3rd Trimester
Options

dr wants to talk induction.

i had my weekly appt today and i am 1 1/2 cm and 50% effaced. before my Dr left the room he said that at my next appt (on monday) we will talk about inducing on friday (i will be 39 weeks) if i haven't had the baby yet.

what would you do? 

Re: dr wants to talk induction.

• Options

Seems kinda early to be talking induction, unless there's some medical reason for it.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Do you want to be induced or would you rather go on your own?  There is no right or wrong answer.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would ask why you need to be induced before you reach your due date. I would want to reach my EDD first and then talk induction if nothing has happened by then.
  • Options
    My doctor had the same discussion with me.  I brought it up here and most people disagreed with being induced before 41 weeks without a medical reason.  However, I think you should trust your doctor's opinions and do what works best and is most important for you and your DH.
  • Options

imageashleyvc1:
    Do you want to be induced or would you rather go on your own?  There is no right or wrong answer.

This

• Options
    imagejenber77:

Seems kinda early to be talking induction, unless there's some medical reason for it.

that is what i was thinking too, and there isn't any medical reason for it. i have had a "perfect" pregnancy

• Options

I personally do not want to be induced until at least after my EDD and if it's medically necessary.  I would say what do you want?  If you don't want to be induced, then let him know that now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I guess I'd ask the doc "why?"

And after he told me, I'd ask for a non-stress test to show me that there's some kind of medical reason for induction. Lacking a GOOD medical reason for induction, I certainly wouldn't be induced. 

There are definite risks to mama and baby with induction, including uterine rupture and fetal distress. So, the fact that he's talking induction this early (and assuming you're healthy) makes me think that he's talking induction for his own convenience. 

You know, babies were born into this world before pitocin came into the picture. 

I'll tell you: I certainly wouldn't even entertain the option of induction a day before 42 weeks. 

When I hear docs and hospital policies about a 41- or 42-week max on pregnancy, I need to scratch my head. That's such an arbitrary number, considering that EDDs are ESTIMATED due dates. I can see having a policy of doing a non-stress test and ultrasound once or twice a week after 41 weeks to ensure baby's not in distress. But to just make a blanket statement that "we will not let a woman go over 41 weeks" is ridiculous. 

• Options
    afgafg member

I would trust my dr. 

He only said that he wants to discuss it though, so maybe he wants to discuss it now so that it would happen at or after your EDD?

• Options
    imageQueSara74:

I guess I'd ask the doc "why?"

And after he told me, I'd ask for a non-stress test to show me that there's some kind of medical reason for induction. Lacking a GOOD medical reason for induction, I certainly wouldn't be induced. 

There are definite risks to mama and baby with induction, including uterine rupture and fetal distress. So, the fact that he's talking induction this early (and assuming you're healthy) makes me think that he's talking induction for his own convenience. 

You know, babies were born into this world before pitocin came into the picture. 

I'll tell you: I certainly wouldn't even entertain the option of induction a day before 42 weeks. 

When I hear docs and hospital policies about a 41- or 42-week max on pregnancy, I need to scratch my head. That's such an arbitrary number, considering that EDDs are ESTIMATED due dates. I can see having a policy of doing a non-stress test and ultrasound once or twice a week after 41 weeks to ensure baby's not in distress. But to just make a blanket statement that "we will not let a woman go over 41 weeks" is ridiculous. 

Well said.

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"