Babies: 0 - 3 Months

what do you regret about your labor & delivery?

anything? nothing? share!

Re: what do you regret about your labor & delivery?

• my first - I regret letting everyone pressure me into the epi.  I also regret worrying so much about everyone else in the room instead of focusing on myself.

my second - not a thing.  it was perfect!

• I don't regret the planned c-section.  But I regret the fact that I didn't pound it into DH's head that NO ONE should be allowed in the room with the baby til I got there (except DH of course).

My IL's were all in the room holding DS before me.  I was FURIOUS!!!!!

• Loading the player...
  • I wish we had hired a doula.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • An epidural his hr dropped in 1/2.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Not really a regret but just curious as to when I would have gone into labor naturally.  I was induced at 39 weeks 3 days.
  • not locking visitors out. we said no but ILs showed up anyway.
  • To be honest, I think things went as good as I could have possibly expected them to go.  I was induced and contractions came on SUPER fast.  I had an epi and don't regret it.  My entire labor was only ten hours and both DD and I made it through just fine and were healthy.  I count my blessings every day for this!
  • Not getting the Epidural sooner.  I had really bad back labor, and chose to wait until I was crying because I was in so much pain, I should have just gotten it right away. 

Missed m/c 10/25/10 @ 11.5 weeks

• With my first delivery, I regretted having pictocin and an epidural. But 26 hours of labor was no fun for anyone.

With my second delivery, I didn't regret anything per se ... only the aftermath, which had little to do with everything. And having a sick baby made me realize that the delivery didn't matter ... the healthy baby did.

• i should have refused the pitocin and my OBs efforts to "speed" things along. i went with the flow and the flow was too fast.  i don't know if there would have been a different result (fetal distress resulting in c/s) but at least i would know it WASN"T because i was rushed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wish I wouldn't have gotten nubane and just gotten the epi sooner. The nubane just made me feel like I was really drunk and didn't do much for the pain.
  • imageexcitedforlittleone:
    Not really a regret but just curious as to when I would have gone into labor naturally.  I was induced at 39 weeks 3 days.

I agree. I was induced at 36 weeks.. but Dr thought there could be a problem since neither L or I grew in a month.. Surprise

Everything went perfectly tho and she was perfect!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Regret is too strong a word...it wasn't a bad experience, but because I was induced, I was tied to the IV, which was horrid, and didn't have much mobility.  That stunk and made it hard to deal with contractions in any real way (which were horrid because of the Pit anyway!).
  • imageNY-allie:
    Not getting the Epidural sooner.? I had really bad back labor, and chose to wait until I was crying because I was in so much pain, I should have just gotten it right away.?

?

ooooooh this too.?

• L&D- Taking the epi. It made my blood pressure crash super low. I think that's what caused Shane to go into distress, not the pitocin. I don't regret the c-section, I just wish I had the opportunity to choose it first instead of using it as a last resort after 30 hours of labor.

Recovery- having so many people at the hospital to see the baby. I got no rest for three days and I didn't really get a chance to snugle DS because so many people were passing him around. If there is a next time, everyone can wait until I get home to come and see him.

• That I didn't get an epi BEFORE my water broke. My contractions were like 50,000x worse!
  • I regret not getting to the hospital sooner!  Not having time to get an epi sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I wish I'd not allowed that first intervention--the OB breaking my waters.  Prior to that, I was having an amazingly smooth HypnoBirthing birth and after that, the $hit hit the fan.  DS shifted positions and got stuck and I wound up pushing for 7 hours and eventually had a spinal and forceps delivery.

I feel like that first intervention was the beginning of all of the others!

• I don't know that I really have any regrets about labor...I wanted to go natural, but they had to give me pitocin because I had high blood pressure.  I'm glad that I got the epi because he was a big baby (9 lb, 7 oz) and I'm small.

My only real regret about anything to do with motherhood (so far) is that I didn't stick with nursing.

• Being induced, even though I was pushing 42 weeks. I think that if my body had been "allowed" to go into labor naturally, I would not have ended up with a c-section.
  • Getting the epidural, I wasn't in pain, I only got it because I was scared of what was going to come.  Then it wasn't in the right spot anyway because I couldn't tell the doc if I was still in pain or not.  Whoops.

Also the vacuum, I always think I could have pushed just a little harder...

