2nd Trimester

Will you put a leash on your child?

HaHa I thought this would be a fun lil post...What do you think about them? You know what Im talking about those things with the monkey or whatever on their back making them look like its a backpack but in reality its a leash LoL...Alright ladies go for it!!

DS #1- Ares Christopher

DS #2- Taj Lee

DD #1 Alba Gray

Baby #4- coming in May

Re: Will you put a leash on your child?

• I think they're incredibly useless. I just watch my child while we're out and about.
  • I have. No regrets.

Me, on my own, with a newborn and toddler in heathrow airport.

"nuff said  Stick out tongue

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • NEVER.  We have disney passes, so I see kids with these all the time. My favorite are they DIY leashes- some of the kids just have a rope tied around them!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I once saw a woman single handedly wrangle triplet 3 year olds in a shopping mall with those things.  Not really for me but if I had 3 toddlers I would probably consider it!!!
    imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yep.  We already do and they still feel free without actually being free.  I never thought I would, but when you have a toddler walking and a stroller to push and you're by yourself, they sure come in handy!
  • LOL   No!

My child will be well behaved enough that they will not need a leash.  :)

• no, but I am considering a shock collar.  Wink
  • I think I have said something about this before. No way would I use a leash. You have to pay attention to what they are doing and teach them as they go.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Missed miscarriage discovered at 16 weeks on 10/11/10. Baby measuring 12 weeks. Natural miscarriage 10/12/10. We will miss you forever. Chemical pregnancy on June 2012.
  • No.  I think it's a lazy parenting crutch.

edit:  I believe this is the case in many situations, but not all.  I will not be using one though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Ugh! My step mom had gotten one for my sister (I was 12 at the time) and I kept telling her that my sister wasn't a dog, and that leashes were for animals!

I will never put my child on a leash...even though I think some people's children at Walmart should put theirs on one!

• I dont know, I think it depends on the kid and how many kids you have. My mom had to with my oldest brother becuase he was always trying to run off and she had 2 babies to attend to as well.

• If my child is a runner then yes I would use them. I do think they are strange. I'd rather look strange than have my child lost. If we would be out in a big public place I would def. have my child on a leash. Better safe then sorry.
  • imageablou:
    no, but I am considering a shock collar.  Wink

Yes

• imagecara_swinney:
    I think they're incredibly useless. I just watch my child while we're out and about.

Using these doesn't mean we don't watch our children.  My husband works crazy hours so I"m often by myself and it's not so easy to push a stroller or cart and have a toddler trying to run too.

• imagegetnmarried910:
    Yep.  We already do and they still feel free without actually being free.  I never thought I would, but when you have a toddler walking and a stroller to push and you're by yourself, they sure come in handy!

THIS!

We haven't used it yet but we will be purchasing one for Alek when Draven arrives. he likes to run free now but if Im by myself I may need the exrta help.

to PP who said their child will be well behaved enough- good luck with that. I love how sure you are with the predictability of a toddler.

• yes.  and I will not feel guilt about it, either.

• imageablou:
    no, but I am considering a shock collar. ?Wink

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!?

• Initially, I thought leashes were a bit cruel. However, after seeing how wandersome children can be, I can see the necessity of them. My parents kept my siblings and I in line well without leashes, and ideally our kids will mind us like that. But, if we do have a wanderer, I'd use a leash.
    imageimageimage
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagemadhatter2003:

I have. No regrets.

Me, on my own, with a newborn and toddler in heathrow airport.

"nuff said  Stick out tongue

This. I don't have a newborn or toddler, but I don't see the problem. When you're in really really crowded places someone could walk right past and seperate you and your kid and that would be it. You can watch them all you want, but when the conditions are just so, they can be gone in a second. I remember vividly having one on when I was a toddler at the zoo and I am not scarred by it ;)

2 angel babies, 6 year old post Clomid. 
    Newly engaged and TTC 
  • My mom did it to me when we camped when I was young.  We'd sometimes end up with a campsite that had hazards nearby - running water, car paths, etc., and with tending to the fire and all of the other camp chores, she figured better safe than sorry.

That would have been in about 1978.  She said most people said it was a horrible thing to do at the time, but I think she was smart.

Jack Donovan, b. Christmas Eve, 2009.

imagemonkeybuttjunction image

• It's hard to say before actually having a child, but I haven't completely ruled them out. I would like to think that my kids will be well-behaved and want to be near me...but kids will be kids..and kids wander.
  • Yep, I think I might.  I went to a baseball game and saw a little toddler with one.  It was the one with the monkey on the back.  I think it is cute.  I don't particuarly want to be chasing around a little toddler if we go to an event like a baseball game or the mall.

• imagegetnmarried910:
    Yep.  We already do and they still feel free without actually being free.  I never thought I would, but when you have a toddler walking and a stroller to push and you're by yourself, they sure come in handy!

Ditto.  I never thought I'd do it, but when I'm trying to get around Center City Philadelphia with a 1 y/o in a stroller and a walking 2 y/o while also being pregnant, you bet your buns. DS still has freedom, but I can still keep him safe. He loves his monkey backpack and asks to wear it.

