3rd Trimester

Newborns and sugar water/eye goo

My mom just called me to ask/tell me a few baby related things.  One of the things she mentioned was refusing to have sugar water given to the baby.  Has anyone ever heard of this?  I didn't know they give babies something to ingest.

She also mentioned waiting an hour before the eye goo being put in.  I know that it is legally required but has anyone heard of being allowed to delay it?

I meet with my MW on Monday so I will be bringing these up.  Just thought I'd ask around here first.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Newborns and sugar water/eye goo

• My MW didn't mention anything about delaying the eye goop, but said she'd give me some gauze so I could wipe it right back out...
  • The only reason I can think of that they would give sugar water to the baby is if they are doing a painful procedure like a circumcision.  It is supposed to help the baby.

Why should you wait an hour before the eye goo?  I have not heard that before.  I think some women decline it because supposedly it can impact breast feeding somehow, but I have no clue.  My baby will be getting the eye drops when the docs feel it is necessary.

• Loading the player...
  • Routine Eye Antibiotic Treatment

-The practice was started to prevent newborn blindness in babies born to mothers infected with Chlamydia and/or Gonorrhea

-The ointment most commonly used is either Erythromycin .5% ointment or Tetracycline 1% ointment

Disadvantages

-Blurring of vision for newborn, which some would argue affects bonding

-Bacterial resistance due to use of antibiotic

Alternatives

-Irrigate baby?s eyes with sterile water and a sterile syringe

-Use of breastmilk (and colostrum) in baby?s eyes

-Eye wash with Echinacea and eyebright infusion

-Diluted povidone iodine solution rinse

ETA: My midwife said I can't decline it, but just to wipe it right out.

Mungee and Me
    How is it that my BABY is going to be 3?

BFP-2/25/11; 8 Wk U/S-3/25/11-No HB, measured 6.5 wks; D&C
  • some places would give sugar water to the baby if they are doing something else... drawing blood, etc, but i don't think it's standard for anything in the newborn period.  as far as the eye ointment, why delay?  just get it done!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i don't know about the eye goo, but sugar water isn't really used much anymore unless the baby is born to a GD mom.  it used to be given because they thought the baby's blood sugar would bottom out, but it seems to only happen with GD babies.  you'll be fine refusing it if you want.
  • a lot of birth plans that are prefabricated that i've seen mention the sugar water thing..maybe they use it to calm baby while they are cleaning up? I'm not sure. but you can tell them not too    The eye goo i think  you need to do immediately as it stops the infection that can cause blindness..i'm not sure why you would want to delay it?  our hospital had some staggering statistic on how much the rate of blindness has decreased since they started using the ointment.

eta: somewhere i heard that the eye goo is gone with in minutes of them putting it on...

• they don't give sugar water unless they need to at our hospital. (ie I had GD and I knew there was a possibility if DD's blood sugar was low they'd give some or formula, but it wasn't needed).

Eye goo, my hospital does at first bath so about 2-3 hours post delivery.  I did BF first both times.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I'd just ask your midwife. I know some hospitals are getting more breastfeeding friendly, so they won't do the sugar water thing, but I'm sure there are still some holdouts; and as for the eye goo, I know in the state of MI at least, in order for any medical professional to keep their license, they legally have to do it within the first hour (but can wait til nearly the end of said hour.) YMMV
  • imageMadameFancyPants:

My mom just called me to ask/tell me a few baby related things.  One of the things she mentioned was refusing to have sugar water given to the baby.  Has anyone ever heard of this?  I didn't know they give babies something to ingest.

She also mentioned waiting an hour before the eye goo being put in.  I know that it is legally required but has anyone heard of being allowed to delay it?

I meet with my MW on Monday so I will be bringing these up.  Just thought I'd ask around here first.

'

Babies may be given sugar water or formula if there is a delay in your ability to feed them.  We asked that none be given and I breastfed in the recovery room post-c section.  We also asked for the eye ointment to be delayed until after I breastfed - so that was about 2 hours.  And I did wipe it off as soon as they gave it anyhow.  

• imageLeelaH:

The only reason I can think of that they would give sugar water to the baby is if they are doing a painful procedure like a circumcision.  It is supposed to help the baby.

Why should you wait an hour before the eye goo?  I have not heard that before.  I think some women decline it because supposedly it can impact breast feeding somehow, but I have no clue.  My baby will be getting the eye drops when the docs feel it is necessary.

