3rd Trimester

Poll: Do you buy gifts on clearance?

I am curious how many people often buy gifts on clearance.  I am not sure why, but I always thought it was not usually supposed to be done.  I don't mean getting something with a coupon or something weird, but more where something is super old and marked down to practically nothing. I don't know- I love buying stuff like that for myself, but I'm not sure I could give it as a gift... mostly b/c I think I'd be embarrassed if the receiver tried to return it and was either not able to b/c the item(s) was so old or received like $1.99 back for items that are normally way more than that.  

Thoughts on this? 

[Poll]

Re: Poll: Do you buy gifts on clearance?

• I guess it kind of depends. For example I have had a TON of baby showers to go to in the last year. Whenever I am out and I see something super cute marked down, like a pack of onesies or cute outfit I grab it. They are great to throw in with with a gift that might need something else to go with.
  • Other.  When I am buying a gift for someone I usually have a set amount I am going to spend.  If I find something on clearance I will get it, but I will also get another gift(s) to get to the amount I am willing to spend. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • afgafg member
    If the item is something that the recipient really wants and it's good quality then what does it matter if it was on clearance?  I don't think price should matter.
  • imagejenna0627:
    I guess it kind of depends. For example I have had a TON of baby showers to go to in the last year. Whenever I am out and I see something super cute marked down, like a pack of onesies or cute outfit I grab it. They are great to throw in with with a gift that might need something else to go with.

I do this.

I always give a good gift off the registry, then pair it with a cute little outfit.

• I can't really think of a specific time I've bought a gift that was on clearance - but I''ve probably done it.  Almost every wedding I've been to lately I get their gift from Bed, Bath and Beyond and use a 20% off coupon... 
  • imageAMYfromKY:
    Other.  When I am buying a gift for someone I usually have a set amount I am going to spend.  If I find something on clearance I will get it, but I will also get another gift(s) to get to the amount I am willing to spend. 

Same here

• imageafg:
    If the item is something that the recipient really wants and it's good quality then what does it matter if it was on clearance?? I don't think price should matter.

This!?

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageAMYfromKY:
    Other.  When I am buying a gift for someone I usually have a set amount I am going to spend.  If I find something on clearance I will get it, but I will also get another gift(s) to get to the amount I am willing to spend. 

Ditto this.  I have a set amount  I am willing to spend when I go to buy gifts.  Clearance items arnt all old and nasty, they can just be discontinued products that are great deals.  I would think it is more rude to return said gift and be upset someone bought something clearance/wasnt as much money as I expected.  I would say the person disappointed should be more embarassed by thier reaction than the person who went out of thier way to get the person of honor a gift that they were able to afford.

My "Irish twins" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

pPROM at 27 weeks, Birdy born at 28 weeks at 2lb 7oz.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageafg:
    If the item is something that the recipient really wants and it's good quality then what does it matter if it was on clearance?  I don't think price should matter.
    this x fafillion. and if anyone ever said anything to me about buying stuff on clearance that they wanted i would tell them they were a snot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I will especially if it means getting a nicer gift than I originally planned because it is on sale or clearance. Or I will get another gift to equal the amount I originally planned on spending

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks for the input! Everything you've all said, I agree as well in all the cases mentioned.  None are quite the situation I was picturing, so I think we're all on the same page.
  • reminds me of a funny story... I use to work at banana Republic. Well this woman came in with a shirt that she said her friend had just given her for her birthday. She didn't have a receipt. The manage remembered the shirt and knew it was not from the current season or even a recent season.The woman insisted it was a new shirt. So he looked up the code and found the season and price. It was from 3 yrs ago and  the current price was $1.99. The woman was mortified.
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageJCM083009:
    Thanks for the input! Everything you've all said, I agree as well in all the cases mentioned.  None are quite the situation I was picturing, so I think we're all on the same page.

If I found something (that they wanted) that usually costs $20 and it was on clearance for $2, I would buy it.  But I wouldn't give them just the $2 gift and pass it off as a $20 gift.  I'd just add in something else with it.

• I do. I buy just about everything on clearance. I'm not going to buy someone something crappy just because its on sale, but I am a good bargain hunter and I can find something that's on sale AND a good gift.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • imagesuscq:

imageJCM083009:
    Thanks for the input! Everything you've all said, I agree as well in all the cases mentioned.  None are quite the situation I was picturing, so I think we're all on the same page.

If I found something (that they wanted) that usually costs $20 and it was on clearance for $2, I would buy it.  But I wouldn't give them just the $2 gift and pass it off as a $20 gift.  I'd just add in something else with it.

Ok this is more what I was talking about! Except the $2 wasn't even something they wanted. I just wanted to see what others thought and if it was okay to do that...like as long as I added to it or whatnot, etc. 

• image2007wife:
    reminds me of a funny story... I use to work at banana Republic. Well this woman came in with a shirt that she said her friend had just given her for her birthday. She didn't have a receipt. The manage remembered the shirt and knew it was not from the current season or even a recent season.The woman insisted it was a new shirt. So he looked up the code and found the season and price. It was from 3 yrs ago and  the current price was $1.99. The woman was mortified.

This.  Exactly.  This is what I'd be afraid of in doing something like this (esp more so with clothes I think). 

• My MIL works in retail and picks up clearance clearance clearance items for us all year long and give them to us for Xmas. I am the proud owner of of a reindeer bar set, moose salt and pepper shakers, and a giant sombrero that you serve chips and dip in. Call me ungrateful but I'd rather her save her money.
  • I wouldn't just find something ugly and give it because it was inexpensive. If something was on clearance that is cute, absolutely I would buy it!

I would think that if a friend got offended for you buying a gift on clearance, they are not my kind of friend. If I give a gift, I try to get something nice. If buying something on clearance allows me to give more than I would have been able to give otherwise, absolutely! I am on a budget here and if they have a problem with my paying $2 for something originally marked for $20, that is their problem and I shouldn't have wasted my friendly gesture on them. 

• Why not? I just bought my mom $640 of her china for $64 today.
  • I am happy with any gift I receive. Especially in this economy. If someone can only afford a $2 gift and they are lucky enough to find something on clearance that meets their budget, why complain.
  • imageAMYfromKY:
    This.
  • imageAMYfromKY:

This exactly!

• If I see an item I know the recipent will like, then yes, I buy it. My best friend has crazy funky tastes - such as a collection of hindu-buddist type statues - and when I find one on clearance I pick it up and stash it for the next gift-event.

Also, small generic gifts (such as bath stuff, nice candles, baby shower type gifts, etc) I will pick up on clearance and save for when I need them. If they're nice quality items it shouldn't matter what I paid - I tend to shop the cleanance bins in expensive stores. :)

• dle927dle927 member

I think if it's a gift that someone would appreciate then yes, and I would also buy something else in addition.

I have friends, however, that buy a bunch of stuff right after Christmas with no regard of who will get what item.  The next Christmas they just start putting like items together and give it to someone.  I hate it!  At least have someone in mind when you purchase something or it's not worth buying. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think it's ok, especially if it's something off of their registry.  Usually if I get a really good deal on something, I'll add it as part of a bigger combination of gifts, to end up spending a reasonable amount.
  • Sometimes if I get something on clearance I won't include a gift receipt (it's my way of saying it's not worth their effort to return it).  I'm not offended if they regift it, though!  I would generally only do this for generic presents (like candles or gift baskets I've put together), or if I know it's something the person has been looking for.  Anything else I would probably avoid getting something on clearance.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"