Babies: 9 - 12 Months

so... is this racist or just dumb?

After a gorilla escaped from a Columbia, South Carolina zoo last week, an aide to the Attorney General posted a harmless note about it on his Facebook page. [GOP activiest] Rusty DePass replied, "I'm sure it's just one of Michelle's ancestors - probably harmless."

"I am as sorry as I can be if I offended anyone. The comment was clearly in jest," DePass says, adding, "The comment was hers. Not mine." According to DePass, Michelle Obama talks about how humans were descended from apes all the time.

Indifferent

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: so... is this racist or just dumb?

• I think it's just dumb... in my head, racist people in his position wouldn't be so overtly racist....but you can't hide being dumb.
  • OMG WRONG JUST WRONG!!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Hell to the naw.

Seriously, WTF?

And Heather, I have a crush on you and your activist side. Your posts are always full of passion about things dear to your heart. I like that. :o

• I'm on the side of just dumb.  I heard about this and I really don't think he meant it as a racial slur.  I'm not even a fan of his.
  • I think just dumb.  I think he was referring what she is always talking about....not comparing blacks to monkeys....still a very dumb comment.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Dumb.
  • I must live under a rock, but I have never heard the First Lady talk about evolution.
  • imageameliasmom:
    I think just dumb.  I think he was referring what she is always talking about....not comparing blacks to monkeys....still a very dumb comment.

I looked up M.O's speeches and could not find a single reference to evolution in any.  Do you have a source you could provde to back this up?

• imageHeather R:

imageameliasmom:
    I think just dumb.  I think he was referring what she is always talking about....not comparing blacks to monkeys....still a very dumb comment.

I looked up M.O's speeches and could not find a single reference to evolution in any.  Do you have a source you could provde to back this up?

Sorry...I think I misread yours.....I didn't read that it was him saying this....I understood it to be a fact that you were saying....not him.

• amelias, michelle is "always" talking about that?  i'm a big fan of hers, and i've never heard her talk about gorillas or apes.  j.crew, maybe, but never primates.

• It sounds to me like he was being really freaking dumb. I'm not sure if there was some latent racism behind the joke or not, but I doubt it would be productive to go down that road because it isn't really clear. Easier to just nail him to the wall for being rude and dumb.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • You would seriously have to have just arrived on this planet - in your little spaceship, wearing your little spacesuit - not to know that comparing an African American person to an ape is racist.  So - either he's racist or SO EFFING DUMB it's unbelievable.  One of the two. 

And I have NEVER heard Michelle Obama talk about humans being descended from apes.  She probably does believe in evolution - but it's certainly not one of her talking points so let me add insane to the list as far as this dope is concerned. 

Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

• imagebrandonsfuturewife07:

amelias, michelle is "always" talking about that?  i'm a big fan of hers, and i've never heard her talk about gorillas or apes.  j.crew, maybe, but never primates.

Read my retraction

• Um, I'll take racist for $500 please. Like a pp said, I have never heard the first lady talk about evolution or being a descendent of a monkey, that is just sheer craziness! A pp said you can't hide dumb, but you also can't hide racism. People who are, usually are overt with their racist actions becuase it just comes so natural to them they don't usually even realize they are being racist.
  • Can I have both racist AND dumb?
  • imageLoriFalce:
    Can I have both racist AND dumb?

I was waiting for you!

• imageLoriFalce:
    Can I have both racist AND dumb?

unless you are planning on being redundant...to me racist is dumb to the extreme.

• imagestar173:
    I think it's just dumb... in my head, racist people in his position wouldn't be so overtly racist....but you can't hide being dumb.

I agree with this, but think before you Facebook... honestly..... that was dumb.

• imageascbride:
    Um, I'll take racist for $500 please. Like a pp said, I have never heard the first lady talk about evolution or being a descendent of a monkey, that is just sheer craziness! A pp said you can't hide dumb, but you also can't hide racism. People who are, usually are overt with their racist actions becuase it just comes so natural to them they don't usually even realize they are being racist.

Racist, dumb and ignorant but definitely racist.   

• imageLucyPevensie:

You would seriously have to have just arrived on this planet - in your little spaceship, wearing your little spacesuit - not to know that comparing an African American person to an ape is racist.  So - either he's racist or SO EFFING DUMB it's unbelievable.  One of the two. 

And I have NEVER heard Michelle Obama talk about humans being descended from apes.  She probably does believe in evolution - but it's certainly not one of her talking points so let me add insane to the list as far as this dope is concerned. 

All of this. Seriously people, WTF.

• I agree with the posters who say racist
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"