Pregnant after a Loss

when was your 1st u/s?

I have heard some say they had the first u/s pretty early, while others had to wait a long time...what's your story?

Oct 2008 m/c #1 5 weeks, May 2009 m/c #2 4w5d. BFP 6/23/09 EDD 3/8/10!
You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face. -Eleanor Roosevelt
After 1 year of TTC#2 BFP May 2011 m/c #3 4w2d. Off to RE.

Round 1: Femara + Ovidrel +TI = BFP! EDD 2/20/12
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
2IF does not always equal 3IF...Surprise!
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: when was your 1st u/s?

• Mine was at like 5 weeks... they thought I was 6 weeks but I O'd late.  So I saw just the sac and yolk. I of course paniced but when we went backa  week later we saw the HB.  In hind-sight I should have asked them to wait a little while longer to send me because that was my instinct.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had one at 5w5d to check for viability, and then another at 5w6d to check for a heartbeat.

Then I had one at 10 weeks because of spotting and on at 15 weeks because of infected gall bladder, and they needed to check that the baby was ok.

I also had my NT scan at 12 weeks and my big u/s at 20 weeks.

I've had quite a few!!

• Loading the player...
  • I did a viability u/s at 5w3d and then a hb check at 7w. ?

Then I didn't have another til 18 weeks and a 3D which will be in about an hour :)?

• We had one at 7w since our previous loss was around then, then another at 9w b/c of SCH (all clear). We saw the HB at both. 
    Missed m/c at 11w 7/08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My first was supposed to be for 8w and I had to reschedule to 10w.  I ended up going twice before that for different emergencies.  Once at 5w6d for extreme pain on my right side and once at 7w1d for spotting. 
    After 2 m/cs, dx October 2008 with hetero factor v leiden & mthfr & low progesterone; third time was the charm - BFP 3/19/09 on first cycle of clomid. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine was at 6 weeks exactly.  With my first BFP, it was at 5w3d because I O'ed late but they insisted, they go by my LMP, so it was early.  We still saw the gestational sac and yolk sac with that pregnancy though.

Good luck today!

• I had 3 early ones....5, 6, and 7 weeks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker *************************************************************************************** Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I believe my first one was around 6w5d. I had another one 2 weeks later with the RE, then graduated to the OB. They did one there at my first appt. which was close to 12 weeks, and then I had my NT scan the next week just past 12 weeks. Next one is July 17th at 20 weeks. GL to you!
  • Mine was at 6 w 1 d. My Dr always does an early 6 week us, but for us she jsut did them more frequesnt to calm our fears.
  • mine was at 6w1d : )  We saw a hb...

We will have an u/s at every appt starting with our 16w appt.

• My first ultrasound was at 7 weeks and then I had a heartbeat check at 10 weeks and my NT scan ultrasound at 12 weeks.
  • my dr would only give me one, it was at 17w 3d.
  • imageCincyRaysb2b:
    my dr would only give me one, it was at 17w 3d.

Who's your doc, just curious since we are from the same city...

Oct 2008 m/c #1 5 weeks, May 2009 m/c #2 4w5d. BFP 6/23/09 EDD 3/8/10!
    You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face. -Eleanor Roosevelt
    After 1 year of TTC#2 BFP May 2011 m/c #3 4w2d. Off to RE.

Round 1: Femara + Ovidrel +TI = BFP! EDD 2/20/12
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    2IF does not always equal 3IF...Surprise!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm pretty sure my first u/s was at 6w6d, and the next was at 8w6d then my NT scan at 11w6d, no u/s at my next appt on tuesday so I guess my next one won't be until 19w6d. I wish they would just make it on an even week number lol. But you already pretty much know my history and know why I was in for a few early u/s'.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1st u/s was 7 wks exactly. I did ivf and my re wanted to make sure everything would be seen at that u/s so he didn't want me to come in earlier than 7 wks.

2nd u/s was the n/t scan at 13 wks 1 day

3rd u/s was 18 wks exactly. The "big" u/s

Not sure when my next one is scheduled.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 6 wks 4 days.

My RE does not believe in doing the first u/s before 6 weeks and a couple days. She waits to give the heart a chance to start beating.   

She finds that u/s in the 5th week just end up stressing the mom out. Even though you logically know you likely won't see a hb, you still hope to see one and then worry when you don't (esp if your u/s is nearer the end of the week).    I agree with her. By waiting I went in, saw a baby, saw a hb, and was happy.

