1st Trimester

5 weeks and trying to stop smoking

We just found out on Monday (today is Thursday) that we are 5 weeks along. I have been a pack a day smoker for years and this bundle of joy is coming as a surprise to us. Since we found out Monday I have cut back to 4-5 cigarettes a day. Is this ok for the next few days while I ween myself off, or am I already starting a trend of being a horrible mother? I have already quit drinking and started eating better and I dont want to throw my body into too much shock this early. Any suggestions?

Re: 5 weeks and trying to stop smoking

• I saw on TV today that you can start doing harm to your baby (from smoking, drinking, drugs, etc) as early as 17 days after conception (you are past there).  I don't smoke, but I would talk to your Dr.  In my opinion it would be best to quit cold turkey and TODAY.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • its actually better to wean yourself than to cold turkey. cut back for a few days to 4-5 then within the next week or two - get down to none. :) good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Once you start to get m/s and that "gaggy" feeling, smoking will be the last thing you'll want to do.

It's good that you've cut back that much but you really need to try to quit. I was a pack every 2-3 day smoker and as soon as I got my BFP, I threw away my cigarettes and lighters. I tried to have one hit of DH's cigarette about 2 weeks ago and I coughed like it was my first time. I'll never do it again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I personally don't think smoking in any amount is okay while pregnant! I would call your doctor asap and see what other remedies are safe to help you quit while pregnant. Or try carrying around a bag of carrots and eating them when you want to smoke, or call a hypnotist. Anything you can do to not smoke will be better for you and the baby!
  • I stopped immediately cold turkey because I knew if I justified smoking early in pregnancy, I would never quit 100%.

That said, some people have a tougher time than others.  I think it's great that you have cut down so much.

If you're going to quit entirely, think of it this way-- you have the best reason in the world to stop right now. 

I read something about how every cigarette is like trapping your fetus in a smoke-filled chamber, and that was enough for me.  If you want to scare yourself out of smoking, just read the research or try to find videos, etc.

Good luck!

Married in 2008 - DD born in 2010 - EDD 6.15.2012!
  • Just remember that everyone quits differently--and it's really easy for non-smokers to say "just quit cold turkey!" Even pregnant, it's just not that easy.

At this point, cutting back is a great first step. Take it day by day, and slowly get that number down to zero. Sure, it would be great if you could quit cold turkey from day one, but just remember that you're ultimately making the best choice for your baby, even if it takes a week or two longer.

Good luck!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Talk to your doctor ASAP.. I am sure you are not the first smoker to become pregnant usexpectadly.  I am sure she has some tips to help you stop faster... or can tell you something at least.

GOOD LUCK!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i've been a smoker for a long time and yes i was smoking when i found out that i was pregnant and i've been cutting down ... i was a pack a day plus sometimes. i maybe smoke 4 or 5 cigarettes a day and i'm at the point now where i don't really need it ... and find that i skip some ... trust me ... once you cut down and start skipping the smokes it'll be the easier thing ever. i find now that when DH smokes outside and comes in I can't handle the smell of the smoke.  Good Luck!
  • I don't think I have to tell you that smoking while pregnant is bad for the baby, in any amount.  However, I have heard doctor's say that it is best (for some people) to quit in stages, because it can stress your system more to go through the nicotine withdrawal.

If you can, quit right now.  If you think that is impossible, I would set a goal, maybe 10 days from now, and cut back a cigarette a day, every couple of days, until you are done.  Having an exact goal date might make it less likely that you will smoke any longer than planned.

• HOORAY!  Good for you for taking that first step.  As previous people have recommended I would definitely ask your doctor for help and guidance.   I've heard the same, that quitting cold turkey isn't always the best route.  Your doctor should be able to tell you how much to cut back at what time intervals and may be able to help with medication.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • steverstever member

imagexjessickax:
    We just found out on Monday (today is Thursday) that we are 5 weeks along. I have been a pack a day smoker for years and this bundle of joy is coming as a surprise to us. Since we found out Monday I have cut back to 4-5 cigarettes a day. Is this ok for the next few days while I ween myself off, or am I already starting a trend of being a horrible mother? I have already quit drinking and started eating better and I dont want to throw my body into too much shock this early. Any suggestions?

