Success after IF

Tylenol during pregnancy can cause autism ????

My boss was just telling me that she heard something on the news yesterday about how they're now linking autism to tylenol use during pregnancy. I googled it and a lot of articles showed up....anyone else heard anything about this?

Of course, I've been taking tylenol (maybe once a week...1 dose) for the migraines I keep getting and benadryl for my allergies (again, maybe a few times a week 1/2 dose). Another thing to worry about?

I'm going to ask my OB on monday about it.
Wife. MoM {1G + BBG triplets}. DIY'er. Quilter. 

Re: Tylenol during pregnancy can cause autism ????

• Oh great...off to do some panicked googling. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ihadn't heard that one yet, but I am interested to look into it.  I think there are A LOT of things that can play a role in autism and a person's tendency toward it.  Lots of environmental/toxin factors and any sort of medication could be a part of that.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi. I work in the field of autism and know that you have to be very careful about what you read on the internet, especially with autism. There are hyperbaric oxygen chambers and a special type of horse dung that claim to  cure autism. There are people who believe autism is not genetic, although they have found specific genes that say otherwise. Basically there is a lot of hype out there and I wouldn't believe everything you read.

If your OB says it's safe, I wouldn't worry about.

• imageCandT:

I'm not saying anything one way or another towards your autism stance, but if you believe this, I'd be scared.  OBs (any Dr.) do NOT know everything and many of them believe very different things.  Always best to do your own research (from reasonable sources of course) and draw your own conclusions.  The Ob profession is one of the most corrupt in terms of 'we do this b/c it's easier and become normal, but it's not even proven to be shown BEST'.  

• imageCandT:

I'm not saying anything one way or another towards your autism stance, but if you believe this, I'd be scared.  OBs (any Dr.) do NOT know everything and many of them believe very different things.  Always best to do your own research (from reasonable sources of course) and draw your own conclusions.  The Ob profession is one of the most corrupt in terms of 'we do this b/c it's easier and become normal, but it's not even proven to be shown BEST'.  

• it's true- doctors do not know everything - but it's more true that there are tons of "alarmist" groups out there that post anything they want on the internet to freak people out.

Unless I see a well designed study published in a medical journal - i give little credibilty to any 'theory" or "proof" that you read on the internet.

If tylenol caused autism- pretty much everyone would have it- b/c almost all pg women take it at some point in their pg.

Be smart- don't believe everythign you read on the internet or hear bimbos talk about on TV.  Read MEDICAL JOURNALS and make sure studies aer designed well before believing a thing.

• SeaSoulSeaSoul member
    Oh, fcking great.  That's all I took during pregnancy...fortunately, not too many times.
    Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
    LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
    LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • OMG, pleeeease! Tylenol does NOT cause autism. It is one of the most researched and safest drugs out there on the market. Anyone can put a load of BS on the internet. Geezzzeee...

Henry and Papa at the farm
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • epphdepphd member

My Ph.D. is in cellular/molecular biology and I spent 11 years in neuroscience labs.  Taking a quick glance at the primary medical literature, there is not a single medical article that links acetaminophen to autism.  Fully 60% or more of autism cases are thought to be linked to subtle genetic mutations - and it is more than likely that the rest are as well - the genes responsible (there are likely to be anywhere between 2 and 100) have not yet been identified.

There were a few studies looking at at acetaminophen use in babies after the MMR vaccine (in a subset of a subset of a subset of kids, as reported by parents years after the fact), but there was no significant correlation to autism.

Unless it comes from actual controlled scientific studies, I wouldn't believe a word of it.  And as of now, there is not a shred of evidence to support it. 

If you come accross any links you'd like be to check out I'd be happy to, but again - unless it's in JAMA, Cell, Nature, Science or any other peer reviewed scientific journal... I wouldn't give it a second thought. 

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • I also saw mention once of a possible link between epidurals and autism...

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageGoldie_Locks_5:

it's true- doctors do not know everything - but it's more true that there are tons of "alarmist" groups out there that post anything they want on the internet to freak people out.

Unless I see a well designed study published in a medical journal - i give little credibilty to any 'theory" or "proof" that you read on the internet.

If tylenol caused autism- pretty much everyone would have it- b/c almost all pg women take it at some point in their pg.

Be smart- don't believe everythign you read on the internet or hear bimbos talk about on TV.  Read MEDICAL JOURNALS and make sure studies aer designed well before believing a thing.

Hear, hear!  I agree with every word of this.  

• THANK YOU, epphd!!!
    *** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • I agree, thank you epphd!

Pretty soon they're going to start telling us that we need to be in a bubble for the entire pg.

• As someone who has a child on the autism spectrun.....NO!!!  Autism is a brain based disorder that has no known cause as of now.  And if that were the case that tylenol causes it....I took one tylenol my entire pregnancy with Chris.  I would have to say the 103 fever I had would have caused more harm than the tylenol to reduce the fever.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"