• I had my first one when i was 6 weeks. But i think they only did it that early because we weren't really sure how far along i was, long story.
  • Only because I was sooo sick in the first trimester and had to be hospitalized I got my first one at 6 weeks. It was initially just to see how far I was. The second one, which was the official to check growth and gender, I was 21 weeks. The last one (hospitalized again) came when I was...geez 26-27 weeks. And by his growth, either I'm due earlier than I was told, or he's just growing totally fast!
  • 6 weeks, but only because they thought I was 8 weeks based on my LMP.  After they discovered I was 6 weeks, a second u/s was scheduled for my real 8 week appointment. 
  • I had mine between 11-12 weeks. My doctor wouldn't do it any earlier than that. Honestly not sure there'll be much you could see (or make out at least) if you have it any earlier.
  • 6 weeks, then again at 8 weeks, 12 weeks (NT Scan), 20 weeks (big ultrasound...gender and the checks for everything else.  I don't know when and if we are going to have another one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
  • I had my first at 11 weeks but that was only because I was having pain on my side. ?It was a good thing we went in because we found out it was twins. ?It totally depends on your office, your doctor, and your history. ?My sister had a history of problems and so they do u/s on her much earlier and check her numbers with blood work. ?We conceived naturally and had no problems so I think my first u/s was going to be scheduled later at like 15-18 weeks. ?
  • 7w2d with Sammy

6w5d with Maliyah

• mmsallmmsall member
    9 weeks for first one - second one scheduled for 15 weeks then I will have a third around 26 weeks according to Dr.
  • We had a confirmatory U/S at 7 weeks and then again at 10 wks(high risk with 2 M/C). Our last was at 15 wks and we are scheduled for another at 20 wks to find out the sex. Ask if you want one. The worst they can say is no? :)
  • My first ultrasound with this one was at 7 weeks because they suspected the embryo was forming in my tubes.  My next one was at 13 weeks because they couldn't detect the baby's heartbeat, and then the "official" one as the OB called it was done at 16 weeks.

• I had my 1st one yesterday at 9wks 1day and unless other wise needed I will have the BIG one at 18 wks. Ah, I love my ultra sound picture :)
  • 8 weeks this time, glad I waited so I was sure I would be able to see something.

I also had one a little over 11 weeks for spotting.

• My first OB appt was at 8 weeks and my first u/s was at 9 weeks
  • Well I wish I could have already gotten an ultrasound!!  I'm 13 weeks.  But if you're military & have Tricare, it only covers one at 20 weeks.  So stupid!!  I haven't really asked if I could pay extra for one...but I'd really like to, since I don't think I'm 13 weeks along already!  The only way they'll cover an extra one is if they have a medical reason to. 
  • My first u/s was at 4w5d. It had been 7w2d since my LMP, but I had gotten a negative pregnancy test the week before. Soooo, they wanted to see how far along I was. Then they wanted to make sure there was growth a week later. The heartbeat was present, but slow (63 bpm), so they wanted me to come in for a 3rd u/s two weeks later (heartbeat shot up to 182). So now I'm 10 weeks and have had 3 u/s. At least I have a healthy baby and I'm confident of that!
  • imagefloridabride07:
    I had mine between 11-12 weeks. My doctor wouldn't do it any earlier than that. Honestly not sure there'll be much you could see (or make out at least) if you have it any earlier.

My doctor said we won't have one until around 18-22 weeks.  I was kinda bummed at my first OB appointment yesterday.  I was excited to hear the HB.  I guess at my 12 week appointment is when we will listen for that.

With this being my first pregnancy I feel like I am missing out on seeing and hearing.  Maybe it is an insurance thing, but I don't like it ;-) Ugh!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I my first ultrasound at 11 weeks, for the first trimester screening test. Then another at 20 weeks.
  • I had my first ultrasound yesterday (7/9/09) My OB couldn't hear the H/B on the hand held doppler. He found the H/B by external U/S. It was very cool to see on the tv our little peanut moving its arms and legs. My DS and Sister we there with me. My DS thought it was very cool when my OB handed him the U/S photo. My OB also wanted to check to see if I was carrying twins-nope. Thank goodness! He was able to determine a more acurrate due date as well. I measured 10 wk 1 day (2.9 cm) and the H/B was 190. It has finally sank in that there's a living being growning inside of me!!! Can't wait for my DH to come to my next U/S.

Sharon (aka Jack's mom)

• I'm just turning 12 weeks and my Doctor has moved my appt. back again so I am supposed to see her for the first time next week - AAHH!! I called to make the appointment the day I found out - May 25th. 

No idea yet when the first ultrasound will be but I can't wait - I just want to know everything is okay! 

• Mine was at 8w 1d exactly - I remember I had my first appointment at around 6 or 7 weeks and I was all excited thinking I'd have it that day and was so disappointed! :) This OB I went to I had actually just switched to when I found out I was pregnant - when I called my previous Gyn doc to tell them I needed a first appointment at around 5 weeks, the receptionist told me the doctor "didn't see" pregnant women until 10 weeks. (??) I'm sure there are women out there who don't know a thing about taking prenatal vitamins and what to do and what not to do, and I felt at the very least a nurse should be speaking with women right away and giving them the info on vitamins, nutrition basics, etc.

Anywho, sorry to ramble, but my first was at 8 weeks! It was amazing how much he or she looked like a little person already, and how much the baby was moooving!

• I had my first at 7 weeks and we saw the heartbeat.  We have another at 9 weeks to check for growth and so long as everything goes well my RE will release me to my OB.
  • We had one at 6 weeks to determine a DD.  We had one yesterday for the 20 week check and sex.  She's a girl! And we got to see her in 4D too. Amazing.
  • I am 19 weeks and will have my first US in the 20th week.  Coming up soon!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"