Eco-Friendly Family

Question for Natural birth mamas

I'm a natural birth mama (delivered at home) and I am also an OB nurse in a hospital.  One of my fellow doctor friends is having a baby next month and has asked me to be her unofficial doula!  I am so excited!  I want to bring a bag of tools with me.  Now when I was in labor, a rice sock heated over and over again and placed on my lower back was invaluable.  The hot shower was a must!  But my question for you ladies is...what worked best for you when you were in labor.  Any suggestions of what I should bring with me to help her have as natural a childbirth as she can have????

Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Question for Natural birth mamas

• No advice yet, but I have a question for you.  I am assuming you have a lot of the same beliefs as I might in this situation - how do you deal w/ being an OB nurse, knowing all that you know and stuff? I ask b/c my cousin was a L&D nurse and had to quit because she just couldn't handle the stuff that went on and the stuff that was pushed on women who didn't know any better.  She actually has since become a doula. What is your take on all that?
  • I know- I am an interesting combination aren't I?  I originally went to nursing school with the plan to be a midwife.  I studied a little in England and fully believe in midwives and their philosophy on childbirth.  That being said, you have to work two years to be accepted into a CNM program.  So, I got an internship in my hospital 10 years ago being cross-trained in NICU, L&D, and high risk antepartum/postpartum and nursery.  I HATED L&D in my hospital because it was like a baby factory full of interventions.  I was so confused as that was not what I expected L&D to be like.  So, I chose to stay on the high risk antepartum/postpartum/nursery unit because I felt like the women I am caring for have a reason to be in the hospital and have a reason for intervention.  I see some pretty scary high risk stuff in pregnancy so that to me justifies what I do.  I could never work FT over in L&D. 

Anyway, once I started working I realized that I was very good at what I do, that the pay was good, the hours were great and pretty flexible and I just couldn't see myself going back to school for my CNM.  Buuuuuuut, I have ALWAYS known that the way I saw childbirth in my hospital (and we are no different than any typical US hospital) was NOT the way I was going to birth my children.  There is a need for a hospital and doctors and intervention when needed but they are not always needed and I truly believe they can do more harm than good and the typical American woman completely trusts their doctor that they don't question enough interventions...they just go with it.  Some are forever haunted by their birth stories and some just don't care how the baby got there, as long as the baby got there (most of my patients are in this category).  I for one care how my child(ren) came into this world and I care about the care I recieve during the whole process.  So I chose a homebirth with a CNM knowing full well that if at any time I became uncomfortable with the situation, I would transfer if needed.  It wasn't needed and my beautiful baby boy was delivered in my bed.

Oh-and I now feel it is my duty and my calling to educate anyone (especially in a hospital setting) on the safety and importance of midwives and having a choice and a say in the type of birth experiece that you desire.

Whew- sorry so long.  Very passionate!  And if my husband ever gets  job that pays very well...I am totally becoming a doula too! 

• Loading the player...
  • VERY interesting, thank you! That is somewhat the answer I was expecting (and makes sense).  I think it would def. be easier to be over on the high risk side since there is actually a need for such interventions and all that for certain women, but like you said, the average healthy pregnancy it's just crazy what can go on! We are doing a CNM, but in a hospital setting b/c they don't do home deliveries and DH wasn't quite comfortable going that far. ;)

Have you read the book Pushed?  I recently finished it (and wrote about it in my blog  a few days ago).  It's REALLY interesting (basically an entire book on what we've touched on here). 

• Oh yes!  I have recently read Pushed...I own the Business of Being Born...I have recently read Born in the USA by Dr Marsden Wagner (he was the older doctor in The BOBB).  I have read more midwifery books than I can count.  I am planning on purchasing some Ina May Gaskin books next because believe it or not, I have yet to read a book by her! 
  • imageGermanwife2b:
    I am planning on purchasing some Ina May Gaskin books next because believe it or not, I have yet to read a book by her!?

Ahhh! This is a must. She has great techniques. It was going to be my suggestion. The Guide to Childbirth especially. GL and congrats! You'll be great.?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imagecrozette:

imageGermanwife2b:
    I am planning on purchasing some Ina May Gaskin books next because believe it or not, I have yet to read a book by her! 

Ahhh! This is a must. She has great techniques. It was going to be my suggestion. The Guide to Childbirth especially. GL and congrats! You'll be great. 

I have this book and I'm about to start it. I'm excited to read it! "The Farm" is about 40 miles from where I live...I am hoping to visit one day! 

I will have to check out those other books, too. :)

• I just put a wanted ad on Craigslist for Ina May Gaskin books (we'll see)

Can I come visit the Farm with you????  I'd love to do that!!!!!

I'd also love to visit the maternity center in Florida...can't remember that midwife's name or her birthing center right now...but I would love to meet her too! 

• Absolutely! :) Anytime! hehe I am definitely not the norm in my circle about stuff like this so I don't have anyone local to go with (my l&D turned doula cousin is in St. Louis). I think we may actually go when she visits this Fall.
  • imageGermanwife2b:

I'd also love to visit the maternity center in Florida...can't remember that midwife's name or her birthing center right now...but I would love to meet her too! 

Not to butt in, but I LOVE that lady!!  She was on Discovery Health, right?  I watched her House of Babies program all through my pregnancy, and she's the person who inspired me to skip the OB and go to a birthing center.  Her name is Shari Daniels, and she runs the Miami Maternity Clinic.  Big ups to Shari!

• Back to your original question (and BTW I loooove this post!)... I was supposed to have a natural birth at a birthing center but was overdue, they did a sonogram, thought I had a very low level of amniotic fluid and had me induced.

ANYWAY... I had a thing like a rice sock but it was cherry pits.  That was for my lower back; I also had a buckwheat thing that hung over my shoudlers when I was in the rocking chair that was great because of the weight and ability to heat.  My friend told me to bring tennis balls for DH to massage me but we didn't use them.  Then smell was a big thing for me (especially being in a hospital).  Some sort of aromatherapy really helps you get into the Zone and focus.

I third Ina May's Guide to Childbirth!  That book is AMAZING and so inspiring!!!Big Smile

• This may sound silly, but maybe ask your friend what worked for her when she had bad menstrual cramps and use that for ideas.  When I was younger, I got horrendous cramps and the only thing that really made me feel better was laying on the cool floor (maybe an ice pack would have helped, but I never tried that).  During labor I couldn't handle hotness either, so the hot rice sock would have killed me.  I ended up laboring on the bathroom floor most of the time.  I did labor in the tub a bit, but it made me uncomfortable.

• *LrCg**LrCg* member
    I had a homebirth and a very fast intense birth.  I think my positive attitude about it really made it go by fast and enjoyable.  I know that sounds odd but I loved labor.  For me understanding how my body worked and why, I just never felt out of control.  Towards the end when it was back labor I arm wrestled with my DH (it was in Ina Mays book) and that truly helped alot.  I also kept reminding myself not to close my mouth and think to myself 'I'm going to open up big" (another IM gem).  I remember during the pushing part I must have said this out loud and my Midwife goes "oh no honey it will all go back to normal when its over"-- haha, so then I explained to her my thoughts and why I wanted to get big- we all just laughed.  Best of luck to your friend!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"