• I wish DH took more pictures. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I regret that I had no labor and an emergency c-section. ?But I had no control over it obviously, and DS might have died otherwise, so all in all I'd say I have no regrets.
  • Not getting the epi sooner and forgetting to take a last belly pic.

• I wish I would have toughed it out and not caved on the epi so fast. I had like 2 bad contractions and gave in. I also wished I would not have eaten that italian ice right before I needed to push. Puking it back up = not so fun.

Braydon 1.23.09
    Weston 3.24.11
    EDD 5.26.14
  • Honestly, nothing.  I couldn't have planned the birth better if I'd tried and I feel very lucky that everything went smoothly and I was able to have my med free birth. 

I also feel like even if something had gone wrong I wouldn't have regretted it because I did everything I could to set myself up for the kind of birth I wanted, and had accepted that sometimes things happen that are outside your control. 

imageimage 
  • imagesouthernsweetie08:
    To be honest, I think things went as good as I could have possibly expected them to go.  I was induced and contractions came on SUPER fast.  I had an epi and don't regret it.  My entire labor was only ten hours and both DD and I made it through just fine and were healthy.  I count my blessings every day for this!

This, except my labor was only 5.5 hours!

• DD #1 - too many people in the room. not that i cared, but it wouldve been nice with just DH.

twins - not breast feeding earlier. not that it was exactly my fault. I blame my body more. Stupid blood clots in uterus.

• That I had to have a scheduled c/s because DS turned breech 5 days before my EDD.  I felt 3 contractions and not another "labor and delivery" related pain.  Also, after DS was born, the doctor didn't hold DS up over the curtain for me to see.  That being said, I had a great c/s experience and recovery.
  • Overall things were great. DH and I went in with a go with the flow attitude, but there were certain things (like vacuum) that we knew we didn't want to do. My one thing was that even though I'd told my parents we didn't want anyone in L&D they didn't understand and took it as during labor. My mom was in my room for at least two hours and I never caught the nap I wanted post epi. DH was really annoyed, so part of my time was a little tense.
  • imageevenstar622:

I don't regret the planned c-section.  But I regret the fact that I didn't pound it into DH's head that NO ONE should be allowed in the room with the baby til I got there (except DH of course).

I only had two days notice for my c/s, but in those two days, I must have told DH a million times that I didn't want anyone other them him to see or hold DS before me.  Turned out I had nothing to worry about.  Once I was put on the gurney, the nurse handed me DS and I held him as I was wheeled out of the OR.

• Nothing. I feel very lucky to have had a pretty good labor & delivery. I hate that we had to use a vacuum to get DD out, but I don't regret it...she was getting tired so it was what was best (and avoided a c-section).
  • imageevenstar622:

I don't regret the planned c-section.  But I regret the fact that I didn't pound it into DH's head that NO ONE should be allowed in the room with the baby til I got there (except DH of course).

I'm very glad I was lurking here today and read this.  Because I just made it crystal clear that if I had to have a c-section that only FI gets to hold the baby before me!!! Thank you!  (I would of been furious too...to say the least)

• Honestly. Not much, my c/s was a great experience. I wish I would have remembered to pin my bangs back though before pictures began, lol. I looked like hell afterwards!
  • I don't regret anything amazingly!  I thought mine went super smooth for a first kid and was more than happy with the nurse and my wonderful DH helping coach me.  I am glad I made it thru it without drugs and would probably do it exactly the same way again. 
  • My only regret is that I wish I was more firm when I believed that K was stuck inside me; not sure why I knew it but I did within thirty minutes of pushing yet I continued on for a total of three hours. Ended up with an emergency c. Poor K ended up in the pedi ward because of the cuts to her head and severe bruising from all that pushing.
  • imageSpringPeeper:
    I don't regret anything, but I kind of wonder what would have happened if I didn't start pushing right away and labored down a bit. At that point I just wanted her out, so I did what the nurse told me!

This!  I was 10cm, but she was still +1 station (I think that's what it was... whichever is higher + or -).   I always wonder if I would have labored down instead of trying to push right away if I wouldn't have ended up pushing for 6 hours and then ending up with a c-section.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was given some sort of medication (not sure what) to take away the urge to push for a few minutes b/c my doctor was doing an emergency c-section for someone else. Either they gave me too much or I had a bad reaction to it because I still couldn't feel anything for 2 hours later. They ended up having to completely take me off my epidural so I went from feeling nothing to feeling everything. Not cool. I'm VERY glad my doctor was there to deliver her, but I hated what happened.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"