Eco-Friendly Family

BF who let DC self wean

How long did your run last?  Curious because I'm currently debating what I want to do - and I know it varies quite a bit, so not expecting this to give me a date that DS would self wean.  I'm just curious how long others have gone (or are continuing to go).  I have a trip planned, where I'm thinking of leaving DH & DS for several days (yikes - because I'll miss them, not because I think they won't survive) and it would be easiest if I DS was weaned at this point.  Thinking of setting that as my goal - DS would be around 17 months, and that would definitely exceed my original goal (a year).
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BF who let DC self wean

• CelynCelyn member
    DS1 was 22 months, and I was entering my 3rd trimester of pregnancy, which I think was a major factor in his decision to wean.  I think I might have to pry DS2 off in order to send him to college.  I think he nurses more at 17 months than he did as a newborn :)
  • DS self weaned just after his 1st birthday. I was sad, but also glad to have a little more freedom. That and he had 9 teeth by that time :(
  • Loading the player...
  • He weaned just a few days before he turned 1.  I tried everything to get him to continue, but after almost 2 days of refusing to nurse, we went to a sippy and c'est la vie.
  • DS has not yet weaned, but I have a friend who nursed 3 children. Her first two weaned around 15 months. The third one she had to "pry off" at 22 months.
    Mama to D 6.16.08 and C 3.11.10
    Tales of the Wife

imageimage
  • DS weaned early, around 8-9 mos.  At the time I didn't know enough to know that it was a strike Crying  I have guilt over it now :(

DD was just over a year.  I would say that she started around 13 months and just began to lose interest very quickly.  :(  I am so glad we made it past a year though.

• DD self weaned at 17 months  :o)
  • Right around 17 months.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We're still bfing at 18 months.  We're only at 3x a day though.  I would llike to go to 24 months because of his dairy intolerance though. 
    image Ethan 12.31.07 Lillian 4.1.11
  • We did. By shortly after a year, Noel had pretty much cut out all day time feedings and just ate in the morning and before bed. I probably could have gotten him to nurse during the day but he didn't express an interest and I was fine with letting him stop. A month or two later he cut to only before bed or in the middle of the night when he woke up and by 16 months he'd pretty much lost interest in all of it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD is19 mos and still going strong- ~6x/day still. I know a lot of mom's that self wean and their kids nursed until age 3 or older.
  • Thanks for asking this.  I've read so many places that children rarely self-wean before 3 years and, while I'd really like to let DS self-wean, I'm not sure I can make it quite that long.  Of course ask me again when I get him to cut out night feedings and I might have a different answer for you! 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • At 16-17 months we night weaned.  At 19ish months we cut down to 3 times during the day- that was pretty easy bc he was used to not nursing all day at daycare.  Now at 21 months we are down to one side in the am and the other side in the pm, and he is resisting a lot- cutting down further is going to be rough.  I am trying to decide right now between letting him self wean from this point, or forcing the issue so that he is weaned well before baby #2 arrives and thus doesn't associate the baby with stealing his nursies.

Honestly though if you have cut down to 2 or 3 times a day by the time of your trip, I think you will be fine going away for a few days.  There are times DS doesn't nurse bc I am not home and he could care less as long as he doesn't see me.

• DS still nurses about 6 times a day between nap and night time.  I plan on letting him self wean although it may be forced while I'm in the hospital with #2 since if I have a c/s again I'll be there for four days.  I might pump a bit though and have some sort of stash for him to have in his sippy if he really wants it as it gets closer.  But we'll see what happens.  He hasn't weaned yet or changed his nursing habits really.  Except most of his waking nursings are now gone.  I wish it was reversed.  I wish his sleeping nursing were gone and I'd stick with the day time nursing.  I can better aim his latch when he's awake.
  • imageSapphyrEyes:
    DS still nurses about 6 times a day between nap and night time.  I plan on letting him self wean although it may be forced while I'm in the hospital with #2 since if I have a c/s again I'll be there for four days.  I might pump a bit though and have some sort of stash for him to have in his sippy if he really wants it as it gets closer.  But we'll see what happens.  He hasn't weaned yet or changed his nursing habits really.  Except most of his waking nursings are now gone.  I wish it was reversed.  I wish his sleeping nursing were gone and I'd stick with the day time nursing.  I can better aim his latch when he's awake.

My friend just had an emergency c/s with her 2nd and she was away from her 17 month old son for 3 days but he went right back to nursing when she came home.  So she is tandem nursing and he is loving all the milk!

image Ethan 12.31.07 Lillian 4.1.11
  • imageAlirebco:

My friend just had an emergency c/s with her 2nd and she was away from her 17 month old son for 3 days but he went right back to nursing when she came home.  So she is tandem nursing and he is loving all the milk!

This made me smile! :)

DD is still nursing about 5-6x a day. There are times when it would be nice if she didn't, but I love that she still loves it and asks for it (hand down my shirt regardless of where we are!). I am planning to let her go as long as she wants. I jokingly said to DH this morning as I was laying on the couch nursing DD that she'll still be asking to nurse when she's 10! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"