3rd Trimester

acrylic nails?

Are they okay? I totally spaced asking my doctor today, and don't want to bother the on call doc for this. I'm going for a spa day on my birthday saturday, and I have an appointment for just a regular manicure but I am thinking of just getting a full set, and being set for my baby shower the next weekend. 

Re: acrylic nails?

• Aren't those places ridiculously fumy? (sp?)

Can't you just call the doctor tomorrow? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ive heard its not a good idea because of all the fumes and powder type stuff that comes up in the air when they buff it down... but Im not 100%

I stuck with a plain mani/pedi.. and they did them both at the seat/tub so i wasnt around all that stuff...

but id love a set of white tips right now.. feel girly :o)

• Loading the player...
  • My Doctor said it isn't good to inhale all of the fumes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know I really want a nice set of hot pink tips to feel girly. I broke a nail earlier today so a mani will look kinda dumb. 
  • ironic... I literally JUST blogged about getting a pedicure today and feeling guilty about the fumes in there from the nail stuff.  I won't go back and I definitely would not get nails done and sit right there with those fumes, but it's one of those things where I'm sure pregnant woman do it and are 'fine'. 
  • Women who work in those places regularly have children I am sure and they breathe in the fumes everyday. I can't imagine much harm in a 1/2 hour session. FWIW I would get a regular manicure regardless- but I am not an acrylics type of girl! :)

• Yah you can do them, but be sure its in a well ventilated salon. Its just so iffy though- get them done wrong and you can get an infection or fungus.

I'd stick with the natural nails...Vitamins and being pregnant are making mine stronger and longer. Oh, and if you get acrylic you may be needing fills done sooner (if your nails grow quick).

• imagesalena.M:
    I know I really want a nice set of hot pink tips to feel girly. I broke a nail earlier today so a mani will look kinda dumb. 

Why can't you just trim/file your nails to a shorter length and get a regular mani?  You could still do hot pink.  I really don't see the problem here...then again, fake nails aren't really my thing to start with.

• Its like really short, like shorter than my cuticles. The place I go to is VERY well ventilated.  
  • If they place isn't well ventilated, and you're worried about fumes, ask for a mask to wear. I wouldn't get acrylic (well now) because it's murder keeping up with them, and I love the length of my naturals. Besides, you might not want them once LO is here, so I'd get use to shorter nails.
  • My doctor said it's fine. I've got them and I'm fine. The smells can make you sick to your stomach but there are ways to avoid inhaling it all. A lot of the techs wear masks. Just ask for a mask.
  • imagesalena.M:
    Its like really short, like shorter than my cuticles. The place I go to is VERY well ventilated.  

Did your entire nail rip off?  How would it be shorter than your cuticles?  If so then how would they even glue a plastic nail onto your (non)existent nail?  This is making less and less sense to me the more I try to think about it.

• imageBrownie_222:

imagesalena.M:
    Its like really short, like shorter than my cuticles. The place I go to is VERY well ventilated.  

Did your entire nail rip off?  How would it be shorter than your cuticles?  If so then how would they even glue a plastic nail onto your (non)existent nail?  This is making less and less sense to me the more I try to think about it.

I used the wrong word, I didn't mean cuticle. I meant that my nail is at its very shortest that it can be.  

•   Just my opinion, but I wouldn't do acrylic - get a nice manicure, maybe french? Much more classy and less upkeep!!
  • imageDiannadiva:
      Just my opinion, but I wouldn't do acrylic - get a nice manicure, maybe french? Much more classy and less upkeep!!

Don't forget that some of us love the tacky acrylics! Mine are blue glitter tips!!!

Devil 

• JMO, but- I think this is silly if you want acrylics put them on.  They look nice, and the amount of time you are in there getting them done won't do you harm. 

Have fun!!  Its nice to have your nails look nice.

• I've heard mixed reviews on going.

I personally won't go get mine done because when I get a set, I like to keep them for a long time with refills and such.. and I know I won't want them on when baby comes. I told my mother that I was going to get a pedicure before my due date and have them write PUSH on my big toes.. Haha. A little friendly reminder for labor. =)

• my dr with my ds told me it was fine. she said as long as you can stomach the smell the time you would be in there is so short. do what you feel is right
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wouldn't. I don't think there is anything conclusive, but there are some studies out there stated that acrylic nails are harmful, and that in many salons, they use chemicals that are illegal, which is why they have to wear masks. I have also heard about the chemicals getting into your bloodstream. I used to love acrylic nails and all the info I found scared me away.
  • imagesalena.M:
    I know I really want a nice set of hot pink tips to feel girly. I broke a nail earlier today so a mani will look kinda dumb. 

You can get a manicure and have a plastic tip put on the broken nail and filed down/shaped like your other nails. So if you wanted to avoid the fumes, you could do that.

I dunno how I'd feel about it... I mean, the nail technicians wear masks themselves.... I dunno if I'd do it, but rock on, girlie! :-)

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't normally post...but just a suggestion...instead of acrylics try gels.  My doctor gave me the complete go ahead on them as there's no fumes at all.  IMO they look nicer anyway and they don't smudge at all during my billion trips to the bathroom :)
  • I've been getting my acrylics filled every two weeks during my entire pregnancy.  It's fine.  The only concern is if the smell bothers you. 
  • I would absolutely enjoy your spa day and get the nails u want!!! If u are really concerned, ask the nail tech for a mask so u dont breath the dust in.  you would be very surprised at the few things that can actually hurt your baby!!!
  • As long as you're not bending directly over it and inhaling the fumes, it's fine.  I just push my chair back away from the table and lean back in my seat.  Been going for a manicure every two weeks this whole time.

• I was told they're fine. I wouldn't go to one of the little strip mall places where they use drills, since the fumes are usually awful and it may irritate you more than normal, but the nails themselves are fine. I plan to get mine done soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"