Babies: 9 - 12 Months

pooping little hard balls...advice?

it's been days of him straining and pooping out these little balls! i've never had this problem with him so not sure what to do.

Re: pooping little hard balls...advice?

• How old is your lo? Apple juice and prunes have worked for my ds.
  • Prunes and then stand back!
  • Loading the player...
  • How old? Is he on solids yet? Constipation is almost always linked to a problem with diet, so I would examine it and see what you could change. You can try prune juice to help if necessary (depending on age).
  • Give him apple sauce or pears. It sounds like he needs more fruit. I usually add a small amount of pear or apple juice to his cereal to avoid this from happening.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagencsubride:
    Prunes and then stand back!

lol irl

• A couple of spoonfuls of prunes mixed with his babyfood will do wonders.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • Prunes are the only thing that works for DS- he gets them EVERY morning! :)

We did prune juice in his bottles before he was on solids. HTH!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagemsabol2077:
    Give him apple sauce or pears. It sounds like he needs more fruit. I usually add a small amount of pear or apple juice to his cereal to avoid this from happening.

Applesauce is binding. Apple juice? Fine. But not applesauce. 

I would suggest adding ground flax to his diet if he is on solid foods. You can buy it at your grocery store - just make sure to store it in the fridge when you are not using it. You can put a teaspoon in yogurt or in a puree, and it should get things going in no time. 

• Agree with Kel... avoid applesauce! Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast are the staples of the "BRAT diet", used to bind you up and stop diarrhea... so steer clear when dealing with constipation. Apple juice is different. I think wholesomebabyfoods.com explains why.

We've had the same issue for the last couple months and have tried everything... whole containers of prunes do nothing for Lyla, unfortunately. Apple-prune juice didn't help either. The pedi said straight prune juice every day is probably our best bet, but I can't get her to drink it, so we're still figuring it out. In the meantime, any "p" foods are supposedly good for constipation... pears, peaches, prunes, even peas. I've also noticed that blueberries in the mesh feeder has helped a few times, don't know why. Maybe because she gets the "meat" without the skin? And I think upping her water intake may be helping, too.

Good luck!

• imageSBear12:

I've also noticed that blueberries in the mesh feeder has helped a few times, don't know why. Maybe because she gets the "meat" without the skin? And I think upping her water intake may be helping, too.

Good luck!

Blueberries ALWAYS make Lili poop like crazy. So do black beans and raisins.  She also drinks a ton of water throughout the day.

• imageSBear12:

Agree with Kel... avoid applesauce! Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast are the staples of the "BRAT diet", used to bind you up and stop diarrhea... so steer clear when dealing with constipation. Apple juice is different. I think wholesomebabyfoods.com explains why.

We've had the same issue for the last couple months and have tried everything... whole containers of prunes do nothing for Lyla, unfortunately. Apple-prune juice didn't help either. The pedi said straight prune juice every day is probably our best bet, but I can't get her to drink it, so we're still figuring it out. In the meantime, any "p" foods are supposedly good for constipation... pears, peaches, prunes, even peas. I've also noticed that blueberries in the mesh feeder has helped a few times, don't know why. Maybe because she gets the "meat" without the skin? And I think upping her water intake may be helping, too.

Good luck!

Our pedi told us blueberries are good for constipation too! :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagekelbrian:
    imageSBear12:

I've also noticed that blueberries in the mesh feeder has helped a few times, don't know why. Maybe because she gets the "meat" without the skin? And I think upping her water intake may be helping, too.

Good luck!

Blueberries ALWAYS make Lili poop like crazy. So do black beans and raisins.  She also drinks a ton of water throughout the day.

Oooh black beans... that's one I haven't tried. Lyla's definitely getting some for lunch today! :)

• If it does not get any better, I would STRONGLY recommend you go and talk to your pedi.  I tried everything listed above with my DD and still nothing.  Finally went to the pedi and she is on an ADULT dose of MiraLax.  It sucks!! GL
  • imageval55:
    it's been days of him straining and pooping out these little balls! i've never had this problem with him so not sure what to do.

Eat them !!! 

• imageScottblue:

imageval55:

Eat them !!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"