1st Trimester

Using the term Preggy ect.

what is your take on this ladies.  It seems like we have some issues with this.  For me I really dont mind.  I may not say Preggy ect but Im not going to get all offensive if anyone else says it. 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers pregnancy calendar

Re: Using the term Preggy ect.

• I don't care honestly.  If someone says it, I don't get all bent out of shape.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Jack Emmett born on 2/2/10 after 17 cycles and a miscarriage
    Calvin Wyatt born on 1/10/12. Our surprise baby!

EP Facebook Group ~*~ My Baby/Life Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • The reason I get so offended by the term is that I have one friend that has referred to me as preggo and pregosaurus. I'm sorry. I wasn't bridezilla, and for the most part in these ten weeks my emotions have also been kept in check. I think it's disgraceful to talk about something so beautiful in such an ugly fashion. I just want to feel like the goddess I am....God knows men can't do this!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Those terms make me feel uncomfortable and anxious.

• I am not "preggy, preggers or prego".  i am pregnant.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ok, i'll bite.

as i said in the post below i think if you are old enough/mature enough/ intelligent enough to be having a baby and you want to be taken seriously then you should be using the correct terms. terms such as "preggo, BD, BBs" and the like are things that high schoolers say, not adults. i mean, when you teach your child about the brids and the bees are you gonna say "well when i daddy just loves a mommies BBs they do the BD and she gets preggo!" no, so why should we use those terms when discussing things as adults?

• I dont ever use it, I would never call someone a "crippie" just because they were crippled, it just sounds stupid to me.
  • I really don't care for it, but my pet peeve is when husbands say "We are pregnant". No, your wife is pregnant, and you both are expecting.
    TTC#1 since Mar 2008. Serious MFI due to cancer. 3 cancelled IUI's, just about every test in the book. IVF#1 - BFP! Twin girls arrived 2/5/10 at 35w2d. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • just curious ladies, but if we all hate it, why do we let so many people get away with it on here? that is what my post on BOTB was about, so many people seem to say it, but when i make a comment about it i get side eye for being snarky...
  • I say prego all the time. I don't understand what the big deal is. Its a WORD to describe being PREGNANT we use abbreviations for everything else on here who cares if someone cut pregnant short. If you don't like it more power to you, but I personally think prego preggers whatever it is all fine with me.
  • I hate it. I think it sounds juvenile and immature. FWIW, I hate these terms in real like as well and have corrected people that say your are preggo or preggy or preggers. The people I know IRL that use that terminology are immature so that is what I relate it to.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • It's a word. Do I use it? No. Do I shiit my pants when others do? Nope.

I focus my attention on world peace and ending child abuse.

• Indifferent   WOW.

It doesn't bother me whatsoever.  Infact, I have refered to myself by the various terms (ie, prego, KU)

• Personally, I hate the terms preggie, preggo, and preggers.  And yes, I will tend to make snap judgments about people who use them.  The term is pregnant, and if you're old enough to have sex and old enough to have a baby, you should be mature enough to call it what it is.

I'm also a freak about language, though, and have been known to get violent over things like "I could care less" and "for all intensive purposes." 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageChristenExpecting:

Those terms make me feel uncomfortable and anxious.

They make me SO EMOTIONAL!

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012

The term prego makes you feel uncomfortable or anxious but yet you post a disgusting cake on your signature?!

• I finally had to tell my friend that I wasn't named preggers. Otherwise she would have kept calling me that.

It's not a condition. It's a blessing! And the idea of a husband saying "We are pregnant." I totally agree with the woman that said it's not a "we" thing. It's a her thing!

• ehh don't really care either way.
  • imageladybutler:
    what is your take on this ladies.  It seems like we have some issues with this.  For me I really dont mind.  I may not say Preggy ect but Im not going to get all offensive if anyone else says it. 

100% agree. It's not correct to say it but on the bump boards you kind of get sick of typing out the word pregnant or pregnancy every 5 seconds. I don't get upset at people shortening the word like prego, preggy, pg, preggers etc.

• imagemurfygirl:
    imageChristenExpecting:

The term prego makes you feel uncomfortable or anxious but yet you post a disgusting cake on your signature?!

murfy, you may want to have your sarcasm meter checked. ?I think it's broken.

::giggle::?

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
  • It doesn't bother me, I don't really say those words but my sister does and I have friends who do.  There are more important things to get bent out of shape about. 
  • I think there are a lot bigger issues in life to get bent out of shape over.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSoonerBred:
    just curious ladies, but if we all hate it, why do we let so many people get away with it on here? that is what my post on BOTB was about, so many people seem to say it, but when i make a comment about it i get side eye for being snarky...

I dont like those terms either so I just dont say them.....but why would you try and not let some one "get away with it"? That sounds ridiculous. If you dont like the words, dont say them. This is a board for Mother-to-Be to get a long and share ideas, tips, ask questions....who gives a flip if someone says a word you dont like??

A great quote from my mother sums it up : "If you dont like my ass, dont look at it"

• I'm not sure why people get their panties in a knot over this. I don't say it but I don't get cranky when someone else does. Who cares? I'm get more annoyed at the people that post the preggo sauce images.. give me a break.
  • I would just prefer to say that I'm pregnant.  I don't really care if others use it.  Yes, it's annoying but it doesn't bother me enough to comment.  It annoys me more when someone says it IRL.  .
  • imageThe Vaughns:

imageSoonerBred:
    just curious ladies, but if we all hate it, why do we let so many people get away with it on here? that is what my post on BOTB was about, so many people seem to say it, but when i make a comment about it i get side eye for being snarky...