She said it would impede his vision and in the first hour they are the most alert and it is good for bonding.  After, they fall into a deep sleep so that is a better time to use the eye meds since they don't need to see when they are sleeping.

Of course, I won't allow my mother to make decisions for our child, but it was interesting topic to think about and bring up with my MW.

• As for why delay - here was my reasoning.  The eye ointment is prophylactic and unless you have the STDs that it protects against many believe it's not necessary.  I was in that camp.  However, given that I ended up having a c-section and so many things had gone off the rails during my labor and delivery I didn't feel up to fighting it.  Asking that it be delayed allowed my baby to see my face without the ointment obscuring her vision during breastfeeding and the post-birth "wakeful" period. 
  • You can ask to have the eye meds delayed past the initial bonding period (a few hours) the reason for this is that once the meds are put into the babys eyes they can't see well for a while. If you wait they can see you and hear your voice so it is said to be better for bonding.

As far as sugar water, it is only given to babies that are having a hard time regulating their glucose level.

• imageJuliaKL:
    as far as the eye ointment, why delay?  just get it done!

I'm sorry, I tried to resist...but these kinds of responses really bother me.

If you admit you don't know what the pros/cons are, and it's not an issue you've given 5 seconds worth of thought to, why would you presume you should tell someone "just do it!" ?

• imageToledoDeux:

imageJuliaKL:

I'm sorry, I tried to resist...but these kind of responses really bother me.

If you admit you don't know what the pros/cons are, and it's not an issue you've given 5 seconds worth of thought to, why would you presume you should tell someone "just do it!" ?

Ditto. If you don't know anything about it, please don't go around telling people to just do it. 

We are refusing eye ointment at all (you can refuse it even though "it's a law") as I have no need for it and don't see any purpose in doing it, ESP right away when I don't want my child's eyes full of goop, but instead fixated on me on my breast. 

As for sugar water, that's pretty outdated I believe and you can and should definitely refuse that (if it's still standard at your hospital, ask, most aren't anymore) unless there is some crazy medical emergency where that would be necessary, which I admit I cannot figure out one that would warrant sugar water. 

• The eye stuff is not legally required.  You can waive it if you want.  We are.
    my blog: mama quiere beso
    Joaquin's hospital and Isela's birth center med & intervention free "hypnobabies" birth stories
  • I'm going to ask them to delay the eye goo. The worst that can happen is them saying no. I want him to get it, but since they're so alert for only an hour after birth I'd rather have him be able to see me!
  • The hospital I'm delivering at does not offer sugar water... and we are waiving the eye goo, we don't see a need for it.
    Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • imageJCM083009:
    imageToledoDeux:

imageJuliaKL:

Ditto. If you don't know anything about it, please don't go around telling people to just do it. 

We are refusing eye ointment at all (you can refuse it even though "it's a law") as I have no need for it and don't see any purpose in doing it, ESP right away when I don't want my child's eyes full of goop, but instead fixated on me on my breast. 

As for sugar water, that's pretty outdated I believe and you can and should definitely refuse that (if it's still standard at your hospital, ask, most aren't anymore) unless there is some crazy medical emergency where that would be necessary, which I admit I cannot figure out one that would warrant sugar water. 

let me clarify something: i absolutely respect the viewpoint that there are numerous ways to go through pregnancy, labor, and delivery.  i respect the decision of each woman on this board to do things her way.  that said, i personally am going to accept the advice of my doctors (OB and pediatrician) on issues such as the vitamin K, erythromycin eye ointment, and others.  i personally can see why you might want to delay the ointment but also can tell you that while many pediatricians might say you should delay an hour, there are an equal number who say that the time you have this done doesn't make a difference.  while i absolutely respect what you ladies are saying, i would also ask that you acknowledge there is a different side to this issue.  i do not mean to offend anyone, but please don't tell me what i have or have not researched.  let's agree to disagree on this one, shall we?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are refusing the eye stuff. We don't see a reason to do it.

And the sugar water won't be an issue with us but I've heard some hospitals do give it and or formula unless you specifically request them not to- it can interfere with successful breastfeeding. I would assume they do this if baby is fussy or during circumcision, etc... 

