3rd Trimester

How would you feel about this for a shower gift....

Throwing a girlfriend a shower and there are a bunch of us that want to go in on something "big"

However she's had 2 showers (huge families) and there isn't much left. I came up with the idea of getting her a maid service for 3 months. They would come every 2 weeks and do it all. I would personally love this. But one of the girls was iffy and said she personally wouldn't want someone else cleaning her house. I can understand that too..

What do you think? Would you appreciate this? Or is it crossing the line? FWIW, I think my friend would be fine with it (as far as someone else cleaning her home) Would you like this as a gift? Or rather get something "more for baby"?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How would you feel about this for a shower gift....

• I think that is a FANTASTIC idea. I personally would LOVE it!!!
  • I would LOVE it!  I'm a clean freak and it would make my day if I knew that someone else would be scrubbing the floors for me.

• Loading the player...
  • I would inquire with her s/o about it first. But if he says yea, then I would totally go for it! That would be an AMAZING shower gift!
  • I have a maid that comes every week, I couldnt live without one. So if she doesnt have one then I think its a WONDERFUL gift.
  • If she doesn't want it I'll take it!  I think this is a very generous and thoughtful gift.  I would be floored if a bunch of people went in on it for me. 
  • I would kiss the feet of anyone who gave me that gift.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers image
  • Gosh, i would love that gift! Not to worry about cleaning so much and more time to focus on LO.
  • That would be the most incredible gift EVER.
    my blog: mama quiere beso
    Joaquin's hospital and Isela's birth center med & intervention free "hypnobabies" birth stories
  • image*blondie*:
    I would inquire with her s/o about it first. But if he says yea, then I would totally go for it! That would be an AMAZING shower gift!

Oh, good idea! Duh, didn't think about asking her DH! Thanks!

• Best shower gift EVER!! 
    Snuggling after a nap! Claira 2 yrs and Sophia 11 months Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageone_more_girl:
    Best shower gift EVER!! 
  • I personally would LOVE this...but I'd talk it over with her first.  Don't go out and sign-up with them right on the spot.  Some people are picky about who is in their house, cleaning, etc.  Plus, she might enjoy cleaning herself....I know some people wouldn't know what to do with themselves if they couldn't keep busy with cleaning and chores.

• Ah, thanks ladies! I think it's an overwhelming yes! : )
  • Oh my god...you would be my best friend forever. ?I would LOVE it.
  • I would love it, but I do know some people are really weird about having people come in and clean their home. Can you ask her DH?
  • Amazing idea!
  • I would probably cry the happiest tears ever.
  • imageChrysallys:
    I would kiss the feet of anyone who gave me that gift.
    This!
  • I would definetly love this! I agree with some pp- maybe run it buy her husband
  • I'd love it.  I'm not crazy about someone else having to come clean my house, but from what i've heard i'll be tired, sleep deprived, etc. and have enough on my plate.  Especially if she has to recover from a tear or C-section or something, she won't be able to clean much.  What a great idea!
  • Personally I would feel guilty calling a cleaning service to clean my house because I would feel a little lazy.  However if someone bought me that as a gift I would love it.  Everyone loves a clean house!!
  • imageamberbaileyjones:
    I think that is a FANTASTIC idea. I personally would LOVE it!!!
    Ditto!  Also any sort o meal services so I wouldn't have to cook would be awesome.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • i think that's an awesome gift. we have someone that cleans our house and it's awesome. plus, i think shower gifts that are for the mom-to-be are really nice. my girlfriend got me a gift certificate for a pedicure at a really nice spa & it was one of my favorite shower gifts.
  • I'm pretty sure I would kill for that, but I'd check with her DH to make sure they'd be okay with it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • I would fall down and WEEP at your feet, tears of pure joy, if you gave me this.
  • Well if your friend doesn't like the idea..I'll take it as a gift!! I would love this gift!!!
  • EANEAN member

My first instinct is "Eh", not sure sure.  Only because I have someone come clean my house and I am pretty particular about it but then again I am paying for it.

My 2nd instict is if she does not have anyone currently come clean then that would be awesome!  I would do a little research like check with her neighbors and friends who live nearby to get a good recommendation!

• I will send you a personal message with my address so you can just send that maid service to MY home. LOL

If she doesn't like it.. I WILL TAKE IT! LOL

But I think she would feel a huge wait off of her shoulders with this gift... very very good idea!

• sounds totally awesome!!! i will take it ;)

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Someone did this for one of my friends.  I thought it was an amazing idea. They had the maid come the week before to get the house ready for the babies arrival and then 2 weeks after the baby was born.  Heck 3 months would be amazing.  I think it is a great idea and I am sure the mother to be will love it. Especially after the baby is here and she needs the extra help.
  • I'll be devil's advocate.  I think this one is better in theory than it really is in practice.

a few thoughts:

1) every maid service I know requires an inspection of the house before giving a price quote.  How are you going to handle that without your friend knowing?

2) in order for someone to come clean your house, the house needs to be straightened and usually you need to be gone.  Not an easy task right after baby is born.  Could cause more stress than it's worth.

3) how big is this group of friends?  I pay $100 per visit for someone to clean my modest 3 bedroom townhouse every other week.  The price quotes I got from the big agencies were more like $150-200.  are you ready to chip in for a $1000 gift?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • will you be my friend?

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• JstnJLJstnJL member
    I think that is a GREAT idea! Very different and much appreciated, esp. after having a new baby.  I would definately appreciate it!
    and the greatest of these is love......2/10/07 David Noah joined us 08/08/09 Proud BE mommy! Colbie Faith joined us 05/20/11!
  • Asking her DH is a good idea. Or you could play it off and mention it to her.. Something like " I was thinking about getting a maid but I'm kind of iffy about someone else cleaning my house" and see how she responds. Its a great gift idea and i'm sure she would never suspect anything if you said it that way.
  • First, that's the best freakin gift EVER! Second, do you need/want another friend? lol
  • I think it sounds great...but could see how some people wouldn't like it.  I know that some of my friends were considering getting together and purchasing a gift certificate for a photographer in my area so I could have a year of pictures made for baby.  That might be another idea for you to consider.

• Awesome gift...do it!!
  • My mother in law and sisters in law, went in on three maid service trips for my birthday and I thought it was a great gift. I used them when i knew i needed the help.. Especially with people coming in town...at the time I had a new baby too. My birthday was a month after I had my first daughter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"