1st Trimester

This *really* irritates me...

Flame me if you want, but...

I really don't understand why some people proudly proclaim, "I'll eat sushi if I want," or "I am NOT giving up my hot dogs!" or even, "I had two glasses of wine yesterday" as though they are just rebels.

How selfish can you be?  Even if there is a tiny risk...a tiny one, that what you're doing could cause harm to your baby, why are you doing it?  Obviously you care enough about your pregnancy to be on a message board discussing it, trying to learn more about your pregnancy, etcetera... how can you not care enough to just freaking skip the hot dog on the off-chance it might do some harm?

Re: This *really* irritates me...

• Do not leave your house then.  Walking down the road there is a risk your ass will get ran over.  Driving a car, there is the risk you will be an accident and die.  Get over it, it is not your ute or fetus.
  • We're here for love and support, so I try not to judge anyone!!!! ((((((((hugz!!!!!!!))))))))
  • Loading the player...
  • I totally agree with you--I'm trying to explain to DH except I think he feels I'm being overly protective.  But I agree, I'm not eating ANYTHING or doing anything that could possibly harm my baby in any way.  That's why i'm basically giving up decaf coffee, even though the doc says it's okay, I just don't think any caffinene in my system is good if I can help it!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think it's a very selfish attitude to say, "Well, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow," and then to use that as your excuse to indulge yourself on things that could potentially harm your fetus.
  • imageMommyMar2010:

I totally agree with you--I'm trying to explain to DH except I think he feels I'm being overly protective.  But I agree, I'm not eating ANYTHING or doing anything that could possibly harm my baby in any way.  That's why i'm basically giving up decaf coffee, even though the doc says it's okay, I just don't think any caffinene in my system is good if I can help it!!

I thought the same thing until I was admitted at 24 weeks for caffiene withdrawals. And I wasnt even a heavy caffiene drinker.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I agree with you!! We had a really hard time getting pregnant and now that we are I can't imagine doing anything to hurt our baby!
  • epphdepphd member

Because forgoing hotdogs for nine months won't make you or your baby any healthier than having one once in a while.  There is no documented evidence that a completely cooked hotdog will harm a fetus.

The same is true for well prepared sushi or an occasional glass of wine. You can invent a tiny risk for any activity or food item you consume - I'm sure that even broccoli has some miniscule risk. Buying into phobias is counterproductive.  It if makes you feel virtuous then go for it, but I don't intend to life in fear for 9 months.  I plan to make smart choices, listen to my doctor, and avoid established risk, but not give into the paranoia that bubbles up from  message boards or google.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • I'm trying to avoid everything I'm not supposed to have.

What is wrong with hot dogs?  The one I just ate was an all-beef and it was the first one I've had in a long time.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't understand why some people proudly proclaim how they are so PROUD of themselves for abstaining from everything. Lighten up. If I eat a effing hot dog then I will deal with the consequences.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • gee what did we do before the docs ever said that there was a risk of this before hand. I think people ate crap/drank crap before and most kids turned out fine. If it's in moderation and if the doctor doesnt see any potential harm why not? Who are you to judge? Do you judge those who elect to have c-sections because they dont want to mess up their vagina or do you judge those who want an epi because "that's selfish to not want to experience pain and you kid will be drugged up" I say bullshit to you lady. you "really" irritate me for even posting this to judge others for doing what they chose. Not your kid not your choice. and personally I dont think eating my hotdogs last night for supper was selfish when that was what the BABY was making me want. Fukc off.
  • imageepphd:

Because forgoing hotdogs for nine months won't make you or your baby any healthier than having one once in a while.  There is no documented evidence that a completely cooked hotdog will harm a fetus.

The same is true for well prepared sushi or an occasional glass of wine. You can invent a tiny risk for any activity or foord item you consume - I'm sure that even broccoli has some miniscule risk. Buying into phobias is counterproductive.  It if makes you feel virtuous then go for it, but I don't intend to life in fear for 9 months.  I plan to make smart choices, listen to my doctor, and avoid established risk, but not give into the paranoia that bubbles up from  message boards or google.

This.

