Baby Names

I think someone just ruined my name...

Well I have had my heart set on the name Aurora for a couple of years.  I love the name.  The nickname is Rory.

I just read on the internet that someone knows a girl with this name and kids at school called her ah-whore-ah.  OMG.  Kids are so freakin mean. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I think someone just ruined my name...

• Kids will find nicknames to tease other kids no matter what the name.  If you love the name, use it!  I have heard though that the name Aurora is difficult for kids to say until they are much older.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Don't let that sway you too much.  I have a friend from HS named Aurora and to my knowledge, no one ever called her that.  It's a really pretty name.

(And I am still using Sylvia for my girl even though I've heard of the teasing possibilites of "saliva".)

• Loading the player...
  • That is pretty mean. I have never heard anyone intentionally say anything like that about the name.

but, it can be hard for little kids to say - when my SD was 6, she called the Disney character "Princess Arour-whore".... DH and I thought it was funny, but she had no idea.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I've been wondering if I'm the only one who has a hard time saying Aurora and Rory as an adult.  I think Aurora is beautiful but it doesn't roll off the tongue very well.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • I like Iris because it was my mom's middle name.  But every time my DH hears it, he chants "Iris the Virus".  I know how you feel about having a name ruined.  Sorry!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LMS05LMS05 member

imageEXL311:
    I've been wondering if I'm the only one who has a hard time saying Aurora and Rory as an adult. ?

I agree. It's awkward. My name is Laura and children never can say my name ( L and r's are difficult to pronounce). Aurora is even more difficult. ?

• I have trouble saying Rory as an adult.
  • Unfortunately kids can really tease about any name so I wouldn't really base it on that.  It is a pretty name.  But I do agree with pp's...I have a friend who named her daughter Rory and it's a hard name to say sometimes :)
  • Aurora isnt my style, It reminds me of my favorite Disney character a little too much, but I agree with everyone else saying that kids will find a way to be mean reguardless. If you love the name it shouldnt matter-
  • I have a 90 year old, great aunt Aurora and have never been able to say her name. Maybe it's because I have to attempt to say it with a Spanish accent everytime I do say it (she only speaks Spanish despite being born and raised in San Francisco and living in the States her whole life -- don't ask), so that just adds to the tongue twister.

Isn't Rory a boy's name?

• Aurora nickname Rory is one of our top contenders right now! I think it's beautiful and I wouldn't let that one teasing possibility ruin it. Like previous posters have said kids will find a way to make fun of any name and I don't think ah-whore-ah is a particularly obvious teasing name.

I am a little concerned about people having difficulty pronouncing it, but I don't think it's that difficult. It's much better than some of the crazy made up names that are out there today. I say go for it!

• imageMrsGarciatobe:

Well I have had my heart set on the name Aurora for a couple of years.  I love the name.  The nickname is Rory.

I just read on the internet that someone knows a girl with this name and kids at school called her ah-whore-ah.  OMG.  Kids are so freakin mean. 

I hope that's not your reason for deciding against that name.  No matter what your name, someone will find something to tease you about. 

Frankly, you are giving some anonymous person on the internet far, far too much power over such an important decision.

TTC since 3-08 IVF # 1 Dec 2011 BFP DD born at 31 weeks 6-24-12

FET #1 Dec 2013 BFN

FET # 2 Feb 2014 BFN

No more frosties

IVF #2. September 2014

PGD yielded 2 perfect 5d blasts

SET November 9, 2014
    Nov 23, 2014. Another BFN

Not sure where to go from here.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageLMS05:

imageEXL311:
    I've been wondering if I'm the only one who has a hard time saying Aurora and Rory as an adult.  

I agree. It's awkward. My name is Laura and children never can say my name ( L and r's are difficult to pronounce). Aurora is even more difficult.  

I don't see the appeal with this name. I can hardly say it as an adult. Rory is even harder. It definitely doesn't roll of tongue.

• Another reason why Aurora is a great name is because it's half the name of the northern lights. (I'm big on nature names and we live up north so this has special meaning to us)  It's also a Goddess in Roman mythology who, according to the myth, flew across the sky each morning announcing the arrival of the sun.

I still think it's beautiful and I don't think it is that difficult to pronunciate.

• I'd still use it. When I was in high school there was this one girl who hated me and started calling me Whorey-Lori even though I'd never had a bf in my life at that point or even kissed a guy. Like PP said, mean kids will always find a way to make fun of a name.
  • If ah-whore-ah really bothers you, which I think it would, then I would think of something else OR just use the name Rory. What can they do with Rory? Officially, she would be Aurora, but while she is in school she would be called Rory and then when she has her career and hopefully, is around grown-ups, she can use her formal name....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"