Just stop.

• Talk to your OB.  S/he might know of anti-smoking programs, etc. that might help you.

I really commend you for trying to quit.  If you need more inspiration, go visit the preemie board and remember that smoking puts your baby's life and health at risk.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagestever:

Just stop.

Gee, I bet she never thought of that!

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagestever:

imagexjessickax:

Just stop.

oh shut up and go away. 

• Get rid of all your ciggies, lighters, ashtrays.  Leave yourself with 1 pack and give your self a week to wean yourself off of it!  Once those cigs are gone, you're done.  No excuses.

Throwing away everything cigarette related really is an important step!!  I don't care if you just bought a new carton, throw them away!  Getting all smoking things away from you will help reduce your urges.  Get straws to chew on to cure your oral fixation.  I used to carry change in my hand and jingle it to because I didn't like my hands sitting still...  Figure out the things that cue your urge to smoke then find ways to distract yourself from them.

Good luck - quitting smoking will be the hardest thing you ever do!  If you need support feel free to PM me!

(I was a pack a day smoker for 5 years and quit 7 years ago... and every day I still want a cigarette.  It never gets any easier either.  But that is just a testament to how addictive cigarettes really are!  I am too proud to have a cigarette and my pride is what has kept me smoke free for 7 years!!)

imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMereou12:

Just remember that everyone quits differently--and it's really easy for non-smokers to say "just quit cold turkey!" Even pregnant, it's just not that easy.

At this point, cutting back is a great first step. Take it day by day, and slowly get that number down to zero. Sure, it would be great if you could quit cold turkey from day one, but just remember that you're ultimately making the best choice for your baby, even if it takes a week or two longer.

Good luck!!

This, and GL.

All I can do is speak from experience. I quit about 7 years ago, and I did it cold turkey. The first few days were hard, but once I got over that hump it got easier.

2 girls and a dog
  • imageiris427:
    imagestever:

Just stop.

Gee, I bet she never thought of that!

no kidding.

2 girls and a dog
  • imagestever:

imagexjessickax:

Just stop.

This!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLurksgirl:
    i've been a smoker for a long time and yes i was smoking when i found out that i was pregnant and i've been cutting down ... i was a pack a day plus sometimes. i maybe smoke 4 or 5 cigarettes a day and i'm at the point now where i don't really need it ... and find that i skip some ... trust me ... once you cut down and start skipping the smokes it'll be the easier thing ever. i find now that when DH smokes outside and comes in I can't handle the smell of the smoke.  Good Luck!

I am also unexpectedly pg...I found out after we got back from vac in VEGAS!!!!  I was a pack a day + smoker.  I cut back to 6 a day immediately and am now down to 4.  I'm finding it easier to cut back now.  Just get yourself out of the habitual smoking times.  Mine was my car ride to work, 10 am stress smoke, before and after lunch and car ride home...that's 5 before I even got home! So now I walked out with my co-workat 10 am but I'm literally out for fresh air and to take that break, no smoking. As I cut back more and more, I find it easier and easier.  I plan to be smoke free within 1-2 weeks. 

I know in my heart of hearts I HAVE to stop and I am trying.  But there is so much going on with you esp. when it's unplanned that it's really hard to just stop.

Good luck and we're all here to chat if you need! Big Smile

• imagekatieh78:

imageLurksgirl:
    i've been a smoker for a long time and yes i was smoking when i found out that i was pregnant and i've been cutting down ... i was a pack a day plus sometimes. i maybe smoke 4 or 5 cigarettes a day and i'm at the point now where i don't really need it ... and find that i skip some ... trust me ... once you cut down and start skipping the smokes it'll be the easier thing ever. i find now that when DH smokes outside and comes in I can't handle the smell of the smoke.  Good Luck!