I hope you are only eating organic food. Who knows what effect the fertilizers, pesticides, antibiotics, and horomones in your food might have on your fetus. Oh, and cook all your fruits and veggies. You don't want to risk getting e-coli. You should probably stop going out to eat too. You could always get e-coli or Hep A if someone in the kitchen doesn't wash his hands. I hope you are not sleeping on your back. It restricts bloodflow and could harm the baby. Stress is no good either, so you probably shouldn't get worked up about what other people choose to eat for lunch.

• Woah.  Watch the language... I don't think that was necessary.  I was simply expressing an opinion but wasn't personally attacking *anyone*.  Totally uncalled for.
  • To each thier own I say. Why pass judgement on someone else for what they choose. For one everyone docs has different opinions on certain things. And two the first time around some people tend to be overly protective. I personally do eat sushi long as if it has been steamed, hot dogs are okay to me ( I have never heard of them not being okay). And a glass of wine every now and then is okay too. These days you run a risk with anything you do hell everyday a new food is being recalled. I have seen women who smoked and drank there whole pregnancy and the kid was healthy as could be then I know of others who took every precaution and the baby wasnt so healthy. What is supposed to happen will happen. To each thier own that person will have live with thier decisons not you.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Because I do not believe that risk poses a threat.  We are going to fundamentally disagree on this, I think.

There are many things that do pose a legitimate threat, and I chose to avoid some of those. 

But I still drive to work everyday on dangerous highways.  I still choose to drink diet sodas or caffeinated beverages.

The risks on many of these things are so infinitesimal that I think it is ludicrous to put my life on hold for them.  I like rare meat.  I'll continue to eat it.  I think the hyper-awareness and freakouts over miniscule risks is hurting us, frankly.  

It is not possible to freak out over everything.  And I think it's silly and a waste of energy to care what women who are essentially taking good care of themselves and are healthy are doing when it comes to lunchmeat, ffs.

Care about the women engaging in TRULY risky behavior.  I don't have the energy or paranoia to fret over every single thing.  The fact of the matter is that you blame yourself when you have a loss, no matter what.  And having been through that a few times, I'm too busy worrying about bigger things than freaking medium meat.  And God knows there would be whole DAYS where I ate nothing but saltines if I avoided turkey sandwiches because of a miniscule chance of listeria.  

I just can't get all that worked up over something I don't agree is a real risk.  You think it, you do what is best for you and I won't judge that.  That's all I ask in return.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• Also... your baby doesn't "make you" want hot dogs...
  • Everyone is not going to stick to their diet even if they dont admit it. If thats what you're craving or the only thing around when you need to eat then go ahead & have a hot dog or something that may not be that healthy but its good for you to eat anyway or else you'll pass out. Eat what you have to eat, its not all about being 100% healthy because no one is.
  • imageeasjer05:

Because I do not believe that risk poses a threat.  We are going to fundamentally disagree on this, I think.

There are many things that do pose a legitimate threat, and I chose to avoid some of those. 

But I still drive to work everyday on dangerous highways.  I still choose to drink diet sodas or caffeinated beverages.

The risks on many of these things are so infinitesimal that I think it is ludicrous to put my life on hold for them.  I like rare meat.  I'll continue to eat it.  I think the hyper-awareness and freakouts over miniscule risks is hurting us, frankly.  

It is not possible to freak out over everything.  And I think it's silly and a waste of energy to care what women who are essentially taking good care of themselves and are healthy are doing when it comes to lunchmeat, ffs.

Care about the women engaging in TRULY risky behavior.  I don't have the energy or paranoia to fret over every single thing.  The fact of the matter is that you blame yourself when you have a loss, no matter what.  And having been through that a few times, I'm too busy worrying about bigger things than freaking medium meat.  And God knows there would be whole DAYS where I ate nothing but saltines if I avoided turkey sandwiches because of a miniscule chance of listeria.  

I just can't get all that worked up over something I don't agree is a real risk.  You think it, you do what is best for you and I won't judge that.  That's all I ask in return.

Very well said

• imagekimbarnes83:
    Also... your baby doesn't "make you" want hot dogs...

makes me crave things. can I say that?

no baby=no craving?

