Philadelphia Babies

Best school districts in DelCo?

My husband and I are looking to buy a house in Delaware county, but neither of us are from the area. Does anyone know what the good school districts are? I appreciate your input!
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Best school districts in DelCo?

• Garnet Valley & Rose Tree Media are the better ones. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I would agree Rose Tree Media or Great Valley i grew up and now moved back in RTM!! I may be bias!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Ditto PP and Ridley school district.
  • jc&catjc&cat member
    Springfield apparently has very good schools. In fact they are building this high tech place where the middle school is right now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We're in Upper Darby school district and plan on moving before DS is in school- they aren't very good.  I've heard Haverford school district is good, as is Rose Tree/Media, like pp said.
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have to veto Ridley... I went there and not only are there sketchy neighborhoods that feed into the SD, but the middle and high schools have been dealing with drug problems recently. It wasn't what I experienced more than a decade ago, but I know they have had parent meetings and everything about it and I have friends and family who have experienced problems. When I did go there, the district was great with the top half of the class, but underacheivers and problem students were often just "pushed-through" the system and not paid much attention too.

My husband and I are also in the process of trying to move to Delco and Rose Tree/Media and Garnet Valley SDs are among our top choices in Delaware County.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I also would not think Ridley would be in the top choices....Definitely Garnet Valley is like #1 but to live out there you need $$$$$$$$$$.  Rose Tree Media is pretty good (that is where I went through). 
    BFP#1=1/17/08 Missed m/c: 3/19/08@ 12 w D&C 3/21/08 BFP #2=8/5/08 She arrived 4/16/09! image BFP#3 7/9/11 EDD:3/16/11 Logan Patrick born sleeping on 3/20/11 image
  • Ridley is not a top choice?  I did not know this!  My experience there in the past 5 years in the elem. schools has been awesome and I know of many families that move into this area just for the schools.  Is it the elementary schools or more the middle and high school?
  • I went to Strath Haven and loved it (Wallingford-Swarthmore SD).  However that was years ago and I'm not sure what it's like now.  I know there was an article last year "Best Places to Live in America" or something like that and Wallingford was in the top ten and the schools probably played a role in that.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IMG_5000 edit
  • I have a special needs 7th grader in Ridley, and from my own experience, here's what I can tell you.  The district has a lot of resources at it's disposal, but if your child has special needs, you will have to fight tooth and nail for them.  While I think Ridley is an excellent SD for the average child, I am not impressed with the way they handle their special needs students.
  • Stay far far far FAR away from William Penn School District.  It is awful.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • a website with a lot of info is greatschools.net
  • Ridley is a no go! Haverford is the way to go, trust me!!!
  • Wow... these answers seem to be across the board!  I'm putting on my non-realtor hat to answer this question because when I'm on the job we're not allowed to say one district is better than the other.  However, as a lifelong resident of Delaware Co, I'd like to answer... :)

I agree that Ridley, William Penn, and Upper Darby are a NO GO.  Ridley isn't SO bad, but if you had to choose out of all the Delco school districts, I just wouldn't pick this one.

Garnet Valley, Wallingford-Swarthmore, and Rose Tree are great districts. 

I would rate Haverford as a middle of the road district.  I haven't heard of many people raving about it. 

Did you know that Radnor is in Delaware County?  IMO, Radnor is the best.  I'm terribly biased, however, because I live here.  But I have to say that I bought my house based on the fact that it is in Radnor Twp so we could be in this district. 

Two good sites: www.greatschools.net and www.schoolmatters.com

I'm going to PM my contact info to you as well...

• LOL. That's funny. I was just about to say this! Although I came out of this district and I think I did alright. =D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"