1st Trimester

Constipation help!

Hello, I have been having some contipation lately...still able to go but it is a lot of work.  I have never experienced this before so this is a new area for me.  I have eating fiber one bars and choking down prune juice.  Any other suggestions?  I can't stand the prune juice and I am wondering if there is something out there that might help better.  I am on Zofran which I know can make constipation worse:(

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Re: Constipation help!

• Purple grapes help me!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Real prunes work better for me and taste better.  I can't drink the juice.  Ick!  Make sure you're drinking enough fluids too.  Sometimes a short walk helps to get things going as well.  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Just eat as much fiber as you can, and eat it daily.

You can also try apples, peaches, apple juice, apple cider, and my doctor gave me the ok to use metamucil or other fiber products that you add to beverages. Fiber one also makes Pop Tarts, which I have been eating lately too.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm on Zofran too, and it's like my gut is paralyzed. ;) I'm taking Colace 100 mg tablets, one or two per day. You also have to make sure to get enough fluids or it won't work.

I tried adding benefiber to my liquids at first too, but it wasn't enough. I tried Miralax, but it made my drinks taste weird, and I was still too nauseated to tolerate it.

Just FYI, I still felt really crappy on zofran and phenergan, so I started taking reglan yesterday and I feel like it's helping a lot more, and it's not constipating - it actually even helps you go, since the way it works is to make things move through your GI tract faster. So if you find zofran isn't working well enough for you, you can ask about it. (I haven't taken any zofran since yesterday afternoon, and I would usually be taking my second dose right about now.)

• Take colace. It's 100% safe and you get results fast. I think it's the only safe pill for this stuff during pregnancy. You can double check with your doctor, mine said it was recommended.
  • In addition to what's already been suggested, drinking warm/hot liquids also helps sometimes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is colace a prescription?
  • My Dr. gave me a list of medications that are okay for me to take and for consipation it suggests Colase stool softner.  I used it a couple of weeks ago to ge moving, just be sure to only take one to start with a give it a couple of days to work or you will end with the opposite issue.  Hope this helps!
  • imageamandafisher:
    Is colace a prescription?

Nope, over the counter...

• I have talked with my gastro and OB and they recommended benefiber. If you mix it in juice or tea it's not bad. GL !?
  • The natural approach would be Flax Seed...you can get it anywhere. I recommend buying the whole seed kind and grinding it up once you get home. You can grind it with a coffee grinder or just squish it with a spoon. I use about two spoon fulls and it it in the morning with yogurt, cereal, or a smoothie whatever you prefer.

With Flaxseed there's no questioning if it's ok for baby, because it's natural and comes from mother earth!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I can't do prunes, so I either drink a big glass of apple juice or cut up apples to eat. Also - remember to drink plenty of water a lot of times that will help flush your system.

DS #1 born January 2010. DS #2 due June 2014.

• I've dealt with it my whole life and in the past year my gastro put me on miralax and it's great my cousin used it when she was pregnant so I am guessing it is safe to take and it is SO GENTLE on your stomach
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I've heard alot of women swear by hot water with lemon, and metimucil (sp). I also read in a pg book that putting your feet on a stack of books or a small step stool can help 'situate' your insides better to help with movement. I know it sounds weird, but supposedly it helps to have your knees elevated.
  • i couldn't take the constipation any longer and i got a stool softener. i got the phillips stool softener and i took 2 about 4 days ago and i have been regular ever since.
  • I am on metamucil.  It sucks but it works.
  • I hate the taste of prune juice too, so I mix it with V8 Splash.  It still works and you can't taste it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"