration.  You know, since it is so entirely dangerous to consume any amount of alcohol ever in pregnancy.

THANK YOU. In spite of everything camarotempress wrote, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, and countless other countries where pg women drink wine/beer in moderation are NOT producing generations of intellectually stunted, sickly little babies. Perhaps your anatomy/physiology teacher does not know everything.

• Options
    I had a glass last night at my BIL's wedding- it was the first one I'd had in over a month. I've had 3 drinks total this whole pgcy- really, 2 1/2, b/c I only drank 1/2 of a beer the one day we were out boating. I waited until I was out of 1st tri to have any- I honestly don't remember what week I was, probably 16 or so.
  • Options
    imageBrandi Bee:
    imageGreekyPie:
    imageeasjer05:

imagecamarotempress:

THANK YOU. In spite of everything camarotemptress wrote, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, and countless other countries where pg women drink wine/beer in moderation are NOT producing generations of intellectually stunted, sickly little babies. Perhaps your anatomy/physiology teacher does not know everything.

Exactly!  Plus, I don't remember learning that in A&P.

I took anatomy in college, but somehow I don't think that makes me more qualified than board certified physicians. 

• Options
    imageBrandi Bee:
    imageGreekyPie:
    imageeasjer05:
    imagecamarotempress:

THANK YOU. In spite of everything camarotemptress wrote, Italy, Spain, Germany, France, and countless other countries where pg women drink wine/beer in moderation are NOT producing generations of intellectually stunted, sickly little babies. Perhaps your anatomy/physiology teacher does not know everything.

I took anatomy in college, but somehow I don't think that makes me more qualified than board certified physicians. 

EXACTLY! ALL OF THIS!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageliza0828:
    imageBrandi Bee:
    imageGreekyPie:
    imageeasjer05:

imagecamarotempress:

All of this! I learned a lot of things in college that were biased or downright wrong....

To answer the OP: I had my first drink at 21 weeks--a half glass of beer. It was marvelous!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in my 24th week and have had 3 small glasses of red wine so far. I alwalys make sure it is with a hearty meal and I put it on the rocks. A glass here and there is fine in my opinion.
  • Options

imagecamarotempress:

While alcohol will cross the placenta not EVERYTHING does.  Apparently your anatomy and physiology class misinformed you about some things.  It makes the rest of the post less believable when things like that are exaggerated.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"