Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Anyone else feel like this?

Before I had DS I was always a super happy person. Usually always in a good mood, laughed a lot, just very happy. Since having DS I feel like I am not myself. Not that I am never happy or sad, just not myself. It is hard to explain.

I feel overwhelmed all the time. Of couse, I have a 4 month old, work full time, never get more than 3 hours of sleep at once, and we just moved a month ago.

I am questioning DH and I's relationship and there is no really reason. He is great and there is no reason for me to be unhappy in our marriage. I was fine before.

I used to love to get out and shop. Now, if I am not at work I just want to stay home. When we have to go out on the weekends, I try to rush and I just want to get back home. DH got mad at me this weekend because I was rushing and angry because I wasn't at home.

It just crossed my mind for the first time yesterday that possible this was PPD. I don't feel depressed, just not myself. I don't know if this is normal because I have so much going on and I am so tired or if it could be PPD. I looked up the symptoms on WebMd and I don't have many of them. I never feel like I would hurt DS or myself, I don't cry a lot or anything like that.

How did you other girls with PPD feel? Sorry this post is so long, it feels good writing this out though.

Re: Anyone else feel like this?

• I actually feel like this. I think it's because having a baby really is a huge life change, one we don't necessarily prepare for, because, well, who would stop going out for fun in preparation for an infant at home?

Also, re: the shopping, I feel exactly like you. I think it's because I feel stressed out about taking Quinn with me and worry that I won't be able to do what she needs while we're out. It's definitely a life-changing experience...

I know this is probably stating the obvious, but I think we're just adjusting to a gigantic life change. I hope I'm not in denial, but I don't think it's PPD.

If you ever want to vent, I'm here. We can exchange emails... Seriously, I just felt like this during the weekend.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Absolutely, it can be PPD. With all types of depression, you don't have to feel 'depressed' per se, but even a lack of interest in your usual activities can be a symtpom. Also, PPD doesn't have to arise with the first month or two; I believe it can really be anytime, especially within the first year.

I would contact your doctor. Mine suggested psychotherapy before meds, and I'm glad she did. You will figure everything out - I'm sure speaking to a medical professional initially will make you feel a bit better and sure of what's going on...

I wish you luck :)

• Loading the player...
  • I have not had PPD that I know of, but some of what you are feeling is completely normal. It is really hard to spread yourself around to everyone you love once you have a baby. I remember thinking with my son how in the world am I supposed to be there for my DH too. My son thankfully was very easy and slept well from the start, but it still does not take away from the fact that there is only one of you. Its hard to "want" to get out with your DH and leave the little one at home, but it really is important for everyone. My DH and I have season tickets to a college football team and that was something we could do without him. Now that I have had my 2nd baby I don't always feel like doing much. I feel trapped especially when both of them are home. I have ventured out with both of them, but not very often by myself. I think if I would do that I would not feel so trapped. I personally just want time for me, and think it would probably make me a better mom.

Sam-mommy to Brady 11/6/06 & Riley 4/8/09

• imageGASuzuki:

I actually feel like this. I think it's because having a baby really is a huge life change, one we don't necessarily prepare for, because, well, who would stop going out for fun in preparation for an infant at home?

Also, re: the shopping, I feel exactly like you. I think it's because I feel stressed out about taking Quinn with me and worry that I won't be able to do what she needs while we're out. It's definitely a life-changing experience...

I know this is probably stating the obvious, but I think we're just adjusting to a gigantic life change. I hope I'm not in denial, but I don't think it's PPD.

If you ever want to vent, I'm here. We can exchange emails... Seriously, I just felt like this during the weekend.

Yeah, I was thinking this too. It just seems like everyone here talks about how much easier it is now. DS is a really good baby and I really like my job. It is very laid back. I just feel like I should be handling it better.

I know what you mean about taking the LO out. It is a major deal. It seems like everytime we go in a store, DS needs a diaper change. I usually change him right before we leave, but it doesn't matter.

I am just ready to enjoy life again. I will PM you with my email if you ever need to vent too. It is a really big change. I don't think you can ever prepare for it.

• I PM'd you and sent a version to your email. :) We'll be ok!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • If what you are describing is PDD, then I am having trouble too. I am with the PP who explained it as a huge life change. It is a very, very big adjustment and you have had a lot of other things going on. This is hard. Maybe try talking to your husband about it. Mine helped me feel a little better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am having a hard time as well. I want to cry all often (although I am much better than I was the first 2 weeks) and I have lost my appetite. I love my son so much and I would never hurt myself or him, but I do question if this is "baby blues" or PPD. I am having a hard time with my DH right now as well.
  • i've always been a very emotional person, but since i've had my baby i've been extremely emotional. my mood swings tend to be either one extreme to the other. it's not that i'm unhappy or anything, it's just the overwhelming feelings that i've had since the birth. i have often found myself crying for no reason whatsoever. i find it very frustrating.

there have been times, when i too have questioned my relationship with my husband. when really i have no reason to question how strong our relationship is. but since our baby has been born, all we seem to talk about is her. we don't have much else to talk about, because the majority of our time together is dedicated to her.

you are not alone!!!! i have and still am going through PPD!!! i cannot wait until it finally goes away! 

• Actually you sound a lot like me before I was diagnosed with PPD.

I rarely felt sad / depressed, just always "off", and often anxious. And unhappy, even though things were going well.

I did the same thing, questioning my relationship with DH. Even though there was no reason to. I think it was tied in with the anxiety.

Interesting that you mention not getting more than 3 hours of sleep at a time. One of the big contributing factors for PPD is lack of sleep / exhaustion.

I would talk to your Ob.

I didn't think I had it either, but my mom insisted I get checked out. I'm glad I did. Just talking to my Ob about it put my mind at ease, and the meds (Lexapro) have made a world of difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"