• not only no, but Hell no! It's lazy parenting, IMO.
  • imageJibbelle:

LOL   No!

Where do I sign up for one of those kids?

"Cool as Hell like e-mail, but still timeless like a letter."
  • I don't have any strong opinions on this but I thought I'd share a funny:

I'm 7 years older than my brother.  When I was 9 and he was 2, we went on a big family vacation to New England.  We stopped at a lot of museums, amusement parks, etc.  At the beginning of the trip, my parents put a leash on him that was just a velcro strap on the wrist.  My brother is clever, he'd just undo the velcro and bolt.  I don't know how many times they grabbed him right before he climbed over a ledge, fell down stairs, etc.  By the end of the trip, he was wearing a vest leash with a zipper on the torso.  He wasn't coordinated enough to unzip it.

Moral of the story: toddlers are smarter and quicker than you think.

• Also, it totally depends on the kid. I was totally against them before I had kids. Then I had a DD who as soon as she turned 2 turned into a runner. It's not disobeying, just a typical toddler 'stage'.  In certain situations it's just not worth the 'risk' IMO.  All it takes is a split second.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I don't have one for my kids - so I probably won't have one for this little guy either.  I can understand why some parents use them.  DD#1 would probably wrestle the living daylights out of me if I had tried to put one on her.
  • It has NOTHING to do with your child being well behaved or not. Kids are curious and can wander, or like I said before, you can get separated due to high traffic areas whether you're holding their hand or watching them or not. Kid can't get snatched and kidnapped and never seen again if you care more about their safety than how you look.

Newly engaged and TTC 
  • LOL at people who think their kids will be "well behaved" in public and who view leashes as "lazy". 

• imageJibbelle:

LOL   No!

I'd also like to add that both of my kids are very well behaved, but their safety is more important to me than caring if people think my kid is on a "leash"

• I had always said no, that they are worthless and a joke.  Then we planned a trip into New York for a friend's wedding and I knew we were going to be right in the city doing a bunch of group trips and touristy crap.   I was nervous about my 4 year old, who is too big for a stroller or to be carried, to be caught up in the crowd and get lost.  So, we bought her one for the trip and used it once.  Did we need it?  Probably not.  Did it make me feel better to have it on her when we were in with a big crowd? Absolutely.  

My child is not a runner and she is very well behaved, but I felt it was better to be safe than sorry.  

• imageLeah&Jack:

This couple that used to live a few doors down from me used to tie their three year old daughter to their CLOTHESLINE when they were outside. They didn't want her to wander off and fall into a lake that was a block away.

No I will not and have not put a leash on my kid! 

That is bizarre.  I'm sorry but that sounds like a choking hazard to me.  Have they heard of a fence?

• imagegetnmarried910:

imagecara_swinney:
    I think they're incredibly useless. I just watch my child while we're out and about.

Using these doesn't mean we don't watch our children.  My husband works crazy hours so I"m often by myself and it's not so easy to push a stroller or cart and have a toddler trying to run too.

I get it, it's fine that you use them and I'm glad it works for you. I never had a need for one and I can't see myself using one when this LO comes along. I just don't care for them.

• imageLeah&Jack:

This couple that used to live a few doors down from me used to tie their three year old daughter to their CLOTHESLINE when they were outside. They didn't want her to wander off and fall into a lake that was a block away.

No I will not and have not put a leash on my kid! 

Surely you are NOT serious!  Sounds like these people need a dog, not a baby.  Now, I am not judging people who use them, I don't think I will, but seriously, to tie the kid up in your own yard...bad idea in my opinion!

• I am loving some of these answers.  I will say that I can't stand parents that get so involved in their shopping that they lose all track of their child.  Inevitably they run around like crazy and end up on the other side of the store doing who knows what.  So I would definitely much rather see those kids on a backpack leash than doing who knows what or (heaven forbid) being snatched by a nut.
  • imageCaliflorida:

LOL at people who think their kids will be "well behaved" in public and who view leashes as "lazy". 

This.

Newly engaged and TTC 
  • I put one of those back pack types with the strap on my registery.  I may not have to use it but if our little girl is a runner I totally am.

• We have one, and my son loves to wear it.  We have a lion.  But we usually keep the tail tucked in the little pocket on the back.  That way I can quickly pull it out if we get in a busy area.  We just use it when we are at public areas, like the zoo.  While it isn't a replacement for teaching your child to behave, it is a nice backup.
  • Let me add. Though I do not have a leash for my son yet-

I will be getting one. It is NOT lazy parenting. It's NOT because he's ill behaved-

It's not that we don't watch him when we got out in public-

In some places I can see the need for him to be off of it like when both of us are present and walking the mall together however if we are at the zoo or at the mall of america or in an airport having him roaming free and a traffic cluuster come in between us and all of a sudden my baby is not there because some predator saw an opportunity to snatch him away- No thanks.

I prefer to think his saftey would matter more than looking bizaare to some people.

Im a little irked that people (who dont have a child) would be so judgemental towards the parents who do have kids and whooo   yea. walking away now-

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"