2nd Trimester

Is Anyone Watching The Business of Being Born?

https://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com/trailer.php

Read some information, and post, and it got me thinking.....

I am about to start reading Push, haven't started yet... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is Anyone Watching The Business of Being Born?

• There is a post on 3rd tri right now about how one sided it is.?

I'm not going med-free.. or having a home-based birth.. so it's not at all for me. ?

• I enjoyed the movie but I am also very pro natural and home birth, so maybe I was biased. I also loved the book Pushed, and found it super shocking and informative.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Saw it.  Loved it.  It's very one-sided, but DH and I are all about natural childbirth so it's just given us a bit more courage to go without drugs/interventions.
  • It is one sided in the fact that it talks about homebirth. But many of the people they interview disagree with homebirth and they do show a transfer and a c/s that would have been bad news had they not done that.

So it's fair I think.

I think it is good to educate women on their options.

ETA: we are planning a homebirth and if I can't have it at home my goal is a natural birth

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• I've seen it several times and loved it.

I disagree that it is one sided, but I get why some people think that.  There is a lot of factual information in it that is worth thinking over.  They do show a lot of out of hospital births, but that doesn't make it one-sided.

The very fact they included the director's emergency c-section (from planned homebirth) is proof of that, imo.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• imageCTri17:

It is one sided in the fact that it talks about homebirth. But many of the people they interview disagree with homebirth and they do show a transfer and a c/s that would have been bad news had they not done that.

Exactly.  And even if it is "one-sided" I think it's high time that other side was presented.  Virtually every birth you see in popular culture is a hospital birth and intervention-heavy, and more often than not presented as an emergency situation.  Another valid view of childbirth is welcome, IMO.

I loved this movie, even though I can acknowledge its flaws.

• I think it's a lot of preaching to the choir - if you're leaning that way then it will reinforce your beliefs. And it is full of good information.

If I didn't have to have a c-section (at the insistence of many doctors) I would be using a lot more of their information.

• imageellemoney:):

There is a post on 3rd tri right now about how one sided it is.

I'm not going med-free.. or having a home-based birth.. so it's not at all for me.

I honestly didn't plan on going med-free either....and NO NO NO to homebirth, I just dont personally feel comfortable with that...What if something goes wrong?...Fast medical attention is out the window.....

• I think it's great for people who want a natural or homebirth.  I want neither.  I prefer the hospital where the drugs are.
  • imageMsMoseley:

I honestly didn't plan on going med-free either....and NO NO NO to homebirth, I just dont personally feel comfortable with that...What if something goes wrong?...Fast medical attention is out the window.....

I think there is a lot to take away and consider, whether you end wanting to go med free or not.  So see it.  Even if you hate it and totally disagree with it, at worst, you've only wasted 2 hours of your time.

As for the latter half, actually - no.  It's totally cool that you don't want to do a homebirth, but fast medical attention is just as readily available to me in my home via my trained, experienced midwife and her assistants as the hospital.  : )

My Blog

• I liked Pushed better.  BoBB definitely has a propaganda-ish feel to it, but the information is still good.
  • I have seen it several times, because I TA a womens studies class where its part of the curriculum. While I do agree that it is one sided (not many documentaries/ books/ televisions shows do a good job at being unbiased, so whatever), it is still an informative movie to watch. It gives many good statistics, and situations that could arise, and shows some very nice home birth stories. I think that no matter what birth you are planning on having this movie does give women valuable information to think about. I say watch it, but as with any other book or movie dont just follow its advice, continue to inform yourself.
  • imageeasjer05:
    imageMsMoseley:

I think there is a lot to take away and consider, whether you end wanting to go med free or not.  So see it.  Even if you hate it and totally disagree with it, at worst, you've only wasted 2 hours of your time.

As for the latter half, actually - no.  It's totally cool that you don't want to do a homebirth, but fast medical attention is just as readily available to me in my home via my trained, experienced midwife and her assistants as the hospital.  : )

This is good... What may have misinformed me was watching that program on Discovery Health, Freebirthing (i think)..and some of those women were doing things without anyone but their SO.... 

• imageMrs.tlcS:
    I liked Pushed better.  BoBB definitely has a propaganda-ish feel to it, but the information is still good.

Really?  That surprises me.  I loved both the book and the documentary, but I definitely felt that Pushed used a lot of scare tactics.

