Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

anyone get dehydrated in the beginning

so im not doing too well emotionally right now and to top it off i have some wicked poops...i am so not hungry and im afraid that im getting dehydrated...im trying to drink as much water as possible, but im nowhere near the 2L a day that i was drinking when pg...

how much water are you drinking a day if you are BFing??

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Jameson Adam 6/1/11
Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: anyone get dehydrated in the beginning

• Options
    You MUST drink water. It's very dehydrating. I drink 150-200 oz per day, but I also have an oversupply that I don't want to go away as I EP.?
  • Options
    At the very beginning I was SOO dehydrated (I EBF).. I would start to feed LO and IMMEDIATELY need something.. I really craved something sweet for some reason and always wanted juice. For some reason water was just not that appealing to me, so I started getting flavored water and that really did the trick. I do not have that dehydrated feeling anymore..it went away after a couple weeks. You should make sure you are drinking a lot of water either way though..it keeps your supply up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMarriedBestFriends:
    You MUST drink water. It's very dehydrating. I drink 150-200 oz per day, but I also have an oversupply that I don't want to go away as I EP.

when did you start pumping? can i ask why you EP instead of BFing? I would love to pump so someone else could do a feeding but i know that a bottle shouldnt be introduced until after 3-4w in a EBF baby, but im a mess...

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageaniceucchik:

imageMarriedBestFriends:
    You MUST drink water. It's very dehydrating. I drink 150-200 oz per day, but I also have an oversupply that I don't want to go away as I EP.

when did you start pumping? can i ask why you EP instead of BFing? I would love to pump so someone else could do a feeding but i know that a bottle shouldnt be introduced until after 3-4w in a EBF baby, but im a mess...

Just wanted to let you know that I started pumping immediately (best to do first thing in the morning as you usually have the most milk then) and I introduced bottles immediately so my dh could help at night and there has been no problems.. I just make sure she sucks from the bottom of the nipple of the bottle where it is widest to help prevent any nipple confusion....

• Options
    I haven't been properly hydrated since I went into labor. BF is thirsty work- DS is 3 months and I still drink like a fish.
  • Options
    Yes and I ended up at the ER 2.5 weeks post partum.  I had some other complications at the end of my pregnancy so when I started to feel like crap they sent me to the ER.  Luckily I was just dehydrated..
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Options
    I helps me to drink more if I keep a pitcher of cold water in the fridge and put a splash of juice or some lemon juice into my water.
  • Options
    imageaniceucchik:

imageMarriedBestFriends:

Sure- I EP because DD was born at 35 weeks and was introduced to bottles right away. By the time she "got" BF'ing (around the time she would have been 40 weeks) she would eat for 5 minutes and then scream and pummel me because I wasn't a bottle. It didn't end and a nipple shield killed my supply (it took a lot of hard work to bring it back to what it is today). So I EP. It sucks balls and I wish everyday that I would have told them to get that f'ing bottle out of her mouth at the hospital, but here we are. My goal is for her to have BM for a year, hopefully without the need for formula. If I were you I would keep at BF'ing and introduce bottles around week 3 or 4, when Bf'ing is ?well established. you still have to pump at the time that LO eats, even if H is feeding, so it doesn't save you much. ?

• Options
    Did the hospital give you a water cup?  In my post partum room I got a big cup wiht a lid and straw that holds 28 ozs.  I try to drink at least 5 a day but ideally I should be drinking closer to 8.  I'm still taking a ton of pain meds from the c-section and between that and breast feeding I'm always thirsty.  Hungry? Not so much, but I am forcing myself to eat fruit to also help with the hydration.  Good luck and please don't beat yourself up about this.  Sounds like you're having a hard time but this is really hard.  Don't feel bad about feeling bad and needing and wanting help.  Maybe DH can be on water duty?  Making sure you've always got a full glass of something to drink? 
  • Options
    Yeah, I had dehydration and rock harp poops that made me bleed a little.  I spoke with my doctor and he said I need to be taking more Colace, I was only taking one a day at the time, and also recommended Metamucil...and of course plenty of fluids.  I'm still pretty dependent on the Colace (generic bottle just says Stool Softener on itj) cuz I just don't like drinking fluids.  Also, the Colace takes a few days to help.
  • Options

Drink as much water or other fluids as you can.  I probably drink about 80 oz a day now but it was much more when EC was born.  I didn't want to eat a lot for a couple of weeks either. 

Oh and it took almost 8 weeks for the constipation to go away.  Fiber helped a lot.

You may want to put some slices of cucumber in a pitcher of water.  That always tastes better to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"