3rd Trimester

Frozen meals

HI everyone,

Does anyone know of any foods that can be cooked ahead of time and frozen? I thought there was someone on here that had some recipes. Thanks!

Re: Frozen meals

• lasagna, spahetti, this is all I know...
    My beautiful redhead Lily Anne (3.5yrs)
  • Pretty much anything casserole-ish.
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh great question!  I have been baking banana bread and now just made rhubarb bread today...I figured I would bake those and freeze then; at least it would be SOMETHING to take out of the freezer to munch on once the baby comes.  I need to start making some actual "real" meals though!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm making lasagna, macaroni casserole, tuna casserole and hash brown casserole. I'm not doing a whole lot of freezer meals, though. Just enough for 8 days.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • imagemusicteacher84:
    Oh great question!  I have been baking banana bread and now just made rhubarb bread today...I figured I would bake those and freeze then; at least it would be SOMETHING to take out of the freezer to munch on once the baby comes.  I need to start making some actual "real" meals though!

Yum, I love rhubarb! Do you have the recipe for the bread? I've never tried it, but it sounds delicious!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • At the risk of sounding snarky (not my intent), the list of what you can't freeze is actually shorter.

But, my favorite freezables are things like baked goods, any sauces, soups, or casseroles, meatballs, meatloaf, enchiladas, homemade frozen burritos (which can end up being so much cheaper/tastier/healthier than storebought), etc.

To save myself some effort, sometimes I make a combo of jalapenos, cilantro, lime (juice, sometimes zest if I'm feeling motivated), and onion that I've tossed in the food processor and freeze it into an ice cube tray and then put in a resealable plastic bag in the freezer. Then anytime you have a spare couple of tomatoes, all you have to do is pop a cube in the microwave for maybe a minute, dice the tomatoes, and toss it all together for a very quick and tasty salsa without all the preservatives and excess sodium and crap you get in the jar salsa. (Though I must admit I am a salt junkie and tend to add a lot on my own, haha.)

• Meatloaf! Buy some aluminum loaf pans and make half a dozen. I always make a few at a time, cause it's easier to do them all in a batch, and they stay good for six months if you cover them right.
  • lkichlkich member
    Taco meat and soups are great frozen leftovers.
  • A quick google search will provide tons of recipes.

So far I've made 2 of each the following:

- Chili
    - Lasagna
    - Meatloaf
    - Chicken/Broccoli casserole
    - Hash brown casserole
    - Caesar chicken casserole

Banana bread and cookie dough are next on my list. I'm probably done with the actual meals now because I can throw things together with my crockpot very easily. I'll stick to getting the freezer stocked with sweets from here on out.

• MA&CBMA&CB member
    I've been planning my meals around things I can freeze - so I make a double batch, half for dinner and half for the freezer, so it doesn't seem like extra work.  So far I have mini meatloaves, homemade meatballs in marinara, chicken spaghetti casserole, spice rubbed pork chops, marinaded chicken, and enchiladas.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm going to make several kinds of casseroles, too.  I'm also going to have ground beef already browned and seperated for spaghetti meat sauce and tacos.  I'll have some other unseasoned, so I can just toss it in something if I get desperate!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Here's what I've got so far:

-lots of pasta meals

-sauces with either tofu or chicken (DH is a veg, I'm not) that I can throw on top of quick-cook rice

-frozen quiche

-frozen pesto for quick-cook pasta

-chili, soup, anything with a sauce that reheats well

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"