3rd Trimester

Rear facing in the front seat WWYD?

We need to buy a new vehicle and DH wants a truck. Long story short, the truck he wants would require LO to be in the front seat as long as he is in his rear-facing seat because the back seat isn't big enough. It is very easy to turn off the airbag, so I know we would have to do that. I can't find anything that says it is unsafe for LO to be in front, as long as the airbag is off. Anyone have any more information on this in either direction? DH claims it is just as safe, but I thought I remembered hearing that front seats should only be used as a last resort?

Re: Rear facing in the front seat WWYD?

• There's no way I'd be ok with that. I'd tell DH to pick something else or if he absolutely needs a truck for work purposes, it would be for work only and the baby would never be in that vehicle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would never do this... ever. I dont care if people say it's safe or not... I would never put my newborn in the from of a vehicle.
  • Loading the player...
  • No way. ?He needs to put your child's safety first and choose another vehicle.
  • I agree with all prev posters! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • the big question is, does the truck have the ability to turn off the passenger airbag?....to be honest, the air bag is the biggest reason the front seat is unsafe for children under a certain height whether in carseats or boosters.

Now...I personally would tell him to get a different vehicle, but that is the safety expert question.

• Tell him to get a pick up with a crew cab. That is what my DH did.
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • I'm sure if you have checked but it is a law where I live that the rear or front facing carseat must be in the back seat if there is one.
  • I wouldn't do it.  I would tell DH to pick a different vehicle. 
  • Ditto to previous posters. There is no way that I would be cool with LO riding in the front of DH's truck.

Is there any reason why he can't get a crew cab? Our friends have one and their Graco Snugride Carsteat fit fine in the "back " seat rear facing. 

Why does he "have" to have a truck? I would think that if you were purchasing a new vehicle you would both want something that was more family friendly....

• Back seat only... he can wait on his truck... get a king cab... there are a lot of nice choices out there...
  • can he not get an extended cab or crew cab pickup. My DH has an extended cab, the car seat fits perfectly, but instead of the hassle, we'll just switch vehicles if need be. I would definitely avoid putting car seat in front.
  • imagejerseysunrays:
    Why does he "have" to have a truck? I would think that if you were purchasing a new vehicle you would both want something that was more family friendly....

Yeah I agree with this. Even if he just wants one and doesn't need it, there are plenty that have full sized cabs with actual seats in the back that would be so much safer. It just seems like this is a perfect example of one of the compromises/sacrifices you have to make when you have kids.

• 2-Step2-Step member
    We have a family-friendly pathfinder, but have always wanted a truck as our second car because we plan on buying a camper and also tow a boat frequently. The crew-cab is an option we will look at for sure, but the sales guy at Ford told us that even in a crew cab that the seats don't fit properly. Sales dude may have been misinformed. I will tell him to get something else, he will understand, I know he doesn't want to put our LO in danger.
  • I am totally against this.  I made my DH sell his truck when we found out I was pregnant.  He got a SUV so that he still had space and lots of room for the LO.  If you husband has to have a truck then I would not put LO in it. 
  • AlilivAliliv member

image2-Step:
    We have a family-friendly pathfinder, but have always wanted a truck as our second car because we plan on buying a camper and also tow a boat frequently. The crew-cab is an option we will look at for sure, but the sales guy at Ford told us that even in a crew cab that the seats don't fit properly. Sales dude may have been misinformed. I will tell him to get something else, he will understand, I know he doesn't want to put our LO in danger.

Sales guy is completely wrong!    We have a Ford F150 crew cab and the Graco snugride and Britax Marathon (rear facing and forward facing) fit perfectly - much better than in our car!!    I love our truck and if DH wants to get a truck for a second vehicle - it's fine as long as it has a back seat like a crew cab for carseats:)  

• imageMjmksb04:
    Tell him to get a pick up with a crew cab. That is what my DH did.
    ditto
  • image2-Step:

Take the carseat with you when you test drive cars so you'll know how they fit in each vehicle. I'd imagine if a carseat base would fit in the back of my little honda civic it would fit anywhere.
  • Never.  And honestly, I don't know that it's legal.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • imagewar_eagle:
    No way.  He needs to put your child's safety first and choose another vehicle.

This

• The safest place for an infant is in a rear-facing car seat in the back seat.  I know in my state that is where they have to stay till they are 1 year AND 20 lbs.
  • I wouldn't do this regardless of whether there was an airbag or not.  I'm not sure if it's legal, even if you wanted to.  I doubt the hospital would let you take LO home like that.
  • imageIdhreniel:
    I wouldn't do this regardless of whether there was an airbag or not.  I'm not sure if it's legal, even if you wanted to.  I doubt the hospital would let you take LO home like that.

if there is no law against it.  And there is no air bag / or its cut off.. they can't say " no we won't let you take your child home"  thats a law suit.  I don't see the problem as long as the air bag is turned off.  Do airbags just turn themselves back on is that what people are concerned about?  The only reason why you don't put the car seat in the front seat is because of the air bag right? 

• imageLadynikon:

imageIdhreniel:
    I wouldn't do this regardless of whether there was an airbag or not.  I'm not sure if it's legal, even if you wanted to.  I doubt the hospital would let you take LO home like that.

if there is no law against it.  And there is no air bag / or its cut off.. they can't say " no we won't let you take your child home"  thats a law suit.  I don't see the problem as long as the air bag is turned off.  Do airbags just turn themselves back on is that what people are concerned about?  The only reason why you don't put the car seat in the front seat is because of the air bag right? 

If there's no law against it then I guess technically the hospital can't stop you, but I could see them kicking up a fuss over it.  I was always under the impression that the front passenger seat was not as safe as the back regardless of whether or not there were airbags.

• 2-Step2-Step member
    imageLadynikon:

imageIdhreniel:

This is what I am wondering. I can't find anything online that says it is any safer in the rear as long as there isn't an airbag. I will end up finding a vehicle where he can be back there anyway, but I just wanted to show DH some info and couldn't find anything that said rear seat was better if the airbag is turned off.

• From what I read online, the center rear seat was the safest because you were more likely to have a "cushion" of space around you if you got hit.  It seems to me that even if the front seat airbag was turned off, you'd still have to worry about the door or dashboard being pushed in on the carseat.
  • image2-Step:

I am not sure you can turn off airbags on vehicles with any kind of back seat.  I am not positive, but I think it's against safety regulations and they aren't even made.

A club cab is your best option if you HAVE to have a truck.  My sister has a Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab and both of her girls fit in the back with rear-facing seats with no problem. 

• BIL has a Toyota Tundra (I think... its a big truck)  and he can fit both carseats in his back seat.  So if you are looking for a truck you can easily get a carseat in and out of, this is it. 

But on the whole thing of putting ANY child in the front seat, even if the air bag is off, I definitly wouldn't do it. 

• They highly dont recommend it
  • My husband and I have a Ford F-150 4 door super crew cab and the car seat fits just fine in the middle of the back seat!  This was a big thing for us when we bought the truck!  As long as you get the full 4 doors you will be fine!  Good Luck and let Dad be a little spoiled.  The truck has come in handy on more than 1 occasion!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"