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• imageJuliaKL:
    imageJCM083009:
    imageToledoDeux:

imageJuliaKL:

let me clarify something: i absolutely respect the viewpoint that there are numerous ways to go through pregnancy, labor, and delivery.  i respect the decision of each woman on this board to do things her way.  that said, i personally am going to accept the advice of my doctors (OB and pediatrician) on issues such as the vitamin K, erythromycin eye ointment, and others.  i personally can see why you might want to delay the ointment but also can tell you that while many pediatricians might say you should delay an hour, there are an equal number who say that the time you have this done doesn't make a difference.  while i absolutely respect what you ladies are saying, i would also ask that you acknowledge there is a different side to this issue.  i do not mean to offend anyone, but please don't tell me what i have or have not researched.  let's agree to disagree on this one, shall we?

Yes, this sounds like you respect all views, etc.

imageJuliaKL:

Sorry, but regardless of what you're deciding to do, this statement does not come off as informed (not knowing why someone would choose to delay or forgo) or tolerant. 

• imagetrooper346:
    I'd just ask your midwife. I know some hospitals are getting more breastfeeding friendly, so they won't do the sugar water thing, but I'm sure there are still some holdouts; and as for the eye goo, I know in the state of MI at least, in order for any medical professional to keep their license, they legally have to do it within the first hour (but can wait til nearly the end of said hour.) YMMV

I live in MI, and I denied the eye goop for my DD with no problems. I just had to sign a form. We could have denied the Vit K injection too, but we were fine with her receiving that.There was never a need for her to have sugar water, so that wasn't an issue. You can deny anything-that is your right as a parent!  Just be informed.
  • imageJuliaKL:

This is not about whether the antibiotics are the right thing to do or not.  It's about helping someone else make an informed decision - and I'm sorry, but

imageJuliaKL:

doesn't scream "I've done tons of research on this" to me.  That is what I was reacting to.  If you have looked into this issue, and your response was just poor wording, I apologize...but either way, it wasn't the most helpful answer to give someone.

• The sugar water I don't know anything about and shall not comment.  But as for the eye stuff, we were told we can refuse it (just like any medical procedure), and we probably will, but my reasoning is a little different.  I am allergic to erythromiacen and as there isn't a none -miacen option I'd prefer not to risk it.  My OB said there is a small chance (like teeny tiny small) that it could cause LO problems since any antibodies/immune system he'lll have at that point will have come from me. 

• imageIselaCid:
    The eye stuff is not legally required.  You can waive it if you want.  We are.

This is true in some states, others will call CPS/DCFS if you refuse in a medical setting.

ETA - can, not will. Some doctors are more willing to fight the system to give you what you want, others are just going to look out for themselves.

• imageShellbelle22:

imagetrooper346:
    I'd just ask your midwife. I know some hospitals are getting more breastfeeding friendly, so they won't do the sugar water thing, but I'm sure there are still some holdouts; and as for the eye goo, I know in the state of MI at least, in order for any medical professional to keep their license, they legally have to do it within the first hour (but can wait til nearly the end of said hour.) YMMV

I live in MI, and I denied the eye goop for my DD with no problems. I just had to sign a form. We could have denied the Vit K injection too, but we were fine with her receiving that.There was never a need for her to have sugar water, so that wasn't an issue. You can deny anything-that is your right as a parent!  Just be informed.

I'm glad you got to go the route you wanted, some places aren't quite so willing to put themselves in the position of taking the bullet if a patient/parent refuses.

• imagetrooper346:
    imageShellbelle22:

imagetrooper346:

I'm glad you got to go the route you wanted, some places aren't quite so willing to put themselves in the position of taking the bullet if a patient/parent refuses.

Well yes I have heard that some places give you a VERY hard time. And like you mentioned, some states even call CPS. But from my understanding, CPS cannot do anything. You are within your rights to refuse it.  Period. Though if I lived in an area where CPS would be called, I would make sure it was really important to me because having CPS on my a$$ right after giving birth is obviously not an ideal situation.

• imageMadameFancyPants:

She said it would impede his vision and in the first hour they are the most alert and it is good for bonding.  After, they fall into a deep sleep so that is a better time to use the eye meds since they don't need to see when they are sleeping.

This is what my childbirth class instructor said, as well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

wife to joe 2.2.08. mama to noah 9.5.09.
    After multiple m/c's, a MTHFR diagnosis and the Lord calling both of our hearts in the same direction, we're adopting!
    theluckiest
    Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
  • Never heard of the sugar water thing.

We asked our MW to delay the eye goop until we have had time to bond and attemp BF'ing.

If we wanted to refuse we would have had to sign a form saying we are denying our MW's access to our child.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"