I am also unexpectedly pg...I found out after we got back from vac in VEGAS!!!!  I was a pack a day + smoker.  I cut back to 6 a day immediately and am now down to 4.  I'm finding it easier to cut back now.  Just get yourself out of the habitual smoking times.  Mine was my car ride to work, 10 am stress smoke, before and after lunch and car ride home...that's 5 before I even got home! So now I walked out with my co-workat 10 am but I'm literally out for fresh air and to take that break, no smoking. As I cut back more and more, I find it easier and easier.  I plan to be smoke free within 1-2 weeks. 

I know in my heart of hearts I HAVE to stop and I am trying.  But there is so much going on with you esp. when it's unplanned that it's really hard to just stop.

Good luck and we're all here to chat if you need! Big Smile

good luck to you too :) way to go on cutting back! 

• I smoked up until we started trying with DD#1.  I pretty much did it cold turkey, got a BFP pretty soon afterward, and never looked back.  Doesn't mean I didn't (and still don't) crave them once in a while.  It will be very hard, but totally worth it when you think of the health and well-being of your baby.

Good luck!!!

• Thank you everyone for your suggestions and support!

I know it will be very helpful to me to help quit ASAP.

I am hoping to report on Monday that I am no longer a smoker :) Thanks!

• I quit the day I got my BFP and haven't had one since.  I still get a craving now and then.  I don't have any advice.  It seems like you're doing the best you can.  Everyone is different and its a hard thing to do. Try to keep cutting back and you'll be fine.  Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • epphdepphd member

Best of luck to you - work with your physician and devise a plan.  Of course we all know smoking is harmful, but your brain is physically and biochemically altered right now, and a trained professional should advise you on how to best quit.

And if you need to wean yourself gradually, that's fine. Smoking is harmful to fetuses but it does not instantly kill or maim them for crying out loud.  Some of the posters with flip comments about "just quitting" would do well to educate themselves.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • It is one of the hardest things to do, but sooooo worth it in the end. I smoked 1+packs a day when I found out I was pg with DD. Luckily, I only had 2 cigs. left in the pack when I got my BFP. I remember sitting alone, before going home to tell DH, and smoking my last cig. I actually cried! I felt like I was loosing a friend! I won't lie or sugar-coat it...it sucked! your hormones are going crazy and now you're going through withdrawels. But it will get better! I promise. My last cig. was August 27th, 2007. I have been "butt" free for almost 2 years! I still miss it, but I know I just added more years to my life, and more $$$ in my pocket! 

YOU CAN DO IT!!! Just take 1 day (sometimes 1 hour) at a time!!! It's sooo worth it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No real advice, other than to echo calling the doc and saying that having already started a step-down program is a great step.  Good for you for doing the best thing for your baby, and lots of luck.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• Quit today, no amount of weaning or waiting is worth the damage that you are doing to your baby or the guilt you will feel if the baby has a birth defect (wether or not it is related)

Quitting is never easy but you have the best reason in the world

I was 9wks PG when I realized it with DS?
    I quit the day I got my BFP & I was terrified of what damage I had already done. DS has a heart condition & I will never know if those few weeks that I did not know I was PG are what caused it.?

IMO you ARE being a bad mom by not quitting & you are letting yourself off to easy. It is in your power to quit today?
    I can't believe you were able to smoke for three additional day after you found out
    ?
    QUIT harming your unborn child?
    ?

Summer 2011
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers ~early M/C 4/09 ~ Ectopic 6/09~ BFP 11/09~
  • imageAddicted2Thenot:
    Quit today, no amount of weaning or waiting is worth the damage that you are doing to your baby or the guilt you will feel if the baby has a birth defect (wether or not it is related)

I was 9wks PG when I realized it with DS 
    I quit the day I got my BFP & I was terrified of what damage I had already done. DS has a heart condition & I will never know if those few weeks that I did not know I was PG are what caused it. 