• I loved it.  It really shocked me enough to get me motivated to do some more research.
  • imageMsMoseley:

This is good... What may have misinformed me was watching that program on Discovery Health, Freebirthing (i think)..and some of those women were doing things without anyone but their SO.... 

Yeah - freebirthing/unassisted childbirth and prepared homebirth are two very different things, though they (unfortunately) tend to get lumped in together a lot.

Prepared homebirth is actually pretty safe, because you receive prenatal care from trained, licensed professionals who monitor you for being low-risk.  You have to be low-risk at the time of delivery, the mw (or doc in some rare cases) is trained and experienced in both normal births, detecting emerging problems (and managing them or transferring to hospital) and in dealing with true emergency situations (which can happen, but are rare in low-risk birth - but because they can happen, there should be a person trained to deal with them and hopefully experienced in dealing with them).  And you should be within a safe transport distance to the hospital.  I'm lucky to live literally across the street from a great hospital - if I didn't, I'd probably think harder about the birth center route.

I definitely don't think it's for everyone - I think many women are simply more secure in a hospital setting, and that's great.  But it doesn't hurt to understand how hospitals work, especially if you are thinking about having an unmedicated birth (whether it ends up that way or not).  Basically, being educated and making a good informed choice (whatever that choice happens to be, because it will be different for everyone) is the best thing any of us can do.  

My Blog

• I loved the movie!  I am not doing a homebirth and not using a midwife but it was still very informative.  It really raised my awareness on quite a few issues and sparked me to do my own research on what I really do and do not feel strongly about.  It has also caused me to ask my OB a lot of questions that I wouldn't have thought to ask otherwise.

I highly recommend it!

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • imageMrs.KLF:

imageMrs.tlcS:
    I liked Pushed better.  BoBB definitely has a propaganda-ish feel to it, but the information is still good.

Really?  That surprises me.  I loved both the book and the documentary, but I definitely felt that Pushed used a lot of scare tactics.

Pushed is largely a review of medical literature and law.  There were a couple of specific cases discussed, but overall, I think the presentation was very fair. I don't think there were any scare tactics employed - the fact is simply that what we're doing now - and where we're heading with maternity care is frightening.

The author doesn't have a horse in the race.  At the time it was published, she had never been pregnant and had no plans to become pregnant.

• imageeasjer05:

I've seen it several times and loved it.

I disagree that it is one sided, but I get why some people think that.  There is a lot of factual information in it that is worth thinking over.  They do show a lot of out of hospital births, but that doesn't make it one-sided.

The very fact they included the director's emergency c-section (from planned homebirth) is proof of that, imo.

I agree.

I am not planning a homebirth and most likely will not go natural. I still found the movie informative and interesting. Just b/c it's not about the type of birth I want doesn't mean it's one sided.  I mean, it's a documentary on home/natural birth - what did you expect when sitting down to watch it? KWIM?

• We watched it and thought it had a lot of good info.  It is also VERY biased which is okay as long as you realize it and get some other facts, too.  It kinda scared me into wanting to go the natural way, so I did some more research and talked to friends about different birth plans.  I still haven't made up my mind, but I will be able to say I made an informed decision :)
  • imageMsMoseley:
    imageellemoney:):

I'm not going med-free.. or having a home-based birth.. so it's not at all for me.

who says it's out the window. I personally HATE this. JMO but my midwife has had very few transfers AND why would she RISK anything, my life, the baby's life, HER LICENSE to stay at home with a complication.

It's just silly and is saying that people that want to have home births are somehow less responsible because they aren't in the hospital.

We are two miles from the a great hospital with a FANTASTIC NICU/L&D/ childrens wing should we need it .

If something doesn't look/feel right then we will transfer.

ETA: ok after I read your post about Free birthing I came across a bit harsh. It is much different than doing it unassisted.

My midwife is a certified professional midwife and she is very good. She is very cautious and won't stay at home if there is anything that looks like a problem. Also if I become high risk I wont be able to use her or be at home. 

Also she can't deliver multiples or breech babies, they are illegal in AZ, you also can't do a homebirth if you are attempting a VBAC

but I still stand by the fact that it's still safe.

~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• imageCTri17:
    imageMsMoseley:
    imageellemoney:):

who says it's out the window. I personally HATE this. JMO but my midwife has had very few transfers AND why would she RISK anything, my life, the baby's life, HER LICENSE to stay at home with a complication.

It's just silly and is saying that people that want to have home births are somehow less responsible because they aren't in the hospital.

