3rd Trimester
Options

Opinions needed- taking class after baby

I was planning on taking a fall semester class the begins the end of Aug and ends mid- Dec. I really dont want to get behind a whole semester, and its only one morning class a week, from 9 - 1 am. My mom has already agreed to watch the baby and I'm comfortable with that. If he comes early Nov, that would only leave me 6 classes to finish. I would probably miss one or two, to give birth and recover a little. But I'm pretty sure I could push through a few classes. What do you think? Anyone else in this situation?

Re: Opinions needed- taking class after baby

• Options
    If you let your professors know from the beginning, and plan ahead (i.e. read ahead in the syllabus, etc) it is definitely manageable.  One of my friends had twins in late november of her 2nd year of law school-- she basically just accelerated her semester so that she was "done" by the time she had the babies, and all she had to do was show up for the final exam in mid-December, which she was already prepared for.
  • Options
    I think it's doable! As long as you're comfortable with it, I think you'll be ok. It's not like it's every day or even every other day. You go girl!?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was going to continue with school, but then decided against it. DH and I decided there isn't a lot of reason for me to keep going to school not know what I want to do if I plan on being a stay at home mom anyway. I want baby and our home to be my priority. I can't imagine taking 4 hours away from a newborn. 
  • Options
    I think that everyone is different, but I wouldn't try to take classes with a newborn. Sure your mom may watch LO while you go to class, but when are you going to have time to get the work done?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

When I was completing my master's degree, we had class once a week for 4 hours. There was a girl who was pregnant in my class. She actually scheduled her induction for the day after we had class, missed the next class, and was back the following week.?

She was excited about coming to class because it gave her a few hours away from the house.

I definitely think you can do it! ?

• Options
    I am due the day before classes start for fall semester so I opted out. I was going to take 2 online classes & be considered part time, but the classes I need I can not take online (I wish I could take Chem I online). I was worried that if I were to go on campus for classes that I would miss at least the first 2-3 weeks for recovery.. I was very very uncomfortable after DD's birth that walking too far, sitting on hard chairs and riding in cars SUCKED.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am. But I've decided not to do it. It's not worth the risk of potentially wasting money to me. I also talked to my advisor and potential profressors about it to come to this decision. Some were willing to work with me, others were not. Just means I'll double up next summer. If you think you can do it, go for it.
  • Options
    For me, it would depend on the intensity of the class and the professor.  If you know the workload or who is teaching ahead of time, and you think that you can handle the load and the professor is a communicative, flexible person, go for it.  If you wind up missing just 2 classes, I doubt that is a problem, and I would think that getting out for a class once a week would be refreshing.  If there are huge projects or papers due at the end of class, that might be tough, but really it is all a matter of what you think you can handle.
  • Options
    Are there any classes you could take online?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think if you speak with your professor ahead of time, and get a bunch of work done in advance, this would be doable.  Depends if you're the type of person to be able to handle getting so much done beforehand.  You know you best, if you think you can get it done - do it.  If you think you might not and therefore will fail the class or have to drop it mid semester - save your money and take it in the winter. 
  • Options

Advice from a college professor ...

Either take online classes, which you obviously can do from home, OR

Be upfront and honest with your professor and department chair. Talk with them NOW, before you start class about making this work. Some professors are more flexible than others.

• Options

i'm no where near 3rd tri, but i figured i'd let you know what i am planing on doing

When i give birth around feb/march next year i will be in my last semester of nursing school. I've already looked at the schedule for that semester, and from right around the time i will give birth on there is no actual class time, it is al just logging hours at the hospital and writing a final research paper. I am planning on talking to my faculty ASAP before the semester begins and trying to get extra hours done before i give birth so i can take some times off. At a minimum i will take a week off and then i will have spring break either the folllowing week (so 2 weeks off) or the week after. It will be hard, but i really have no options, either i make it work or i wait a whole other year to graduate. If you really want to do it, then you most def can, esp with how little class time you will actually have.

GL!

• Options

imageJules G:
    I think that everyone is different, but I wouldn't try to take classes with a newborn. Sure your mom may watch LO while you go to class, but when are you going to have time to get the work done?

I plan on working ahead through the beginning of the semester, so hopefully the only thing to really worry about would be the final and maybe a project. I will be home on maternity leave, so I should find some time. I also have a very supportive DH who agreed to give me time at night alone if needed

• Options
    I'm taking 3 classes this fall and LO is due September 22nd. I'm just planning on telling the professors ahead of time that I won't be in class for a week or two. I hope they will give me the work ahead of time so I don't miss too much.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageemmared1986:

imageJules G:

I plan on working ahead through the beginning of the semester, so hopefully the only thing to really worry about would be the final and maybe a project. I will be home on maternity leave, so I should find some time. I also have a very supportive DH who agreed to give me time at night alone if needed

this is the only way i am going to make it work for me, DH has agreed (actually he bargined with me to get me to consent to trying) to ddoing all night tiime duty while i am still in school, so i can still get my homework done and have enough sleep to function in class

• Options

I'm due Nov. 6th and my classes start the end of August too.

I'm going part time.. I'm only taking lecture courses, so no lab.  I'm a science major, so I'll be behind because I can't take any lab courses.  But I think I can handle the two lectures.  I'll be on campus twice a week for a few hours. 

DH is all about me going, so I think as long as you have the support, go for it.  I think it'll be nice once LO is here, to get out of the house and do something "normal". 

• Options

It's totally doable!! I'm planning on doing a class this fall. That's great that your mom can watch the baby for you. It's only 4 hours so I don't think that's a big deal at all. DH is taking a half day of vacation for me to be able to leave for a few hours to go to class once a week. I had DS a week before my class was over and went back when he was a week old to deliver my final presentation. He didn't miss me for the hour I was gone:)

I have went back and forth with guilt about leaving for a few hours, but have ulitimitely decided that since LO is my priority, it would be best for our family to finish my master's and get on with my career. Just get your work done early!!

• Options

imagesalena.M:
    I want baby and our home to be my priority. I can't imagine taking 4 hours away from a newborn. 

wow.  i'm sorry, i find that a little offensive.

• Options

imageAMYfromKY:
    Are there any classes you could take online?

No sadly, I only have this class to take before my methods classes and student teaching 

• Options

I think it's a little offensive too about making LO a priority.

• Options
    imagejenn.swanstrom:

it's the attitude behind it.. obviously we are all trying to do what's best for LO but to me, it goes back to the whole SAH vs. working thing.. being away from LO for a few hours a week doesn't mean they aren't a priority like pp implied.

• Options
    imageMrsDeLaVara:
    imagejenn.swanstrom:

it's the attitude behind it.. obviously we are all trying to do what's best for LO but to me, it goes back to the whole SAH vs. working thing.. being away from LO for a few hours a week doesn't mean they aren't a priority like pp implied.

I 100% could not agree with you more. I couldn't figure out how to quote you last time to say I agreed. I'm a newbie:)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"