IMO you ARE being a bad mom by not quitting & you are letting yourself off to easy. It is in your power to quit today 
    I can't believe you were able to smoke for three additional day after you found out

QUIT harming your unborn child 

:snicker: stfu. she is doing a fabulous job by trying to quit by monday!! 

• imageAddicted2Thenot:
    Quit today, no amount of weaning or waiting is worth the damage that you are doing to your baby or the guilt you will feel if the baby has a birth defect (wether or not it is related)

I quit the day I got my BFP & I was terrified of what damage I had already done. DS has a heart condition & I will never know if those few weeks that I did not know I was PG are what caused it. 

IMO you ARE being a bad mom by not quitting & you are letting yourself off to easy. It is in your power to quit today 

What a tool.

Why do people ever think that self-righteous is helpful?

Because it's not, and then you look like a douchebag. 

• epphdepphd member
    imageAddicted2Thenot:

Confused I'm sorry, do you have some sort of medical degree, because you seem to be pretty confident in your assertions.  And BTW, guilt has never cured a biochemical and physical dependency.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • My smoking timeline:

Week 1-4: Pack a day

Week 4-5: 2-3/day

Week 5-8: 1/day

And then I quit. My OB suggested that method, and I was able to quit fairly easily that way. I've been smoke free for over 6 weeks, and I don't miss it anymore at all. It can be done, and don't beat yourself up. I felt horrible smoking at 7 and 8 weeks, but I felt like I couldn't go without that one a day. Suddenly one day I just. didn't smoke. Good luck!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    http://i41.tinypic.com/111ov4j.jpg
    2007-Sept 2008: TTC the old fashioned way
    Sept 2008 - Jan 2009: Clomid 100mg
    Feb 2009: 200mg Clomid = BFP! on March 20, 2009 - It's a BOY!
    Nov 26th 2009: Aidan Michael, 20.5" 7lb12oz
    Feb 2010: Start TTC again, the old fashioned way
    Mar - June 2011: Clomid 100mg
    July 2011: Unmedicated cycle = BFP! on August 29th, 2011
    Nov 6th 2011: m/c due to subchorionic hematoma
    Dec 2011: Start TTC again, unmedicated
    February 12th, 2012: BFP! EDD 10/23/12
    Mar 12th 2012: diagnosed as blighted ovum
    Trying again..
  • I'm not a smoker.  However, I do understand that quitting is tough.  I agree with everyone that said call your dr ASAP.  I do think that quitting cold turkey is probably not the best way to go, you seem to have made progress already, tho and that is very good.

My mom smoked with me (she said she didnt know it was bad for you back then, i cant grasp the thought that inhaling smoke wasnt known to be bad for you..another topic...) and I have a breathing disorder that no one has diagnosised yet.  They are constantly trying different meds on me with no luck.  Please be aware of the damage it does to your baby.  As well the damage it does to you!

One dr told me it was from second hand smoke that my breathing is the way it is.  I believe it is partly this and my mother smoking while i was relying on her for oxygen.  So, once you get weened off - make sure you quit for good.  It would be such a waste of your efforts to quit, only to start up again once the baby is here - which can hurt the baby just as much.

I am an AVID believer that you shouldn't smoke when you are preg.  I dont even let anyone smoke around me.  I consider it quite selfish to smoke when you are preg.  However, it seems you are trying, and thats why i wrote my post the way i did.  I think your effort looks promising.  But you really need to call your doctor to find the quickest route to quiting.

FuzziBunz at Nurtured Family Bravado Bras at NurturedFamily.com Maya Wrap Baby Slings at Nurtured Family
  • imageadriennegaydosh:

I'm not a smoker.  However, I do understand that quitting is tough.  I agree with everyone that said call your dr ASAP.  I do think that quitting cold turkey is probably not the best way to go, you seem to have made progress already, tho and that is very good.

My mom smoked with me (she said she didnt know it was bad for you back then, i cant grasp the thought that inhaling smoke wasnt known to be bad for you..another topic...) and I have a breathing disorder that no one has diagnosised yet.  They are constantly trying different meds on me with no luck.  Please be aware of the damage it does to your baby.  As well the damage it does to you!

