3rd Trimester

Very important question... Need advice/opinions...

Are you going to be putting baby mittens on your baby? Or do you feel this will somehow hinder his/her developing motor skills?

Pros and cons please!! Thanks!

Re: Very important question... Need advice/opinions...

• i think it depends how chicken i am when the time comes about clipping the little nails :)
  • Loading the player...
  • FWITW, i used mittiens
  • FWITW, i used mittiens until
  • FWITW, i used mittiens until he
  • FWITW, i used mittiens until he ds
  • FWITW, i used mittiens until he ds was
  • FWITW, i used mittiens until he ds was about
  • FWITW, i used mittiens until he ds was about 3
  • wth? I have never heard of it hindering development. hmm new to me. Maybe that's why my kid is a slacker.

mittens are a PITA...try socks.

• Yes to baby mittens, or the pj's that have flaps for the hands. ?I've heard horror stories of babies gashing their faces with their sharp nails. ?I would only use it during sleeping times though.?
  • i just used them a few weeks with DD and DS but i honestly prefered the outfits with cuffed sleeves the mitts fell off both of them.

as far as motor skills... i wouldnt be concerned with it that early.. u will know when to ditch em, and it wont take long!

• I never did with my daughter and she never did scratch herself. I might if this baby starts to scratch the bejeezus out of him/herself but otherwise no. I just never saw a need for them
  • Only if they scratch their faces, and typically just when sleeping.  Socks work better, and cuffed onesies best.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagehula_lula:
    I never did with my daughter and she never did scratch herself. I might if this baby starts to scratch the bejeezus out of him/herself but otherwise no. I just never saw a need for them

This is EXACTLY what I was going to type. Only my son never scratched himself. :) I never thought twice about mittens because they weren't a necessity for us.

• I wont be using them. Babies need to be oral and put things in their mouths. Just remember that if you dont use them, DO NOT clip a newborns nails, you need to file them down because their skin is still attached to the nail.
  • Henry wore them 24/7 because my DH is a weirdo and insisted on it. I was too tired to argue. I just took them off when DH wasn't around. Henry's hands work fine now btw...

~~~Big brother 11.29.05 & Little Brother 6.18.09~~~  
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • I like the gowns with foldover cuffs, but other than that I'm not investing in full-time mittens or anything. I can't imagine it would hinder them if it's just while they're sleeping...
    Um, yeah. The Bump be too crazy for pics of my kid.
  • I got a pack of 3 pairs of mittens, and I'll probably use them when DS is still really little... I agree with PP about waiting to see how chicken I will be to cut his little nails (or have DH do it)! 
  • I went to a breastfeeding conference for work & they told us that if you are BFing then you should not use mittens or swaddle babe's arms down. Apparently baby needs to be able to rub his hands to his face. This is a common feeding que & it is also a self waking mechanism they use that allows for more effective breastfeeding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagehisbabybear:
    I wont be using them. Babies need to be oral and put things in their mouths. Just remember that if you dont use them, DO NOT clip a newborns nails, you need to file them down because their skin is still attached to the nail.

you let me know how easy it is to files a newborns nails mmmk? I clipped ds nails just fine...and it was just nails...they were long!

• This is a very important question?  Anyways: I got a few pairs for the first few days, after that NO.
  • imageerino&chrish:
    This is a very important question?  Anyways: I got a few pairs for the first few days, after that NO.

Sarcasm, m'dear. :)

• Got the mittens, we'll see if she needs them. I plan on cutting her fingernails pretty regularly. I never even thought about the motor skills concept. I'm sure the baby will be fine either way.
  • I don't plan on it. I want him to be able to use his hands. I hate it when babies fingernails are too long so I'll keep them nice a short and filed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"