3rd Trimester

Planning to use a Bassinet or just crib?

I have a bassinet that my friend gave me, but I was actually planning on just using the pack n play I got at the shower becasue it has the bed/moble as well as the changer table connected to it...anyone else planning to do this?  My mom is encouraging me to just start out with putting him in his crib which is on the other end of the house.  Maybe I am just lazy but right at first I dont want to be going to the other end of the hosue every hour of the night when it can all be right beside me, plus I dont want him that far away right at first even though I have monitors, am I being silly?

Re: Planning to use a Bassinet or just crib?

• ksaylesksayles member
    We will be using the pack n' play at night and her crib during the day for naps.
  • We're doing bassinet until he/she outgrows it.

When you're up every 2-3 hours at night the last thing I wanted to do with DD was walk any further than 2 or 3 steps.

• Loading the player...
  • I plan on using just the crib.  I'm bottle feeding and the nursery is right across the hall from our bedroom.  We can use the pack-n-play if we feel we need to move the baby into our room.
  • We'll be using the PnP for the first few months, and then moving on to the crib.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageksayles:
    We will be using the pack n' play at night and her crib during the day for naps.

Us too.  We did the same with DS as well.

• I used to think I wanted to put her in her crib down the other end of the house in the nursery but recently DH and I decided that we are going to have her in the pack n' play in the master bedroom until she is a few months old.
  • We are using the pack n play in our room for the first 2 months until we move...then we are buying a crib and switching to that in his own room in our new apartment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JCMJCM member
    We will be using a bassinet in our room at first.  I don't want to have to go to the other end of the house either!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We're using a bassinet in our room for the first few weeks (just at night) & then will make the switch to her crib.  She will take naps in her crib during the day.
  • We're just using the crib from the beginning, that way we don't have to ever transition the baby from being in our room, to his own.  His room is 2 doors down from our bedroom though...so it's really close.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • alathamalatham member
    We are starting her out right into the crib. But...I reserve the right to change my mind once she gets here, lol.
    BFP 11/20/2012. Missed MC on 12/26/2012.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • miababymiababy member
    At our childbirth prep class last weekend, a neo-natologist came and spoke with us.  He recommending having the baby sleep as close to you as possible (without co sleeping) for the first 3-6 months.  We are using a cradle that my stepdad made.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I want to have baby sleeping in our room for the first few weeks. DH is building a cradle, but before he decided to do that, I was planning on getting a moses basket. I also liked the idea of having a moses basket because we could easily most it to other rooms or even to other houses. So I requested that DH make a cradle that isn't to awkward to move to other rooms.

ETA: BTW, the reason I want LO in our room is (1) BF convenience and (2) it's recommended to reduce risk of SIDS (I think just for better monitoring).

• imageksayles:

This is our plan too as of now.

• Bassinet for the first month or two then transitioning to the crib. I'm just too lazy to walk to the other room every time I have to feed him. Once we introduce bottles and my husband can help I figure we'll move him then.
  • I am just using the crib but I live in a one floor condo and it's maybe 20 steps from my bedroom to her bedroom. Seemed stupid to buy a bassinet when the crib is so close. Plus I dont want her to get attached to being in our room.
  • I bought a bassinet used for $10, so that is my plan (unless we get the p&p from a shower, in which case I'll use that instead).  Even though the nursery is right next to our bedroom, I'd rather him be right there at first, especially with trying to BF.  We'll move him into the crib after a few weeks, and probably do naps during the day in his crib.
  • We are using a crib. We have a small house so shes going to room with us.
  • bassinet for the first couple of weeks at night by our bed... crib the rest of the time
  • Our plan is to go straight to the crib, I also plan on having the pack n play in the living room, and we have a moses basket that we will probably keep in our room. But for night time, baby will be in her room in her crib. Or at least those are my intentions we will see what happens when she gets here.
  • We're just using a crib, mainly because we live in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment and there is no need for any unnecessary furniture hanging around.  But, even if we were somewhere bigger, I'd just set the baby in the crib from the get-go
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Our room is on the second floor and I plan on spending most of my time in the downstairs part of the house so we are leaving the pack n play downstairs for naps, and will have a bassinette in our bedroom.  He will sleep with us until he outgrowns the bassinette.
  • We plan on using the cribs.  Their room is right across the hall from ours. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My plan has always been for baby to go straight to crib... but so far we have a bassinet and no crib as of yet, so we'll see whatever is most convient for us when baby arrives
  • Tonya_GTonya_G member
    With DS, his crib could fit in my room, but we've moved to a new house and gotten a bigger bed, so a crib will no longer fit, nor really, will a pack n play. So, we plan on using a bassinet until the baby is 3/4 months or outgrows it, whichever comes first. Then we'll move him/her into the crib, which ought to be interesting.
  • both the bassinet will be in our room and baby will sleep in the crib in the days
  • imagestephelias:
    We'll be using the PnP for the first few months, and then moving on to the crib.

Same here.

• Co-sleeper in the bed, then a crib. We didnt get a bassinet or PNP, since they were a waste of $ for us with our first DD.
  • I am planning on using the crib from the very begining. However, it will be in our room for the first year. I will use the pack n play for the living room, so my little guy can take naps in that during the day.
  • At this point my plan is to do whatever works during those first few months and whatever gets me the most sleep. I am pretty flexible regarding what that involves, and I am definitely open to the pack n play in our room if the crib isn't working or is too inconvenient at night. (I think I am going to try day naps in the crib as much as possible.) I also appreciate that the new-mom-anxiety may keep me up no matter where he sleeps and that having him in the same room may not necessarily equal lots more sleep.
  • imageMrs.Foreste:
    We're using a bassinet in our room for the first few weeks (just at night) & then will make the switch to her crib.  She will take naps in her crib during the day.

ditto

• My parents had a cradle custom made when I was born, and I'll be using the same one.  We'll keep it in the bedroom in the beginning, and move him to the crib when we're not getting up 10 times a night!
    "You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
  • We have a pack n play bassinet on loan from my sister which we plan to put LO in at night to save trips to his room. For daytime naps he will be snoozing in his room in his crib.  Our house isn't that big but I want the transition from our room to his room to not come as a big shock. Some of the reading I have done suggests that a baby should not be sleeping in your room past three months unless you plan on sharing your room with them for an extended period of time. It sounds kind of harsh to me but then again my SIL still can not get my niece out of their room at 2.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageksayles:

Us too. I want the baby in our room early on.

• We are using the bassinet for the first few weeks in our room due to me having a c-section and getting around wont be so wasy then we will put him in the crib after a while!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"