2nd Trimester

Getting Ready Before Going to the Hospital?

When it's time for me to go the hospital, if I have time I plan on taking a shower, fixing my hair, and putting some make-up on before we go no matter what time it is.  I know that sounds completely shallow but I want to at least feel clean and look halfway decent for any visitors and pictures.  I of course plan on repeating that after I deliver as well.  Is anyone else going to try this?

Re: Getting Ready Before Going to the Hospital?

• If I have time I will probably take a shower since I know it could be a couple of days before I would have time to shower again. I don't normally blow dry my hair, unless I am needing to dress up, and I'm not a traditional make up wearer. I do understand the need for a shower.

FWIW, if your water has broken it is probably best to not take a shower. I would think you would want to do as little as possible to reduce the risk of introducing bacteria to the uterus and baby. Would anyone agree with me on this?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, I'm hoping to have time for that, too.... and I don't think its shallow as long as everything is safe.  You should feel your best on that important day!
    IMG_3932
  • Loading the player...
  • I probably will too.  I'll try to shave my legs, for sure (if I can at that point :-)  I had to go to the ER in January for a really bad virus and I refused to go until I took a shower and shaved (even though I almost fainted and got really ill afterward).   Although I will tell you once I was in the ER feeling the way I did I didn't care how the heck I looked.

• imageAbinormal:

If I have time I will probably take a shower since I know it could be a couple of days before I would have time to shower again. I don't normally blow dry my hair, unless I am needing to dress up, and I'm not a traditional make up wearer. I do understand the need for a shower.

FWIW, if your water has broken it is probably best to not take a shower. I would think you would want to do as little as possible to reduce the risk of introducing bacteria to the uterus and baby. Would anyone agree with me on this?

A shower should be ok- all the water runs down. Just don't go bathing in a lake or something.
  • If you have time and that's what you want to do, go for it! My advice would be to not put a lot of make-up on because when you are laboring and pushing, obiously, you will sweat and it will run off. Maybe just some concealer and mascara. I showered and did my hair before DD was born, but no makeup and I'm glad I didn't because it would have been gone (and I had an epidural). You should do what you feel comfortable with though.

As for after baby is born, you will probably not be able (or wanting) to take a shower until the next day, especially if you have had an epi because they make you wait a certain amount of time before they let you walk on your own. You won't even care at that point, you'll be so happy to have LO in your arms!

• I had planned this the first time around and I did get all "fixed" before I went to the hospital.  I have to have planned inductions, so there was plenty of time.  However, my plans to get "pretty" after delivery were cancelled.  I was so tired and sore I couldn't care less what I looked like!  And I am one of those people that puts on make up just to run to wal-mart.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • As long as I have time, I'm going to make myself as presentable as possible! I wear makeup every day so I will feel so awful if I go to the hospital that way. I probably won't care once I get there and have to start pushing but I'll be hiding the after pictures if I look twice as bad as I could! I'm sure DH will wonder what the heck I'm getting ready for though!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all the advice!
  • Well in a perfect world I would love that, I hear bathing will kick up the labor process. I would like to get my hair in braids as well so its out of my face but who knows what it will be like once the time strikes.
  • Leap08Leap08 member
    imageBlueEyedBaby:

As for after baby is born, you will probably not be able (or wanting) to take a shower until the next day, especially if you have had an epi because they make you wait a certain amount of time before they let you walk on your own. You won't even care at that point, you'll be so happy to have LO in your arms!

Really? I think it depends on the person and the type of birth. My cousin was in the shower about an hour after each of her babies were born.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I am going to shower and put make up on too. Now this has me wondering who I am going to ask to do the touch up after delivery, but before all the photos start! LOL :)
  • My hospital's policy is when they take the baby away to the nursery for bood work and first bath, the mom gets to shower during that time before they take her to the post partum room.

I didn't shower before I went to the hospital in labor with DS and my legs were kind of hairy but I really didn't care.  I was in the shower about 1.5 hours after I gave birth and since I tore delivering my doc wanted me to do sitz baths 3x a day for the first week.  All in all, I think I was in the tub/shower 6 times during my hospital stay.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Am I the only one on here who doesn't care about this stuff?  As soon as it's time, I'm out the door.  If it's in the middle of the night, perhaps I will try showering, but who knows.  Whatever plans are in the cosmos for me, I'll take. 
  • I had a scheduled induction with DD so I was able to get up in the morning and take a shower, shave my legs and pull my hair back.  No make up or anything.  I didn't want visitors until AFTER the baby came. Just me and DH.  So I didn't care what I looked like.  I had an epi with DD and about an hour or so after I delivered I was in the shower and felt good.  Got up in the morning and took another one, then had visitors.  During labor I couldn't care less what I looked like.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    'Til He returns, or calls me home,
    Here in the power of Christ I stand.
  • I don't think it sounds shallow. I plan on doing the same thing!
  • That sounds reasonable, as long as you're ready to abandon your plans and GO if you need to!  I labored at home for about 30 hours before going to the hospital with my first, so I had time for a couple of showers!  You will want to feel fresh, though, because you may not feel like getting out of bed much for the first couple of days after birth.  Oh, and even with a shower, I didn't look too great after delivery!  You'll have time to freshen up before visitors, though.

• imagemetta1313:
    Am I the only one on here who doesn't care about this stuff?  As soon as it's time, I'm out the door.  If it's in the middle of the night, perhaps I will try showering, but who knows.  Whatever plans are in the cosmos for me, I'll take. 

This!  I will probably shower 2X a day and make sure I'm not hairy.  I don't usually leave the house w/o makeup... but looking good for a picture isn't my priority.  I'd like it to be real anyway.  If I look like I was just in labor for 20 hours, then it will help me remember the true experience :)  I'll get done up the day after for sure.

IAmPregnant Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With my first, I didnt really get ready too much before I left, and I ended up in labor for 24 hours and going through so much and then dealing with a csection. I look tired and swollen but very happy in the pictures,

the second time had to be a scheduled csection and i got ready and did my makeup and stuff beforehand and the pictures look like i didnt go through anything.

this time it will have to be a scheduled csection but i will probably skip the makeup. i will end up crying it all off anyway :)?

• I could care a less what I look like when I go to the hospital or have visitors, it will only be close friends and immediate family anyway and they have seen me at my worst so I don't care. I will though try and take a shower and shave, I hate feeling unclean and who knows when I will be able to take another shower. As long as my hair is out of my face I will be a happy mommy! I know looking good will be so far out of my mind that I'm not even thinking about it til I read your post!
  • I hope to be able to take a shower before we go.

In Belly Laughs, Jenny McCarthy writes about going for a blow out when her contractions started.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was able to do this with my last two deliveries because they were inductions and I knew ahead of time.  I'm not so sure that I'd be up to it in the middle of labor (or even care for that matter).  So, it will depend on how things go down this time.

• once I hit 35 weeks I plan on showering in the morning and at night and shaving once a day... that way no matter what time I go into labor I am clean enough to be in labor a while. A friend of mine went in to labor in the middle of the night and was in labor for 24 hours and she was so thankful that she had showered that night before bed.
    Mom to 2 healthy boys, and a baby girl in Heaven. Heard her heartbeat on 7/18, heartbeat was gone on 7/20. Miss you forever.
  • imagemetta1313:
    Am I the only one on here who doesn't care about this stuff?  As soon as it's time, I'm out the door.  If it's in the middle of the night, perhaps I will try showering, but who knows.  Whatever plans are in the cosmos for me, I'll take. 

This...I totally agree.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"