2nd Trimester

Ibuprofen safe during pregnancy - sometimes??

Disclaimer: I AM NOT A DOCTOR, Talk to your OB before taking anything.

My co-worker is due two weeks after me and we are both pre-pregnancy migraine sufferes. During our pregnancies we have both been suffering from severe headaches and migraines - mostly weather related (since we seemed to have skipped over the spring and summer seasons over here in Canada and landed back in fall).

Anway - her sister is a pharmacist and b/c Tylenol isn't doing a damn thing for either of us (as is the case with a lot of you ladies as well) she started doing some research about Ibuprofen (advil/motrin). Turns out the medical surveys say that it is only relatively unsafe to take Ibuprofen in your first trimester and last 2 weeks of pregnancy.

I am currently skulking around the internet to find more info before I pop an Advil to get rid of the monster in my head - but I thought I would share this info in the meantime as I originally thought it was completely off-limits. For those of you really suffering it's at least worth talking to the OB about at the next appt.

"Great hearts steadily send forth the secret forces that incessantly draw great events." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~ Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Ibuprofen safe during pregnancy - sometimes??

• mooetamooeta member
    Maybe you should take your own advice and talk to you DOCTOR and not just scouring the internet before medicating.  Just a thought.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKimberlyJean:

I am currently skulking around the internet to find more info before I pop an Advil to get rid of the monster in my head - but I thought I would share this info in the meantime as I originally thought it was completely off-limits. For those of you really suffering it's at least worth talking to the OB about at the next appt.

Unless you get approval from your Dr. it IS off limits. I wouldn't be risking my pregnancy based on my internet "research." 

• Loading the player...
  • imagemooeta:
    Maybe you should take your own advice and talk to you DOCTOR and not just scouring the internet before medicating.  Just a thought.

I agree

• imagemooeta:
    THIS!

You may also try drinking a coke, or a strong glass of black tea, the caffine help dialate blood vessels in the brain and gives some relief to headaches.  Much safer than advil, motrin, or asprin.

• LEE_VLEE_V member
    It's not something that I would risk. I would be talking to my doctor about alternate (and safer) options.
  • imagemooeta:

Totally

2 girls and a dog
  • Wow, everyone is so quick to jump on the *** train. Damn, you were just trying to give everyone a heads up.  It's probably b/c you don't care about your baby as much as they do, right :) People need to chill!

Anyway, my dr. told me the same thing.  On occassion, ibuprofen can be taken.  She just said she did not want me taking it in the 3rd trimester due to possible heart issues that it could cause the baby at the end of pregnancy.

Good luck with the headaches, I know how awful they can be!

• At first, my Dr told me it was not safe. Period. Then I did some research which seemed to indicate it might be safe during the 2nd trimester. When I told her about my research, she said that yes, technically, it is safe during the 2nd tri.

She also added it's not like it's safe one day and then the next it's not anymore because you're on to your 3rd tri, so it's hard to tell at what point it actually is safe to take it during pregnancy - that's why she tells her patients to not take it.

If tylenol isn't cutting it for you, talk to your Dr and see what they think.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagemooeta:

Yes

• imagevoelkels:

imagemooeta:
    THIS!

You may also try drinking a coke, or a strong glass of black tea, the caffine help dialate blood vessels in the brain and gives some relief to headaches.  Much safer than advil, motrin, or asprin.

Sorry - I wasn't clear - I too will of course be talking to my OB before I take anything. I was just putting some information out there (that came from a pharmacist - not the internet), and thought I would look up some more info (yes on the internet in the interim before my appt.) so I when I go into the OB I will know what I am relatively talking about. I wouldn't put anything into my body without my OB's okay first - I thought I was clear but after re-reading my post I wasn't.

**Thanks Penny - it was just for info so ppl who are really suffering can talk to thier own OB's.

"Great hearts steadily send forth the secret forces that incessantly draw great events." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~ Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • LEE_VLEE_V member
    imageMonsieur_et_Madame_Ha:

She also added it's not like it's safe one day and then the next it's not anymore because you're on to your 3rd tri, so it's hard to tell at what point it actually is safe to take it during pregnancy - that's why she tells her patients to not take it.

EXACTLY. 

• I really suggest taking your PSA down. Yes, in some EXCEPTIONS it may be okay, but you should never go against the advice of your doctor and most doctors tell you that it is NOT okay.

Ibuprofen is associated with miscarriage in the first tri.  Premature closure of the babies heart valves.Also, an increased risk of heart defects in your baby. The risk factor of Ibuprofin is a catagory B in early pregnancy and moves up to a category D in later pregnancy.

Worth the risk?