We are two miles from the a great hospital with a FANTASTIC NICU/L&D/ childrens wing should we need it .

If something doesn't look/feel right then we will transfer.

Yes, someone clarified this for me a couple post above yours...There is a difference between unassisted homebirth and traditional/contemporary homebirth...I wasn't clear on this. 

• I am not planning on homebirthing, but I am planning on watching this movie.  My SIL recommends it highly, and she is planning on giving birth in a hospital or birthing center when she becomes pregnant.  I think that even if you plan on birthing in a hospital setting that it is important to be educated about the birthing process and the interventions that hospitals use that may or may not be necessary.  While I don't necessarily "blame" my hospital for my c-section with DD, I do think that if I would have had more confidence in my body, I may have had a different outcome.  I am planning a VBAC this time and want to have a wide base of knowledge to pull from when it is time for me to give birth (although it will be in a hospital with my trusted OB-GYN.)
  • imageMrs.tlcS:

These were my thoughts. I wasn't a fan of the movie, though I do think there is/was a need for something like this in the media. They lost me at c/s producing babies "without love." 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageRach03k:

They lost me at c/s producing babies "without love." 

*trying to remember*

Was that the Michel Odent segment?  He's got some . . . unique ideas . . . on birth.  Some of them I agree with, others I strongly don't.

My Blog

• imageRach03k:

imageMrs.tlcS:

These were my thoughts. I wasn't a fan of the movie, though I do think there is/was a need for something like this in the media. They lost me at c/s producing babies "without love." 

I would agree with this - that was the one place where I really felt like they stretched too far.

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • imageeasjer05:

imageRach03k:

They lost me at c/s producing babies "without love." 

*trying to remember*

Was that the Michel Odent segment?  He's got some . . . unique ideas . . . on birth.  Some of them I agree with, others I strongly don't.

Yes it was. While I do think that there may or may not be something to the idea of traumatic births causing some bonding problems, and it's possible that c/s are more likely to be done in a traumatic situation than vaginal births, I think he took it too far.

The way he described it, women who have c/s don't produce the "love hormone" oxytocin, and we have a generation of babies being born "without love." That just took it over the edge into "ludicrous" territory for me, and I had a hard time listening to anything else from the film. Though I did give it a second viewing, and since I knew what was coming I got a little more out of it that time :)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I read it and thought it was really interesting. It was really nice to see some at home births and to see what that experience can be like.
  • I have seen it and do understand their perspective. I, however, having extensive knowledge of the medical industry and the like, am choosing to go to the hospital. I have actually chosen the best hospital in the country for the simple fact that I need the peace of mind that no matter what may happen, I am in the right place for a qualified & educated response. And no offense to any midwives, but I want a thoroughly trained doctor delivering my child. I know of too many occurences where the child had to be medevacd to the nearest hospital. I also understand some women's apprehension about medications but they are not mandatory, you always have the option to say no. I wish everyone the best in their decision! Wink
  • I watched it and really enjoyed it.  It is true that in America we have taken a very natural act and turned it into a medical situation.  It is scary how much trust we put in doctors that can put us at risk just so they can hurry up and start there weekend.  There is another similar documentary called American Pregnancy that is similar and very good as well.  Just be careful,  you can really scare yourself into not trusting doctors if you watch to much of these videos.

Due to insurance reasons, we have decided to have a natural birth in the hospital.  My husband and I are taking Bradley classes and he will be there to really help us stand up for what we want, especially when I might be feeling weak and vulnerable. Luckily our hospital has a pretty good record when it comes to supporting unmedicated childbirth.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a c-sec mom, with hope to vbac. I haven't decided on pain meds and figure I can make that choice when I know what I'm up against. One of my good friends homebirthed. While I respect her choice and can see the benefit of that sort of control, it isn't for me - vbac or not. I also like to think that I am pretty open about needing another c-sec and won't be horribly dissapointed if it doesn't work.

I think I would have benefited from the movie before my first birth more so then I did this time. The biggest thing I got out of the movie is that women have not only the right but the responsibility to make informed choices about her birth and care.

I wish I realized that sooner - my son was delivered by planned c-sec at barely 38 weeks, I later found out that he was scheduled for then because the surgery schedule was full for the doctor that scheduled the procedure. I was raised to respect doctors and until I had my son I just accepted the doctor's word as law.

Being more informed about options, medications and alternatives does nothing but make you better equipped to be your own advocate. (even if that advocatcy is screaming at the top of her lungs for the epi : )

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"