3rd Trimester

gestational diabetes

I just got the call that I failed so bad that I don't even need to have the 3 hour done. It was 171, I don't feel like this was very accurate though, I had just come from lunch where I had drank soda and eaten a piece of chocolate cake, I'd also had pasta. The nurse that called told me that might have had something to do with the elevation, but that they are still going to consider me having gestational diabetes. I guess I'm not to worried, I've been researching it and it seems like its something that is very easily controlled. 

Re: gestational diabetes

• Don't worry. My failing # was 212! Yikes! Anyways, after a week on the diet (which isn't bad at all!) I was put on insulin. Even with the insulin it has been relatively easy to deal with. My LO is measuring perfectly on schedule and is in the 50th percentile. Good luck and try not to stress over it.
  • Why did you eat all that sugar and carbs if you knew you were taking the test? I failed my 1 hour with a 188 and they still had me take the 3 hour. I find it a little strange that they are already diagnosing you with a score like 171.
  • Loading the player...
  • I failed by 1 hour with a 175, and failed by 3 hour as well, but I am diet controlled. Once you get adjusted to watching the clock a bit, its not too bad. On the bright side, my weight gain has slowed DRAMATICALLY!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageivs112:
    Why did you eat all that sugar and carbs if you knew you were taking the test? I failed my 1 hour with a 188 and they still had me take the 3 hour. I find it a little strange that they are already diagnosing you with a score like 171.

I had totally spaced that they were doing to test, and it was a friends birthday (thats why the cake)  

• imagefraggs24:
    I failed by 1 hour with a 175, and failed by 3 hour as well, but I am diet controlled. Once you get adjusted to watching the clock a bit, its not too bad. On the bright side, my weight gain has slowed DRAMATICALLY!

Yeah also the weight thing. I lost 6lbs the first week on the diet and then stabilized. So far for the entire pregnancy I am only up 12lbs. (Was overweight (5'7 and 179lbs) to start so my OB is ecstatic.)

• imagesalena.M:
    I just got the call that I failed so bad that I don't even need to have the 3 hour done. It was 171, I don't feel like this was very accurate though, I had just come from lunch where I had drank soda and eaten a piece of chocolate cake, I'd also had pasta. The nurse that called told me that might have had something to do with the elevation, but that they are still going to consider me having gestational diabetes. I guess I'm not to worried, I've been researching it and it seems like its something that is very easily controlled. 

I don't know about "very easy", but it's manageable.  GL.

• Lots of people say you can't fake the test so you failed it either way, regardless of what you ate. 

Still, if yuo feel that way, why the hell would you eat all that garbage before going to take the test?

• imageJCM083009:

Lots of people say you can't fake the test so you failed it either way, regardless of what you ate. 

Still, if yuo feel that way, why the hell would you eat all that garbage before going to take the test?

It was not garbage, it was a very yummy and expensive lunch. I didn't remember I was taking the test. 

• imagesalena.M:
    imageJCM083009:

Lots of people say you can't fake the test so you failed it either way, regardless of what you ate. 

It was not garbage, it was a very yummy and expensive lunch. I didn't remember I was taking the test. 

lol ok whatever.  You're complaining about it ruining the test so that would mean it wasn't wholesome, healthy food. soda, cake, and white (I'm assuming) pasta - is pretty much garbage food, esp in terms of talking about glucose levels, etc. 

• imageladysingstheblues:

imagesalena.M:

This. I manage mine with diet and there has been some trial and error, but I take the time to make notes on the sheet I send to my OB so he can see why I had elevated levels and that kind of thing. Meeting with the dietician/nutritionist is very helpful as far as explaining carb choices and meal combinations.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • what you eat right before rarely has anything to do with the results from my research.  you are pre-disposed to it regardless of your diet before, so you probably would have failed no matter what. i'm surprised that you aren't taking the three hour, but it seems you may have had symptoms before that lead them to think you have it.  However, if you disagree, they can still have you take the three hour.  I would just ask.
  • imageladysingstheblues:

imagesalena.M:

My experience has not been easy but hopefully for you it will be!

I had to fast for my one hour test and my OB said that even if I had completely screwed up the fasting my numbers should never have been what they were. It isn't a question of how much sugar is in your system but how your body responds to the sugar in your system. If your pancreas was working the way it should then it would have amped up your natural insulin and your numbers would have been normal.

But I would ask and see if I could retest and do the 3 hour just to see. Maybe you could pass the 3 hour then you wouldn't have that diagnosis haunting you your whole pregnancy!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"