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • I have the same issues with migranes, and the only medications that really work are Excedrin Migraine and Excedrin Extra Strength. I've only had a few really bad ones during pregnancy so far, but a few weeks ago I got sick of having a migraine for the second day straight and popped an Excedrin, without even thinking that I shouldn't take it because it's not Tylenol. I mentioned it to my midwife at my appt and she said that was fine, but did encourage me to take Tylenol next time (which doesn't do anything for migraines!).
  • Your OB can prescribe tylenol-3 for really bad headaches.
  • imagekrissyh21:

I really suggest taking your PSA down. Yes, in some EXCEPTIONS it may be okay, but you should never go against the advice of your doctor and most doctors tell you that it is NOT okay.

Ibuprofen is associated with miscarriage in the first tri.  Premature closure of the babies heart valves.Also, an increased risk of heart defects in your baby. The risk factor of Ibuprofin is a catagory B in early pregnancy and moves up to a category D in later pregnancy.

Worth the risk?

In all fairness I never asked anyone to go against anything their doctor has said in fact I was very clear that whoever read my post should talk to thier OB before taking anything. I could understand your response if I was telling everyone to pop them right now - but I am not. I was simply passing along some info that was given to me (by a reputable source) for people to think about and discuss with their doctors. I thought that was the purpose of a message board - to talk about things and pass along info.

• I have to disagree with you that a pharmacist is a "reliable source" when it comes to the health and well being of an unborn fetus.
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Thanks Voelkels - I have them already b/c I found out years ago that I am allergic to the common thread drug in traditional preventative migraine meds (anything ending with "triptan"). So for the last two years I have treated the really bad ones with a prescription muscle relaxant (which is unsafe for pregnancy) or the Tylenol 3s (which my OB okay-ed). They render me useless for work though - so I though when I heard about this, I thought I could talk to my OB and see if it is an alternative that would be acceptable. If not I'll just tough it out I guess. Thought it was worth asking her though.
  • imagekrissyh21:
    I have to disagree with you that a pharmacist is a "reliable source" when it comes to the health and well being of an unborn fetus.

That's fine - that's why I said anyone reading the post should talk to their OB.

• My Dr told me the same thing. I am suffering with insane back pain and she said in 2nd tri until 33 weeks it wasn't a problem. I would def call though before popping one. Hope it helps.
  • My doctor told me I could take it when my hips started hurting during the 2nd trimester.  I think she told me it was off-limits in the 3rd.  But, I've been fine with tylenol, so I haven't taken any.  I don't feel comfortable taking it even though my doctor says it's ok.
    After 2 years and 6 IUIs, we did it with IVF w/ ICSI!
    BFP with no treatment!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Ask your doctor if they can prescribe anything. Mine wrote me a script for Fioricet for migraines and it has worked really well.

• I would talk to your doctor about your migraines they might give you some tylenol with coden. I know I need to cause I get them too and sometimes they are bad! GL to you!
  • imageneonvicki81:

imagemooeta:

I agree

Me too.

• I am not a doctor either, however because of a pre-existing medical condition (I have rheumatoid arthritis) my OB has given me the green light to take Ibuprofen as needed throughout my pregnancy.  However, she has advised that I must stop taking it very early in the 3rd trimester.  Apparently, there is a blood vessel that needs to close off before labor (it goes to the placenta I believe) and Ibuprofen and other OTC pain relievers (except Tylenol) can prevent this from happening.  You do need to stop at the beginning of the 3rd Trimester though because although your due date may be far away, you could in theory go into labor at any time if the baby comes early.  According to my OB she doesn't allow most of her patients to take Ibuprofen etc because they frequently don't adhere to her advice that they stop at the beginning of the 3rd Tri and problems crop up however, due to my medical history and the fact that I have a long relationship with both her and my rheumatologist and have always complied w/ Dr's orders she felt comfortable allowing me to do this.  That said, I would definitely, definitely clear it with your OB before you take anything. 
  • I had a wisdom tooth removed when I was 13 weeks and was told NOT to us Ibuprofen at all by my oral surgeon and OB dr.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagepennyopolis:

Wow, everyone is so quick to jump on the *** train. Damn, you were just trying to give everyone a heads up.  It's probably b/c you don't care about your baby as much as they do, right :) People need to chill!

Anyway, my dr. told me the same thing.  On occassion, ibuprofen can be taken.  She just said she did not want me taking it in the 3rd trimester due to possible heart issues that it could cause the baby at the end of pregnancy.

Good luck with the headaches, I know how awful they can be!

Thank you. My goodness.  

• imagemegs&hops:
    I had a wisdom tooth removed when I was 13 weeks and was told NOT to us Ibuprofen at all by my oral surgeon and OB dr.

You are my new hero for having your wisdom teeth pulled while pregnant! Mine were impacted and it was awful. I don't know how you did it. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

• ablouablou member
    imageandreajersey:

Ask your doctor if they can prescribe anything. Mine wrote me a script for Fioricet for migraines and it has worked really well.

Exactly this!  Fioricet does make me goofy... also, it's an inexpensive prescription... even without insurance, the generic (at Target) is $14. 

• imagemooeta:

i agree, also ask your doctor about taking tylenol with codine (sp?).

Little E born 12.10.09 Little A born 04.19.12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"