I dont like those terms either so I just dont say them.....but why would you try and not let some one "get away with it"? That sounds ridiculous. If you dont like the words, dont say them. This is a board for Mother-to-Be to get a long and share ideas, tips, ask questions....who gives a flip if someone says a word you dont like??

A great quote from my mother sums it up : "If you dont like my ass, dont look at it"

Yes

• I don't mind it at all.  I don't really use it (or often) but my husband sometimes refers to me as "preggers" and I think its like a cute pet name.  Sure, we're adults, and we both know the real term, but there isn't a problem with giving a cute term to having a baby - I mean, I think baby's are pretty cute, so I don't mind the cutesy terms at all.
    Mom to Cameron, born March 6, 2010
    BFP December 27, 2010, MC January 2, 2011
    BFP March 17, 2011, MC April 7, 2011
    BFP August 22, 2011, EDD April 21, 2012
    My Blog:
  • imagemlf625:
    imageChristenExpecting:

They make me SO EMOTIONAL!

You make me LOL!  I don't know what's funnier... your comment, or this response to mine:

"The term prego makes you feel uncomfortable or anxious but yet you post a disgusting cake on your signature?! "

• imagemlf625:
    imagemurfygirl:
    imageChristenExpecting:

murfy, you may want to have your sarcasm meter checked.  I think it's broken.

::giggle:: 

HAHAHA I just now got it when I re read her post and was like oops she was being sarcastic. Sorry forgive me long BAD day at work and only got 3 hours of sleep last night so I am slightly retarded today! 

• imageSoonerBred:

Because it doesn't matter.  Some of the ladies on here get so caught up in things that don't matter one little bit.  It's not as bad as The Knot (ugh...planning and etiquette board).

I always roll my eyes when some woman comes on here and whines about how "I'm not a jar of spaghetti sauce".   I'm curious if these ladies say "I'm not a little talking pig," when their husbands call them Babe. 

I know "pregnant" is the appropriate word, but people use slang all the time to discuss what's going on with their body. For example,  I don't say that I'm menstruating; I say I've got my period.
    "Cool as Hell like e-mail, but still timeless like a letter."
  • I hate it, but it doesn't drive me nuts when someone says it.
  • imagemurfygirl:
    imageChristenExpecting:

Yes.  That's why they call me "Freak Nasty". 

Sounds like somebody's  grumpy.  Are you constipated?

• imageSoonerBred:

I get that you don't like the words... fine.  But it's not so horrifying that we shouldn't let people "get away with it" like it's akin to a racial slur or something. Confused

• HOLY COW!! people have TIME to worry about other people saying preggo, preggers etc? man glad I have more useful things to do with my time. lol
  • imageAnniekins214:

imageSoonerBred:

Because it doesn't matter.  Some of the ladies on here get so caught up in things that don't matter one little bit.  It's not as bad as The Knot (ugh...planning and etiquette board).

I always roll my eyes when some woman comes on here and whines about how "I'm not a jar of spaghetti sauce".   I'm curious if these ladies say "I'm not a little talking pig," when their husbands call them Babe.

*giggle*.....I heart you:)

• imagemurfygirl:
    imagemlf625:
    imagemurfygirl:
    imageChristenExpecting:

HAHAHA I just now got it when I re read her post and was like oops she was being sarcastic. Sorry forgive me long BAD day at work and only got 3 hours of sleep last night so I am slightly retarded today! 

Whoops, just read this murfy.  Sorry, I don't think you're constipated.  Embarrassed

• I don't think it's a case of needing to correct someone on these boards. I think it's just a topic of discussion. I agree we don't need to waste our time correcting people, but if someone bother you IRL about them saying the shortened terms by all means, let them know. I'm more okay with pg than preggers. I hate that word for some reason....I think it's still my ridiculous friend who would answer her phone, "Hey Preggers, what's up?" when I would call her....
  • Doesn't bother me. People don't say things like that to be offensive, just funny (and sometimes not even that, it's just how they say it). Do we really need labels to feel empowered? I'm sorry, but enduring 9 months of ups and downs followed by 18 hours of labor and pushing is enough to make me feel strong and empowered. We women are awesomely designed and no label could take away or add to that...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    imagemurfygirl:
    imagemlf625:
    imagemurfygirl:
    imageChristenExpecting:

Whoops, just read this murfy.  Sorry, I don't think you're constipated.  Embarrassed

HAHAHA I am grouchy! I am PREGO I can't help it and now that you mention it I haven't pooped in a few days too. Wink 

• Really?? They are WORDS. If you don't like them, don't use them, however, don't come on here and criticize someone for using terms you don't prefer. If they are not using them in a negative fashion towards you, don't worry about it. Besides, I'm sure we all have much bigger things to worry about these days than someone using 'proper english' to describe their pregnancy status. 

I personally don't use them but only because I feel silly saying it out loud. Maybe it's because I'm 36 and beyond that sort of thing or maybe it's just because it's not my style. Either way, I certainly don't care who wants to use them, nor would I think less of anyone else for using them.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"