• imagekimbarnes83:

I thought it was called a craving

• cooked sushi = ok

cooked until steaming hot dogs = ok

There are risks with many, many foods, activities, etc. Practically everything out there. It's true that just because you could get in a car accident or hit by a bus walking down the street you shouldn't justify doing harmful things to yourself and your baby, but there are some serious misconceptions out there about what you should and shouldn't have. For the record, you can get foodborne illnesses from pretty much anything out there, does that mean you're not going to eat at all? There are precautions you take (cooking thoroughly, washing thoroughly), but that still doesn't stop everything.

Basically, being pregnant doesn't mean you have to completely cut out lunch meat, hot dogs, fish, etc. But yes, you should take the proper precautions. Doing that doesn't make you selfish.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • epphdepphd member

imagekimbarnes83:

Riiiight - just like your baby doesn't make you vomit.  of course it does.  the hormones produced by pregnancy change both your food cravings and aversions.  This is an actual fact, unlike the assertion that hotdogs are dangerous Confused

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Eating the occasional hot dog or sushi roll (which, BTW, there are many options that don't have raw fish!), or even having half a glass of wine every now and then is NOTHING like smoking through the pregnancy (which many of our mothers did, including mine) or drinking every couple of days.

IMHO, eating all you want all the time is as bad as avoiding all the *potentially* wrong foods and actions. If your doctor says you can *occasionally* eat whatever, why not? You're pregnant, but you can still enjoy life and the stuff!

Personally, I took a sip of wine and hated the taste, haven't had coffee in years, but, damnit,  I will have a hot dog when we go to a baseball game!

• imageepphd:

imagekimbarnes83:

Riiiight - just like your baby doesn't make you vomit.  of course it does.  the hormones produced by pregnancy change both your food cravings and aversions.  This is an actual fact, unlike the assertion that hotdogs are dangerous Confused

Haahaa! I like this!

• imageach99:

I don't understand why some people proudly proclaim how they are so PROUD of themselves for abstaining from everything. Lighten up. If I eat a effing hot dog then I will deal with the consequences.

This times 3216542306731321. Perfect Yes

• Honestly, I'm really annoyed now.

I did everything right, and lost my baby and still blamed myself.  This time I'm being more realistic.

You want to discuss something real, let's talk about smoking in pregnancy, or alcohol abuse in pregnancy (and I am not talking about half a glass of wine after first tri).  Let's talk about extreme sports or shooting up heroin.

It is ridiculous to judge others for taking an educated look at things and deciding the risk level to themselves or their fetus is too small.

And seriously, whoever mentioned organic, farm-raised foods is right on.

Do you eat pre-packaged meals?  Those are high in sodium and nitrates and lower in nutrition.  Do you eat junk food ever?  Really bad for you nutritionally and because of the preservatives.  

It is unrealistic to expect to live your life that way. If you want to make that effort, rock out.  But to judge me because I am making rational educated decisions after researching on my own and discussing with my healthcare provider?  Eff off.

My Blog

• It *really* irritates me that women judge other women about their personal choices.
  • Do you want a mommy medal for turning down hot dogs and coffee?  LOL get over yourself.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageepphd:

The same is true for well prepared sushi or an occasional glass of wine. You can invent a tiny risk for any activity or food item you consume - I'm sure that even broccoli has some miniscule risk. Buying into phobias is counterproductive.  It if makes you feel virtuous then go for it, but I don't intend to life in fear for 9 months.  I plan to make smart choices, listen to my doctor, and avoid established risk, but not give into the paranoia that bubbles up from  message boards or google.

Thank you! I with you on this one!

• imageeasjer05:

Honestly, I'm really annoyed now.

I did everything right, and lost my baby and still blamed myself.  This time I'm being more realistic.

You want to discuss something real, let's talk about smoking in pregnancy, or alcohol abuse in pregnancy (and I am not talking about half a glass of wine after first tri).  Let's talk about extreme sports or shooting up heroin.

It is ridiculous to judge others for taking an educated look at things and deciding the risk level to themselves or their fetus is too small.

