Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Can humidifier=worse cough?

I know there's very little we can do for a cough at this age, and the usual recommendation is to use a humidifier. We did that all winter during DS's various ear infections. Last month we quit using it as winter was ending and he was healthier. When he got sick again with yet another cold/cough, we started it again. That night, his coughing was so much worse. DH blamed the humidifier. I tried to explain that it is supposed to help. We didn't use it the next night, very little coughing.

Ok, so now DS has yet one more cold/cough, and had bad coughing fits in the night last night. I hadn't turned on the humidifier. I know the doctors all say that humidifiers help, but is there a chance that it could make it worse? I'm trying to decide if I should use it tonight but DH's pessimistic "doctor's don't know ***" attitude is starting to wear off on me. It's been a long winter with way too many colds/infections and we are so jaded. Yes, the humidifier is clean, I make sure of that. WDYT?

Re: Can humidifier=worse cough?

• Our doctor cautioned us to use the humidifier sparingly. He said that too much or constant use can increase mold and mildew and trigger allergies. So maybe you're hearing an allergic cough instead of a virus cough.
  • KRTKRT member
    Ditto PP.  Our allergist doesn't want us to use the humidifier for this reason.  She said to take DD in the shower with us or just put her in the bathroom with the shower/steam going.  She cautioned to then make sure that when we are done we run the exhaust fan for the same reason.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • maybe your humidifier needs a new filter...arnt they supposed to be replaced every 3-6 months anyway???
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"