Babies: 0 - 3 Months

hep B shot at birth?

My doc is in favor of delayed immunizations, and is very up-to-date on what is given to baby at birth.. However, I mentioned the hepatitis B immunization typically given at birth or 2 months and he replied with "only those who test positive for hepatitis should their baby receive the shot" . .

That is NOT what I am reading online here. .

What was all your experiences with this?

Re: hep B shot at birth?

• DD got hep B shot at 2 months.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS got the Hep B shot at birth, and I believe it is standard policy for *most* hospitals.  I definitely don't have Hepatitis B and I don't know anyone who does, but their children still got the vaccines.  I would do your own research. 
  • Loading the player...
  • ds got hep b at birth and 2 mo.
  • JCMJCM member
    DD will be getting her Hep B at her 1 month appt.
  • have you read the vaccine book by dr sears? it gives an alternative vaccination schedule that we are following....2 vaccines (only one containing aluminum at a time) per visit..you see dr every month..shot only visits every other month. we gave hep b shot at birth since it has low reaction rate and DD didnt get jaundiced at all from itk, just minimal jaundice from birth..get the book its a plethura of information on the vaccines,whats in them, what they do, how they work, when they are given and their side effects and his view on why/whynot they are important
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We could choose at birth or starting at 2 months. I saw no reason to give it right at birth. The baby is so tiny at that point, and it's not like she was going to pick up Hep B somewhere. I'm all for vaccines, but we decided to delay Hep B even beyond 2 mos. just so DD wasn't getting so much aluminum all at once. My doctor said we could just work it in later. Looks like we'll do it starting at 9 mos.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageNicoleWI:
    We could choose at birth or starting at 2 months. I saw no reason to give it right at birth. The baby is so tiny at that point, and it's not like she was going to pick up Hep B somewhere. I'm all for vaccines, but we decided to delay Hep B even beyond 2 mos. just so DD wasn't getting so much aluminum all at once. My doctor said we could just work it in later. Looks like we'll do it starting at 9 mos.

same here 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagehoundbaby:
    ds got hep b at birth and 2 mo.

same for me

• We thought we were going to do a delayed immunization when she was born and then changed our minds because there isn't much research into it that I could find.  DD didn't get it in the hospital and I had to sign a form that I didn't want to get it and understood the risks.  She ended up starting it at the 2 month appt.
  • She won't be getting that for a while - it's mainly a sexually transmitted disease (unless you are Hep B +, in which case absolutely look into what needs to be done) and she is not currently sexually active. AAP wants to give it to babies because they know that it's more difficult to give shots to older children. I don't care.?
  • imageMarriedBestFriends:
    She won't be getting that for a while - it's mainly a sexually transmitted disease (unless you are Hep B +, in which case absolutely look into what needs to be done) and she is not currently sexually active. AAP wants to give it to babies because they know that it's more difficult to give shots to older children. I don't care.

Same for us. I saw no reason for my kid to get this vaccine right now. We're delaying it until he's around 2 - will def get it before starting school.

• imageJimsBride08:
    DS got the Hep B shot at birth, and I believe it is standard policy for *most* hospitals.  I definitely don't have Hepatitis B and I don't know anyone who does, but their children still got the vaccines.  I would do your own research. 

This...and at 2 months.

View Full Size Imageimage 

View Full Size ImageLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

View Full Size ImageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

View Full Size Image View Full Size Image  

• My ped reccommended waiting til 2 mos since there is so much going on while in hospital and there isnt really a risk before then and i trust him.  We are following the regular sched - just starting hep b at 2 mos.
  • DD got it at birth and 2 months also.
  • mine daughter got her's at birth and at 2 months.

getting the hep b vaccination also depends on what happens during the delivery, as well. i had no choice but to get her hep b vaccination, when she was born because i had been tested group strep b positive. it's just a  pro-caution.

• imageMarriedBestFriends:
    She won't be getting that for a while - it's mainly a sexually transmitted disease (unless you are Hep B +, in which case absolutely look into what needs to be done) and she is not currently sexually active. AAP wants to give it to babies because they know that it's more difficult to give shots to older children. I don't care.

?

Same here.

• My doctor recommended that he only recieve the hep shot at birth if positive. It's a three step shot and the doc said that giving it at birth doesn't count as one of the three. We could still get it if we wanted him to but the doc said that it's basically putting another shot in that he wouldn't need. If he got the shot at birth the other shots would have to be altered to account for the shot. When it's something that isn't needed at birth, he said don't get it.

We got the first shot at 2 mos.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"