3rd Trimester

What will you never say to a pregnant woman

now that you've been pregnant?

For me, it's try and get some sleep before baby comes or hope you've been everywhere you wanted to go-you should go now (yeah right with 6 wks to go)

umm there's always somewhere we want to go and will want to go, that will never end, and I know some sleep now is worth a lot compared to the none you'll get in the beginning but it definitely isn't anything like the sleep you get pre pregnancy.

*Meg* Our little family imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What will you never say to a pregnant woman

• I will try to refrain from saying ANYTHING except Congratulations.  I will only ask how she's feeling if she looks like she feels bad on a particular day.  Anything else, I will wait until she ASKS for advice or input!

• I'll never say anything other than "You look amazing" (I used to tell girls how tiny they looked).  

• Loading the player...
  • "How do you feel?" This question annoys the hell out of me.. How the hell do you think I feel... uh... Pregnant.. fat, swollen, ready for it to be over with..

I always asked that question.. I will never again!! haha

• ksaylesksayles member

I will NEVER comment on a pg woman's size whether it be small or large. I hate when people say things about how I am ready to burst. I have a friend who was super tiny and you could barely tell she was pg for most of her pg. She hated when people would tell her how tiny she was. I am sure they meant it as a compliment, but we all know how we take those.

I will also not try to scare her. I think women take pride in telling the most frieghtening birth stories. You can tell them what happened, but don't make it sound like a horror movie. 

• "so....how much weight have you gained?"

"was it planned?"

any mention of forthcoming sleepless nights.

come to think of it, I would ask any of these before I got pg either, but people sure LOVE to ask me.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • "so....how much weight have you gained?"

"was it planned?"

any mention of forthcoming sleepless nights.

come to think of it, I wouldn't ask any of these before I got pg either, but people sure LOVE to ask me.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'll never make any qualitative statement about how she looks - just "You look GREAT!"

When she or her partner are around children or if I'm relaying a story about my LO, I will never say "That's what you're in for!" or "Get ready!" DH and I HATE that. Yes, we are familiar with these beings you call children. Duh.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I will talk to her about something/anything besides her pregnacy lol...every person who I'm not super close to wants to discuss something baby related....blahhhh borrriinnngggg
  • I will not say anything that starts with..."oh just wait..."  I don't know why everyone feels that they can predict my future. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lyla Margaret , June 7, 2009 Tavis Tutty, January 5, 2012
  • the only thing me and my friends say to each other during the PG is "you look sexy" and once the baby is out we say "hot mama"

we made a rule never to talk about weight, sleeping or pain while pg.

i am on my 2nd and they all have 1 so i am enjoying the hot mama AND sexy compliments!

• I won't say anything except for...you look great!  Your skin is glowing!  You're so tiny!
  • Yeah - all of these.  The sleep one especially.  I don't sleep now....at all.  I am way too uncomfortable.  So I have no interest in anyone telling me to sleep 'now that I can'.  Bleh.

Yeah - I think I'll just tell people that they look great and leave it at that.

• imageDSteed-to-be:

I will try to refrain from saying ANYTHING except Congratulations. 

This and I'll tell them they look great.  She probably already feels like crap and could use a little boost.

• Nothing about size, shape, appearance in general, sleep, excitement level, ...and definately no "interesting stories" (read: horror stories) about other people or myself.

I'll stick to general questions about getting the nursery ready, baby showers, cravings, leg shaving mishaps...maybe ask about names...and compliment her like crazy!

• "you are getting so big!"  I hate this!  What do people expect? 

I will now say how great they look! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 2-Step2-Step member
    I will never talk about or ask if they are worried about how they are going to lose the weight. I have two very skinny friends and every time we talk about being  pregnant they start ranting about they are going to have to be "anorexic pregnant women" because they could NEVER get fat and how horrible it would be to be fat afterward and how they will have to obsessively exercise after the birth or they will just die! They are great women in every way, but they just don't get that is the LAST thing their big curvy pregnant friend wants to hear is two skinny little girls whining about how they won't be able to deal with getting fat during pregnancy! COME ON!!!!!
  • If someone tells me they're tired I will never tell them it only get's worse. They frekin know it's going to get worse.

This really fires me up...you think I have no idea what babies are like?!!

• imageDSteed-to-be:

I will try to refrain from saying ANYTHING except Congratulations.  I will only ask how she's feeling if she looks like she feels bad on a particular day.  Anything else, I will wait until she ASKS for advice or input!

THIS.. i absolutely haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate unsolicited pregnant/parenting advice!! so i WILL NOT give it out! Its truely obnoxious when the 0-6 board ppl just come over and offer advice. if i want it, ill ask. same thing IRL

• I'm going to stick to Congratulations and maybe ask if they know if it's a boy or a girl. Those two don't bother me. Everything else is off the table unless they bring it up.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
    Birthday
  • Will never ask if it was planned or make any assumptions about the method of conception. If someone is having twins I won't ever ask if they run in the family. I'm not really the type to make spontaneous conversation about things like that though so unless it's a close friend or family member I wouldn't ever ask someone about their pregnancy unless they brought it up.
    *** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • nothing related to "oh, well it's ok b/c you're eating for 2!"
  • The dreaded series that I get no less than 10 times a day... 

How are you feeling?

When are you due?

Boy or a girl?

Do you have a name?

• Jules GJules G member

Are you sure you're not having twins?

Are you sure it's a girl? Those can be wrong sometimes! It could still be a boy.

People have no brain sometimes!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepeachypear:

I'll never make any qualitative statement about how she looks - just "You look GREAT!"

When she or her partner are around children or if I'm relaying a story about my LO, I will never say "That's what you're in for!" or "Get ready!" DH and I HATE that. Yes, we are familiar with these beings you call children. Duh.

This one drives me crazy! When parents of horribly misbehaving kids tell me that I'm in for it, it makes me want to ask them why they would assume my child will be as bad as theirs. With my luck she will be but I'm still not going to wish it on some unsuspecting pregnant lady.

"I can resist anything but temptation." - Oscar Wilde
  • I won't ask every.single.day "How are you feeling?"  Uh, I feel pregnant, just like yesterday and just like tomorrow.....Glad that you care co-workers (or maybe you don't) but I am sick of answering that question. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJGM281207:
    I will not say anything that starts with..."oh just wait..."  I don't know why everyone feels that they can predict my future. 

Yes

This one bothers me the most, though I will also refrain from making any comments about physical appearance. Any unsolicited advice or remarks in general will be avoided. I'll just tell them how amazing they look as well and offer a friendly ear to listen to any complaints!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"