1st Trimester

was it planned?

today i told one of the managers i work with that i'm knocked up. i didn't really want to this early, but given the nature of my work, i had to let him know why i was on "light duty" and what that would entail.

his response was congratulations, that's wonderful, etc etc... followed by "was it planned?"

well, no actually, it wasn't. hubs and i wanted to wait a year before even trying and i was completely shocked when i got a BFP. of course, that doesn't in any way imply that it was an UNWANTED pregnancy... i was shocked, yes, but thrilled also. i am all in.

but it's not like i'm gonna tell HIM that. i don't even know how to respond when someone asks. i really liked everyone's posts yesterday about responding to "i didn't even know you were trying!" so... suggestions?

and also, since this is a pregnancy board and we share info like morning sickness and sore boobs... was your pregnancy planned?

Re: was it planned?

• Nope. A giant surprise!! Oops!! But I love my baby regardless. :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • mine was definatly not planned.

I chose to be pregnant for my wedding-

(My boss asked me if mine was planned and I had said that exact response)

I mean really people?

• not planned, but very much wanted.  pretty much anyone who knows me & DH already know that.... so we don't really get those questions. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine was most definitely not planned. ?And I plan on telling anybody who makes a comment about it that I don't see how it's any of their business.
  • Very much planned, for quite a while.
    2 girls and a dog
  • ivs112ivs112 member
    Planned.
  • Yes, ours was planned, but it happened a lot faster then either one of us expected.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Yes, we were TTC. We absolutely did not expect for it to happen so soon (and I know that we are very blessed that this was the case).
    the boymom is expecting a girl!
    big brothers 12.2009 and 02.2012
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Dont you hate that. A few people have asked me that. I am 35 married  with 4 children. DO YOU THINK I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO USE BIRTH CONTROL, if we did not want anymore children. Got to love stupid people.
  • Mine was planned as well....and, as you can imagine by looking at DD's ticker, I have been getting asked that a lot!
  • imaveraimavera member
    Planned.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes - Planned... anticipated... fretted over....
  • no. i had an IUD. 
  • I've gotten that question so many times!  By co-workers and people that I just don't talk to that much, and I always find it to be so rude!  It's none of their business!  But for your inquiring mind, yes we were planning. 
  • Planned but definitely quicker than expected!

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Planned and trying for 2 years! But a complete shock when I got the positive results b/c I was so use to getting negative results!

• I was asked this today. I said 'Ofcourse, I'm not a spring chicken anymore'   I just hate how people react like I got knocked up in high school or something.

Mine was planned, but it happend quickly. 

eta: you can always give them a worried look and a tear and say "I don't even know who the father is"

• imageheather_09_15_07:
    Very much planned, for quite a while.

This.  We wanted a family since we married.  The official TTC didn't start about 7 months ago. 

• sgrlsgrl member
    Very much planned. And I am shocked that people ask that! Really, how clueless can you be. (IRL - I don't mind being asked that on a pregnancy board - but damn I'd mind a LOT if my boss asked me that!)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Very planned.  I charted and checked my CM everyday.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • well planned or unplanned, congratulations to you all!
  • Not really.  We knew we wanted a third child, but we were planning to TTC closer to DS's 2nd birthday.   Oops.  A happy oops though.

I hate that question from people though.  What would they do if you said "No, and we're devastated"?

DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • Nope!  We were going to wait a year (we were married in December), but ended up with a bfp a few months later.  So it wasn't planned.... but we are still really excited!!
  • That question is only slightly more annoying than... Are you excited?

Just burns me something fierce!

Yes this pregnancy was planned ttc for 19 months before bfp#2! First one was too.

• Suzi-G-Suzi-G- member

Very much planned, we'd been trying for a year and a half and were on a break (for financial reasons) from infertility treatment with the RE. 

As for how to respond to "was it planned?"  I'm not really sure what i'd say.  think I'd say (in my sweetest most innocent voice)  "What an odd question!  Is an unplanned baby any different from a planned one?" 

My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • 6 years of OPKs, charting and timed intercourse with 3 injectable cycle IUIs and 3 IVFs mixed in... a well wanted and over planned miracle.
    A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Yes both were.  As for your question, just answer yes and move on.  I don't know why people ask that question but they do so plan on it being asked a lot more.
    imageimage
  • Mine was planned.

• mooetamooeta member
    Yes ours was planned It took 18 months of trying to make it happen.  Having a baby is a choice to me, preventing pregnancy is easy, getting pregnant for me not so easy. 
  • After the wedding we decided that I would go off birth control and we would stop using protection. We weren't trying in the sense of ovulation tests but we sure weren't preventing!
  • imagePinkMnM26:

eta: you can always give them a worried look and a tear and say "I don't even know who the father is"

I would do this, too, except i work at the same facility as my husband. I'm not sure he would appreciate the sense of humor!

• It was planned, but I am very surprised on how fast I got pregnant. On our first try TTC out of the gate.  I thought because I am 37 it would take months or something like that.  Guess I was wrong. lol
  • imageMrs.Keith2B:
    Yes, ours was planned, but it happened a lot faster then either one of us expected.

Ditto.  After being on bcp for 10 years, we thought it'd take a while, but after 2 cycles...BFP!!!!

• Yes, very much planned.  I doubt we'll get that question, since nearly everyone knows about our loss in November and a fair amount know about our ectopic.

But if we did get it, I assume a raised eyebrow and death stare would be enough.  If it weren't, I think I'd just continue repeating, "I'm sorry, I don't think I understand the question."  or "I'm so sorry, I must have misheard you." until they let it go.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

My Blog

• MSC03MSC03 member

You can actually answer with something like, "We are absolutely thrilled."

It doesn't answer their question, but it should suffice.

imageimage
  • imageAMYfromKY:
    Very planned.  I charted and checked my CM everyday.

I'm going to say this when random people ask me if the baby was planned.  "Why yes.  We had sex every day, and I checked my CM all the time.  I just couldn't wait for that egg white consistency!  Thanks for asking!!"  Can you imagine their faces???

DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • A surprise for us, but a very good surprise!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Bill&MeBill&Me member
    yes! but we were still surprised!
  • mooetamooeta member
    I don't know I guess I'm just not very sympathetic.  I mean we tried for 18 months and frankly had to hear about oops pregnancies, when all we wanted in the whole world was to be parents.  I'm sorry but I just don't get whining about people asking if it was unplanned when yours was unplanned.  Just say it was a happy surprise and be done with it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"