3rd Trimester

Does anyone else already have a "lovey" they hope LO attaches to?

As a shower gift we received this JellyCat from our dearest friends

https://jellycat.com/usa/tot6e/ .

I am praying it becomes DS's lovey someday. The elephant is so soft and cuddly. 

Re: Does anyone else already have a "lovey" they hope LO attaches to?

• According to my aunts I am a bad person...I don't want my LO to have any stuffed animals.

• I am hoping my LOs don't have a "lovey." After seeing my neice's struggle with her blankey and countless other struggles as a pre-k teacher, I would not inflict that on my own children intentionally.
    Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• Loading the player...
  • I never wanted my babies to have those.  I figured they are more of a pain when you can't find them and your baby is having a fit about it.  So we do not encourage getting attached to any blankets or stuffed animals. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have to admit--the elephant is incredibly adorable.  But I hope my DS doesn't latch onto anything at all.  One of my nephews attached to a stuffed animal (at much prompting, it seemed to me, from my SIL) and it became a nightmare when he didn't have it.  He even lost it once at Disneyland and the whole trip home was h*ll.

• DS had a million animals, well probably more like 20 different ones before he actually became attached to one!  He loved his blanket but finally just now ( at 3) fell in love with his "baby Maxie"  which is a Webkins little leopard.  He found it at the gift shop of an indoor waterpark that I took him to for his 3rd birthday.  It's gotten quite loved and I have to constantly remind him not to do things with it that will get it filthy dirty, like drag it on the ground when he pretends he's "walking him".  In any case I have to say it's adorable when they have a special little friend.  I hope your LO loves that elephant too because it's super cute!
    Snuggling after a nap! Claira 2 yrs and Sophia 11 months Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I can see both sides. I had a stuffed bull named moo-cow (I was raised in oklahoma/texas ok?!) and I loved that thing... I gave it up when it was time to become a "big-girl" though. I found it as I was moving to California last year... brought back so many memories!!!
  • Also forgot to mention that once we were donating things to GoodWill and he was playing with this bag.  He put his fav. animal in there and then DH took the bag to donate.  I had to frantically call the donation center and ask them to find the bag and "baby Maxie".  Mission was a success though :) 
    Snuggling after a nap! Claira 2 yrs and Sophia 11 months Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My mom gave Blaze this really soft "lovey".

It is a bear head with a blanket for a body. It is all really soft fur and she had his name embroiderred on it.

I don't think it is wrong to have a "lovey". I had a blankie...

• We do! We found a set of monkey lovies called "A pair plus a spare". It is a set of 3 identical monkey/blankies. We loved them, they are little enough a baby could carry them & not be overwhelmed. We have friends who's LO is attached to a big baby blanket & now that she is learnign to walk she trips over it & drags it around. We only plan on having one out & keeping the other 2 as emergencies. Here is a pic of it in the crib. We feel it could work for a boy or a girl. I think its good for a child to have a comfort item that can help them feel secure if you can't be there or so that they can comfort themselves with it.

Our friends who's LO attached to the blanket would rub it on her cheek when she was upset to comfort her.

Here is the lovie in the crib waiting for our LO:

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We did this with DD when she was young for many reasons, including the fact that she has special needs and we're frequently at the hospital and it gives her a sense of home.

It's worked out well for us.  She gets her little bear at night and we bring it with her to family functions where she might get overwhelmed.  As long as you control how often and long they get their lovey, it can work out very well.

• my aunt and uncle got dd a cute bunny rabbit lovey that we'll allow her to play with.  i had a stuffed animal growing up and i grew to be a perfectly accomplished human being capable of functioning without it.  now where did my wally the walrus go?... 
  • Yes--I have a Yucky doll. It's kind of like an ugly doll, but it was designed by a young kid and is very funny looking, and it has a story that goes with it. I love Yucky.
    Baby E: July 3, 2009 Baby M: February 22, 2012
  • imageemaria:
    my aunt and uncle got dd a cute bunny rabbit lovey that we'll allow her to play with.  i had a stuffed animal growing up and i grew to be a perfectly accomplished human being capable of functioning without it.  now where did my wally the walrus go?... 

Ditto. I had a teddy bear named Teddy and still have her. If my son gets attatched to something, so be it.

We are limiting stuffed animals though because you can have too many.

Not to mention my SS is 19 and still buys/wants stuffed animals and to me that's a little weird. Ok a lot weird.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"