Baby Names

The name Damian/Damien

My husband and I really love the name Damian/Damien. We have had a lot of responses that this adorable name relates to the devil some how. I Googled the name, and found that the child's name in the movie the Omen is Damien. Other than that, there is no Biblical relation to the name and the devil. I all sounds rediculous to me, but what do you all think? 

Re: The name Damian/Damien

• I would not relate it to the devil.  I think it's a good strong name.  Somebody is going to find something wrong with a name no matter what you chose.  I say go with it.
    Books read in 2009: 112
    Books read in 2010: 153
    Books read in 2011: 160
    Books read in 2012: 134
    Books read in 2013: 17

Leah (packfan20)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • a2ta2t member
    That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the post...was the devil boy in that movie....sorry.
  • Loading the player...
  • Everytime I see the name Damien I think devil. I mean, if you really love a name then it shouldnt matter what anyone else thinks but there is no way I would do it.
  • I have a cousin named Damien.  He's 28 and hasn't had any problems with the name.
  • It is sad that a movie like that ruined a nice name. What if they used Michael for the movie instead? Would it still be a popular name year after year?
    DS born 2009
    BFP#2 ~ 8/2/11, EDD 4/11/12, D&C 9/12/11 at 9w5d
    BFP#3 ~ 4/15/12, EDD 12/21/12 ~ DD born 12/22/12
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes, my first thought on the name is Devil Boy. The movie came out in the 70s and a newer version in 2006, so I don't think the association is going anywhere anytime soon. I would look elsewhere if it were me.
  • EXL311EXL311 member
    I don't think it's a big deal although I think Liz Hurley's ex had a problem with her naming their son Damien.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Well, Michael Meyers is a serial killer in the Halloween series, and I don't think that name is tainted. Maybe it's because Damian is not used very often.
  • We got similar comments when we were thinking of the boy name Damon.  I think because it's close to the word "demon" or something.  But Damian definitely gets a stronger association with the devil because of the movie.  But I think it's a great name and use it if you like it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love the name but I think of Damien Echols (West Memphis Three)!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Damian does remind me of the Omen, but I don't like that it sounds so similar to the word demon either.  When one of my sister's friends was pregnant, she told everyone that she wanted to name her son Damian, and everyone tried to convince her that it was a bad idea because of the devil connection.  She did end up using it though and her son turned out to be a little terror lol.  Coincidence?  Maybe not... haha. 
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • When I saw this post title, I said to my husband "the ladies on this site are going to give this woman hell".  Just because a name has a famous bearer doesn't mean its unusable.  Otherwise, there wouldn't be any "Charles"s or "Jacks" or "Johns" or "Teds"... and those are real life bad guys. Not even to mention the movie types.

The name Damien will always carry that with it: pop culture is what it is.  But hubby and I are considering Astrid, a name that numerous people connect with White Oleander, and I find that equally silly a basis for name bias.

• imagespiffy:

When I saw this post title, I said to my husband "the ladies on this site are going to give this woman hell".  Just because a name has a famous bearer doesn't mean its unusable.  Otherwise, there wouldn't be any "Charles"s or "Jacks" or "Johns" or "Teds"... and those are real life bad guys. Not even to mention the movie types.

The name Damien will always carry that with it: pop culture is what it is.  But hubby and I are considering Astrid, a name that numerous people connect with White Oleander, and I find that equally silly a basis for name bias.

I think the difference in this case is that Damian is a fairly uncommon name (unlike Jack, John, Ted, etc. which have become pretty generic).  That combined with the fact that The Omen is one of the biggest horror movies of all time makes it stick out in people's heads a little more.  I remember ages ago, someone on the Nest posted about naming their son Damian (it was on another board), and about 50 people responded with the Omen/devil reference.  For me personally, that would be enough to convince me not to use it because I wouldn't want other people thinking about that when they hear my kid's name. 

BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • i was just thinking about this name the other day. in my opinion, i like that it's a name that will never be too popular because of its associations for some people. i've met damians before and never thought "gee, i wonder if he's the devil" so i don't think it will be an issue.

i feel the same way about rosemary (because of rosemary's baby) and like that a lot of people don't think to use it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I hate horror movies so I haven't seen the Omen. However, the first thing I thought of was the guy on Mean Girls.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• I'm sorry. It does make me think of evil, but not because of that movie. Rather, it just sounds too much like "demon" to me.
  • I love the name. A lot of people do immediately think of The Omen when they hear it though. I've considered using it myself, but I suspect my son will actually look like the kid in the movie (pale skin, dark hair) so that might be a little too much for him as he gets older.?
    Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It doesn't remind me of the devil, I just don't like the sound of it. It's not a nice name imo.
  • initially i think of the devil, but my neighbor is named Damien and I dont think of it at all anymore.  If you are interested in a variation, how about:

Darien 

My 6 YO son has a friend with that name.

• I always think of the movie The Omen when I hear that name.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • I like it. I prefer Damien. I think that association will die out. Then again I'm not a big horror movie fan, so who knows.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am new to this board...and generally just lurk but I just wanted to say that my son's name is Dameon and I think it is a very strong name- which suits him and his little personality well! The name actually means "to tame or subdue"....forget the "Omen" association- if you love it go for it!
  • megs68megs68 member
    I haven't seen the movie, but a girlfriend said to me the other day, "Can you believe my cousin named her son Damien?  Like the devil!"  So the connotation definitely is out there
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemfransdell:
    Everytime I see the name Damien I think devil. I mean, if you really love a name then it shouldnt matter what anyone else thinks but there is no way I would do it.

This. I never saw the movie Omen so I don't know where I get the connection. I think the name would grow on my though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"