2nd Trimester

Placenta Previa at 18 wks

I'm now 20 wks but was told at 18 that I had placenta previa. I didn't know enough about it to ask many questions when she told me about it. Now I just have to wait it out until my next ultrasound in another 2-3 weeks. I have restrictions and am wondering whether this is likely to continue throughout my pregnancy - I still have so long to go. Anyone else with this? She said there's a chance I'll have to have a c-section. I wish I had asked her what level I had, I believe she said my placenta is near my cervix.

Re: Placenta Previa at 18 wks

• I hope you don't watch One Tree Hill...
  • imagetstumph:
    I hope you don't watch One Tree Hill...

Really?? You had to go there??

ETA: OP: Sorry, I can't help you out with this. Maybe you could call your dr. to see if you can get in for a short appt. to talk about your concern?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow, the other two responses were REALLY helpful. Hmm

Anyways, It sounds to me like you don't have full placenta previa, but a low lying placenta. This means that your placenta, which should be up towards the middle of your uterus, is lying down low near your cervix. I also was told I had this at around 18 weeks, and was put on pelvic restrictions for 2-3 weeks. This is really important, to be honest, if you want it to move. The placenta almost always moves up during the pregnancy (don't get me wrong, sometimes it doesn't)... and mine did at my next u/s at 22 weeks.

Don't worry about anything else until you find out if it has moved or not at your next u/s. No use in thinking too far ahead, because as I have said, it almost always moves itself and gets better.

Hope that helps. Sorry you didn't get better advice earlier.

• I agree... I wouldn't wait. I'm sure your Dr can get you in for a consult. I'd compile all your Q's and make an appt.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• First baby I had it. They found it at 20 weeks was but on restrictions. Cheek at 24 week and it had started to move up and they said I would be fine to give birth without C section.

This baby woke up at 14 weeks lots of blood. Went to the doctor and they said I had it again with this baby. Just had untrasound this week (17) and they said it had not move. Will be check at 20 week with big U/S. I am staying hopeful that like before it will move out of the way. I had some spotting this week. This time is worst then the first. What I tell myself everyday is stay on restrictions and take it easy. Hope it moves up for you.Yes

• imageFutureHardings:

Wow, the other two responses were REALLY helpful. Hmm

Anyways, It sounds to me like you don't have full placenta previa, but a low lying placenta. This means that your placenta, which should be up towards the middle of your uterus, is lying down low near your cervix. I also was told I had this at around 18 weeks, and was put on pelvic restrictions for 2-3 weeks. This is really important, to be honest, if you want it to move. The placenta almost always moves up during the pregnancy (don't get me wrong, sometimes it doesn't)... and mine did at my next u/s at 22 weeks.

Don't worry about anything else until you find out if it has moved or not at your next u/s. No use in thinking too far ahead, because as I have said, it almost always moves itself and gets better.

Hope that helps. Sorry you didn't get better advice earlier.

My advice was to call the dr. to see if she could get in for a consult.  How can I give better advice if I don't have the condition?? I think the 1st person's comment was inappropriate and said so (I'm aware of what is going on in that show, not a very sensitive response in my opinion!).

• Sorry, I didn't read much of your post after seeing the first line.... my bad.

It was more directed towards that first person. 9 weeks pregnant and already being a smart ass. Because, that's gonna help around here. Frustrates me is all.

• No worries! My thoughts exactly, that comment really pissed me off (1st person, not you).
  • I was told at my 19 week big u/s that I "possibly" have a low-lying placenta, but I was not put on restrictions... my guess is that it has something to do with how close it is to the cervix, or how much it is covering the cervix whether you have restrictions and/or bed rest.

But from what I have read so far (internet and mayo clinic book) - the good news is that most (around 90%) of women who have a low-lying placenta will find that it has migrated upward and no longer poses a risk later in their pregnancy.

Follow your doctors recommendations, and if you have questions that you didn't think to ask your doctor, call the office and speak with the nurse... that is what they are there for.

• I think this site has stuff on placenta placement, check out Q&A it might give you ideas to ask the dr. If you dont mind me asking, what kind of restrictions do you have to be on?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagetstumph:
    I hope you don't watch One Tree Hill...

That was helpful, go back to your own board! (I mean that in the nicest way possible)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • aciaacia member

I probably won't be much help - but I wanted to let you know that I'm in the same boat. I was told at my 18 week U/S that my placenta was partially covering my cervix. I went in for my follow-up U/S yesterday but apparently the placenta hasn't moved :-(  

From what I remember reading, you have a better chance of the placenta moving if it's NOT touching the cervix to start with - and from what it sounds like, your doctor said that the placenta is "near" the cervix rather than covering it. I think there's a really good chance that your placenta will move, so stay hopeful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She didnt say low lying - I think she said it was near the cervix. I have all of the restrictions, no sex, no heavy lifting, no exercise - taking it easy as much as possible.
  • I wish you the best with this..  During my first pregnancy I had placenta previa around 17-18 weeks and it was the most scariest thing ever, I was home alone when I started bleeding (A LOt)... finally got ahold of DH and was rushed to the hospital.. 

I am happy to hear that your story didn't start out that way (I don't wish that moment on anyone)..  I was put on bed rest for a few days and then things turned around and I was able to have a regular delivery..  Im on my second baby right now and approaching the time when it happened the first time.. I get worried every time I go to the bathroom..  I guess my advise is to always ask your Dr. questions no matter what it is.. and try and stay positive :) there are lots of happy moments on the way :)

Best wishes..& Take care..  :)

• I was told I have a low lying placenta that will be monitored.  However I was not given any restrictions.  Just curious what restrictions people were put on and what the purpose of the restrictions are?

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine was definitely placenta previa, near the cervix - my restrictions are no sex, no heavy lifting, no exercise, nothing that will get my heartrate up. I had my 22 week check up this week and ultrasound again tomorrow. I'll find out whether mine has moved! Fingers crossed.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"