3rd Trimester

Parenting Books?

Has anyone read any good baby or parenting books?  I'm in the mood to learn. lol Please recommend any books that really helped you out.

Re: Parenting Books?

• When i signed up for the Publix Baby Club they sent me a book that is really good actually.  it goes the whole way from pregnancy to 5 years old.. very very good book.. Just go to a publix an register for the baby club an they will send it to you in the mail
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I stuck with the classics. :)

I'm reading What to Expect the First Year. A friend also recommended Going Home with Your Newborn (I believe that is the title).

HTH!

• Loading the player...
  • On the suggestion of the instructors in a couple of my clases, right now I'm reading "Nursing Mother, Working Mother" and "The Happiest Baby on the Block." "NMWM" so far is a little too touchy-feely about how wonderfult it is to breastfeed and how important it is, lad-di-dah -- it's way more convincing than I personally need but I guess the author felt like part of her job was to convince more working mothers that they can and should breast feed. I haven't gotten to any of the practical part yet.

I'm at about the same point with "Happiest" - he has a long discussion of what people have thought causes colic and how they're wrong and then a discussion of his own theory (that basically all babies are born premature because they need to come out before their heads are too big but many lack coping mechanisms). I find this interesting in part because I had colic and am very worried about coping with what my mom lived through. I can't say whether his techniques to calm babies work yet, obviously, but I've heard good things about them.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers image
  • 2-Step2-Step member
    This is my first time, but two of my friends gave me the book On Becoming Baby Wise and told me it really helped them out in the first few months. The book advocates working toward a schedule based on feedings that happen within a set, but flexible time frame, so both you and your baby can know what to expect throughout the day. It is also supposed to help them sleep through the night more quickly. Both of my friends said their babies were on a consistent scheudle and sleeping through the night well before they returned to work at 3 months. The advice in there made sense to me, so we'll see if it works for us!
  • If you are looking for something firmly science based, then I recommend Bright from the Start by Jill Stamm.
  • Everyone has recommended The Happiest Baby on the Block
  • Pregnancy Sucks was good, Belly Laughs was ok. And I just got Your Baby's First Year wk by wk, and really like it
  • Baby 411...a good all around reference.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • lujainlujain member
    I've read and liked The Baby Book by Dr. Sears and Heading Home With Your Newborn:  From Birth to Reality.  Right now I'm reading The Nursing Mother's Companion.
  • Baby 411

The Nursing Mother's Companion

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • image2-Step:
    This is my first time, but two of my friends gave me the book On Becoming Baby Wise and told me it really helped them out in the first few months. The book advocates working toward a schedule based on feedings that happen within a set, but flexible time frame, so both you and your baby can know what to expect throughout the day. It is also supposed to help them sleep through the night more quickly. Both of my friends said their babies were on a consistent scheudle and sleeping through the night well before they returned to work at 3 months. The advice in there made sense to me, so we'll see if it works for us!

A coworker recommended this book to me as well. Hope that it works for us! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"