3rd Trimester

Sterilizing bottles...

I bought the Dr Brown's sterilizer for my bottles and was just wondering how often you all plan to sterilize? Is it after every washing or just like once a week? I have the basket to wash all the little pieces in the dishwasher too.

I'm wondering if the sterilizer was even nessecary? You can't just wash the items in hot soapy water to get them sterile? Confused I guess..

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sterilizing bottles...

• I boiled all parts the very first time, then I just washed them in the dish washer after every use. I never used a sterilizer w/ DD.
  • I think we used a sterilizer in the beginning. But we ended up just washing them in the dishwasher. They were washed by hand in hot soapy water often too but always in the dishwasher at the end of the day.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been told that the sterilizers are a waste of money.  I plan on just sterilizing the bottles once in the dishwasher and that's it.  If this is wrong, I hope someone tells me : )
  • imageJMRoberts:
    I boiled all parts the very first time, then I just washed them in the dish washer after every use.

Yes I was just coming back to add that you do need to boil the parts before the first use. We always did that.

• Our plan is to wash them in the dishwasher. It works well enough for our dishes.

ETA: That's the plan since we've already boiled them (as the directions advise you to do).
  • imageJMRoberts:
    I boiled all parts the very first time, then I just washed them in the dish washer after every use. I never used a sterilizer w/ DD.

::Butting in from 2nd tri::

I did this too.

• I always sterilize before the first use. After that I just wash them in the sink apart from the regular dishes. I sterilize them if the baby gets sick. 
  • mama31mama31 member
    I used the dishwasher the first time and wash them in hot soapy water most of the time.  Sometimes they go in the dishwasher.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • sam19sam19 member
    Boil them when I first get them and then just make sure I use hot water whenever washing them after that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
  • What do you boil? Just the nipples for the bottle?

• The are good to have after baby is sick, especially like in strep throat.We sterilized DD's bottles once a week because even though the dishwasher gets hot it still leaves bacteria on there that only sterilizing can get rid of.

We used our for small toys and teethers too, things that you have to clean often.

I find it comes in handy a lot but maybe Im the only one.

• i only sterilized once. when we first got everything i did it and from them on i just hand rinse then soak in warm soapy water then rinse
  • imageJMRoberts:
    I boiled all parts the very first time, then I just washed them in the dish washer after every use. I never used a sterilizer w/ DD.
  • imageJMRoberts:
  • imageJMRoberts:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"