And seriously, whoever mentioned organic, farm-raised foods is right on.

Do you eat pre-packaged meals?  Those are high in sodium and nitrates and lower in nutrition.  Do you eat junk food ever?  Really bad for you nutritionally and because of the preservatives.  

It is unrealistic to expect to live your life that way. If you want to make that effort, rock out.  But to judge me because I am making rational educated decisions after researching on my own and discussing with my healthcare provider?  Eff off.

Wooo this was beautifully put!!

• imageeasjer05:

Because I do not believe that risk poses a threat.  We are going to fundamentally disagree on this, I think.

i definately agree

• imageepphd:

imagekimbarnes83:

This - even better! YesYes

• If my baby "makes me" want a McDonald's cheeseburger for lunch once a week, it doesn't mean it's a good idea to partake.
  • imageB!tchBeckman:
    gee what did we do before the docs ever said that there was a risk of this before hand. I think people ate crap/drank crap before and most kids turned out fine. If it's in moderation and if the doctor doesnt see any potential harm why not? Who are you to judge? Do you judge those who elect to have c-sections because they dont want to mess up their vagina or do you judge those who want an epi because "that's selfish to not want to experience pain and you kid will be drugged up" I say bullshit to you lady. you "really" irritate me for even posting this to judge others for doing what they chose. Not your kid not your choice. and personally I dont think eating my hotdogs last night for supper was selfish when that was what the BABY was making me want. Fukc off.

I agree 100% Thank you for saying everything I was thinking!

• I'm sorry it irritates you.  I'm an adult and I'll weigh the risks and benefits and make decisions with the input of my doctor.  I had a trip planned to Napa with my mom.  We were in Napa, of course I went wine tasting!  I tasted.  I drank less than a glass and a half total, that's acceptable to ME.
  • Babies have been being born for thousands of years without millions of rules and restrictions! If my doctor says its safe to eat sushi from a reputable place with in limits of 6 oz at a time not to exceed 12 oz a week, then I really don't care if you get your e-feelings hurt because I don't agree with you!

I would never do anything intentional to hurt my baby but I am not going to be paranoid for the next several months and then again for the next 18 years. Whats meant to be will be!

• imagekimbarnes83:
    If my baby "makes me" want a McDonald's cheeseburger for lunch once a week, it doesn't mean it's a good idea to partake.

personal choice and KUDOS to you if that works for you.

In this pregnancy the baby isnt happy until I satisfy the flucking craving its making me want. If The baby wants a big mac I am sick with everything else that I eat until I satisfy what I am really craving. Yea I make the call, but I feel better after doing so.

• And btw, so it is clear, MW wasn't saying you should indulge in poor nutritional choices because you might get hit by a car or bus.

She was saying your risk of getting hit by a car or bus is statistically WAY HIGHER than contracting listeriosis from lunchmeat or a food-bourne illness from a rare steak.

Are you staying at home all day, or are you walking outside your house?  For that matter, home accidents are a leading cause of injury, so you probably aren't safe in your home, certainly not your bathroom.

But you go in your bathroom and you take a shower because you deem it an adequate risk to take.  You leave your home and drive in cars because it is adequate risk to take.

And yet, those risks are far more likely to cause harm to you and your baby than eating a flipping hot dog.  It's called putting things in perspective and for the life of me, I don't know why so many pregnant women lose the ability to do this.

My Blog

• imageBcbscorp:

Babies have been being born for thousands of years without millions of rules and restrictions! If my doctor says its safe to eat sushi from a reputable place with in limits of 6 oz at a time not to exceed 12 oz a week, then I really don't care if you get your e-feelings hurt because I don't agree with you!

I would never do anything intentional to hurt my baby but I am not going to be paranoid for the next several months and then again for the next 18 years. Whats meant to be will be!

PERFECT! Yes

• epphdepphd member

imagekimbarnes83:
    If my baby "makes me" want a McDonald's cheeseburger for lunch once a week, it doesn't mean it's a good idea to partake.

Man you are desperate for some validation, huh?

Here's a cookie.  You better not eat it though - the chocolate chips have caffeine and your baby might DIE if you eat it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"