One dr told me it was from second hand smoke that my breathing is the way it is.  I believe it is partly this and my mother smoking while i was relying on her for oxygen.  So, once you get weened off - make sure you quit for good.  It would be such a waste of your efforts to quit, only to start up again once the baby is here - which can hurt the baby just as much.

I am an AVID believer that you shouldn't smoke when you are preg.  I dont even let anyone smoke around me.  I consider it quite selfish to smoke when you are preg.  However, it seems you are trying, and thats why i wrote my post the way i did.  I think your effort looks promising.  But you really need to call your doctor to find the quickest route to quiting.

what kind of breathing disorder (ie: symptoms?). i have a friend that went undiagnosed for a LONG time until they finally found out what it was.

• Stopping smoking wont throw your body into shock except for the nic cravings aspect which frankly-you will have to get over.?

This isnt about you or your body or what you are used to. ?This is about having a healthy baby. ?When I was pregnant with my last pregnancy, the DAY I got my BFP I stopped cold turkey. ?That was last Oct. ?We lost the baby in November and I never went back to it. ?Don't do it for you, do it for your baby. ?Its that simple. ?Is the temporary satisfaction of a few smokes worth risking even a small thing wrong with your child??

accordingtoabby.com" "From of suffering emerges the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahlil Gibran
  • Just wanted to wish you luck! You CAN DO THIS!!!!
    image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm gonna say cold turkey is the best bet for your baby.  You can do it.  If you need help, ask your doctor.
  • Hey, I found out on Monday also, and I was a pack a day smoker.  I was able to quit cold turkey (one of my few talents ;) ), but everyone is different, so hooray for being able to cut down right away. 

It's not ok to smoke a few a day for a few weeks, but it is better than a whole pack a day, and if you know your body and your smoking habits, then you probably also know way better than anyone here whether your body can handle cold turkey.  I suggest taking up knitting or sewing: it occupies your hands and you end up with cute handmade stuff for baby.  Also, you won't want to handle it with smoky hands, so it is another incentive not to smoke.  Also, chew gum, carrots, candy ciggarettes, anything in the meantime.

" I have already quit drinking and started eating better and I dont want to throw my body into too much shock this early."  It sounds like to are trying to justify continuing to smoke by emphasizing the positive things you are doing (which are both awesome, by the way), sorry.  You are going to do WAY more damage continuing to smoke than a little quitting stress will ever do.

Good Luck!!!

• this may help you quit... a woman that works for me smoked her entire pregnancy, she cut back but stil somked everyday.  she did have a seemingly healthy baby but the baby gets sick every month.  and weird sicknesses, not just a common cold.  she has been to the emergency room easily 5 to 7 times and the baby is about 16 months old.  i dont know if it is because of the smoking, but i wouldnt smoke to find out. 

i quit  as soon as i found out with my first, and i just had to but the baby first and myself second, which is the way it will be until all your kids are grown and gone.

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i smoked about a pack every 2-3 days prior to bfp.  i had quite cold turkey when i found out i was pregnant with ds and restarted when i went back to work after he was born.  when i found out about this one, i cut back to two a day for a week and have now quit.  this was recommended by my doctor for me to do.

i actually did have some issues when i quit cold turkey with number 1.  i had an anxiety attack that was pretty severe because the stress of work, being newly pregnant and quitting something i had been addicted to with no step down plan.  PLEASE don't think i am saying i would have been better off smoking because that is absolutely not the case.  my son is beautiful and healthy because i quit.  

my point is, you must quit but how you do it is important.  talk to your doctor.  if you have the capability  to do it cold turkey, do it.  if you smoke as much as you do and have been for a while, you may need to devise a solution with your doctor that will keep you and your baby healthy. 

best of luck to you.  it's not easy, i know.  just keep telling yourself that you need to do this to give your dc the best life you can give them.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"